Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Colliding Galaxies, by Hubble

Author Topic: Colliding Galaxies, by Hubble
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Stunning images of colliding galaxies from Hubble.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7366597.stm

Surely an inspiration to writers of SF, space opera especially. EE Doc Smith would have loved these pics.

They're whole galaxies, colliding. Not two, but many. Mega-millions of stars. How can anyone, including that daft scientist who thinks the chances of intelligent other-earthly life are small, believe we're alone in all this?!

In awe,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulUK
Member # 7906

- posted      Profile for PaulUK   Email PaulUK         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pat,

Thanks for posting this!

These kinds of images fill me with a mixture of wonder, awe and a kind of unfocused terror Exactly that sensation of 'the sublime' that the likes of Byron and Turner felt when they looked upon the Alps, I suppose. (And maybe Lovecraft would've seen the face of an Elder God in there somewhere!)

I agree with your sentiments regarding life in the universe: at least a hundred billion galaxies like those, each with a hundred billion stars, and who knows how many planets around each of those stars...I feel a Monty Python song coming on!

Cheers,

Paul

Posts: 55 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Colliding...or mating?
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh pretty! Thanks TS. Mating galaxies... now there's food for thought.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say more likely

Either a mega corporate merger, a takeover,

or two bacteria feeding on each other.

Any one of the ideas would be good stories.

two galactic corporations operate by moving their galaxies around. The corporations decide to merge. To do this best, they bring all their stars together to one place so they will be under one command location.
Like any merger, there is a serious mess up. They did not count on the clash of the space dust and the passage of the cores of the galaxies to create serious havoc. As with images we have of galaxy mergers, starts go flying wild in all directions before they eventually fall into line. the mega corporation finally settles their stars in place, then they are ready for the next corporate merger.

Each star system is a molecule in the sea of space. the galaxy itself is a microbe of a larger scale. There are predators and prey. Once in a while two predators will meat and try to feed on each other. It happens that The milky Way and Andromeda are both predators.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
The Milky Way is on a colliding course with the Andromeda Galaxy. Or so the red shift suggests. In truth, astronomers simply do not know if there is a rectangular component of the velocity vector so these two galaxies could go right past each other.

Anyway, that will happen in a couple of billion years. The Sun will probably not exist then.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there is evidence that the milky way has already swallowed a small dwarf galaxy already. I can't seem to find the article which talked about the suspected medium sized massive black hole that would indicate the star cluster (which is off the plain of our galaxy) indicates it was most likely a dwarf galaxy that is either going to be sucked into the milky way, or has already lost it's outer stars to it already.

I'm waiting for the day we can create a wormhole to a nice distance out so we can get a nice picture of what our own galaxy looks like...

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
or some sort of dooms day weapon an alien race used on another.

quite interisting i wonder if the alien verrison of GEICO covers glatic colition

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaucyJim
Member # 7110

- posted      Profile for SaucyJim   Email SaucyJim         Edit/Delete Post 
Part of Alastair Reynolds's work has focused on colliding galaxies, specifically ours with another, and I found it fascinating. Also scary. Fortunately we won't be colliding with a galaxy any time soon, so there's not much for me to worry about right now.

On a side note, the Hubble is awesome.

Posts: 59 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.