Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Book titles

Author Topic: Book titles
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know what the law is book titles? What if your book title is the same as a published book a few years ago in a different genre?
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think anything goes provided it isn't "Harry Potter and the ...." or some kind of obvious trademark.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems not to be illegal:

quote:
Barnes has his own experience of titles doubling up. "Originally, Talking it Over was called Love, Etc. I then discovered one day when I was walking past a second-hand book barrow in a London street, a book of that title and my heart just fell. It was by an American writer called Bel Kaufman, who was the author of a bestseller called Up the Down Staircase. Her Love, Etc. was out of print but I didn't feel I could use it. I came up with Talking it Over but by that time I had already given my French publishers the title of Love, Etc. and they refused to change it. To add to the confusion, a film of that book came out, also called Love, Etc. When I wrote the sequel, 10 years later, in Britain I decided that Kaufman's title had lapsed into forgettingness and decided to use it, except in France, where the book was called Dix Ans Apres [Ten Years Later]."

More at http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/12/19/1071337141618.html

Whether the risk of confusion is one worth taking is, of course, a matter for the author and publisher.

I suppose you could even do a new twist on an old title -- "iRobot" ?

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I had an idea and was thinking of a title that uses the word Half-breed. Of course that word has been used in the titles of books and films (even a song) quite a bit. Still, I'm sure I could think of a variation that is somewhat unique.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaldea
Member # 4707

- posted      Profile for Chaldea   Email Chaldea         Edit/Delete Post 
As I understand, titles can't be copyrighted. Doesn't make sense to me, but there it is. You might try googling "copyright law," or "copyright rules," and see what advice is there.
Posts: 75 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
US Copyright Office: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html

You can't copyright a title.

But you can try to protect it (or elements of it) as a trade mark. Wiley has registered "For Dummies", "Webster's New World" and others as trade marks, for example.
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Section/Legal-and-Copyright-Notices.id-100099.html

Hope this helps,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited May 05, 2008).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
(What if your book title is the same as a published book a few years ago in a different genre?)

I'd change it. You'll want a nice clean search if someone is looking for your book online.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
In the last two-maybe-three years, I've seen four books that use the title Here, There, and Everywhere---only two of them had anything to do with the Beatles.

So if you want to call your book Great Expectations or The Colour Out of Space or A Midsummer Night's Dream, go right ahead---so long as you're not representing yourself as Dickens or Lovecraft or Shakespeare. Apparently it's legal.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.