Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The Language Barrier

Author Topic: The Language Barrier
Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
OK so English as we know it is something of a continuously evolving organism, and if we went back in time it would be progressively less recognizable to us the further back we go. And spread out across our world, just one planet, are so many variations on language, and forms of communication, that it's clear that new civilizations contacting each other for the first time are going to have a struggle communicating at first. Especially if these civilizations are not only alien, but from different time-spans.

I have a cast of (human) characters that crash land their spaceship on a planet that is still in "the dark ages," and the people there (also human) are amazed by the strange newcomers and their technology. The problem is there is absolutely no way they would speak the same language. Except that I can think of absolutely no way to make the story and still respect that element of reality.

So first question is, what would you do? The second question is, would you, as a reader, look past the unrealism of the natives and "aliens" just happening to speak the same language? I would prefer to not make an issue of it, but I just can't imagine a reader being able to accept that without raising an eyebrow. And the idea of some kind of "universal translater/babel fish" type of device doesn't really work for me, because it feels cliche and also the technology of these space explorers isn't advanced enough. Thoughts?

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
There are gifted people (humans) who can pick up new languages easily. I've met a few. This guy came to China while I lived there and picked up Mandarin in three weeks then moved on to learn Vietnamese. My own father went to Pakistan. Spent three months there then came home where he wrote the textbook, the dictionary and started teaching the language.

There are processes already developed for learning new languages, too. Unless these are the first aliens your people have ever encountered, I'm sure they have some sort of software along to aid them cracking a new language, even weird ones like ones based on clicks, or tail postures, or ultra-high frequencies that the human ear can't hear (or vice versa).

Just let it work itself out for your characters. It can even be fun for the reader watching them try to communicate. You could show that going on then skip a few months ahead to where they have a working understanding of the aliens' language. A few misconceptions thrown in can also make the storyline take some unexpected turns.

Then of course, there is the "universal translator." But the other way is more fun for the reader.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaz
Member # 7968

- posted      Profile for Kaz   Email Kaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think your best bet here is to have a sort of psycholinguist character with the crew that can analyze the thought process of the natives and go on from there.

But, to be honest, I don't see why they'd have such a dilemma from the start. Think of how the Dutch first communicated with the Japanese when they made contact. The two languages are vastly different, they don't even use the same alphabet much less the same sentence structure, and there is really nothing to relate to vocabulary wise.

Besides, you can always use the old "point and tag" system, "Me Tarzan, you Jane" style.

Posts: 72 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Survival of the fittest--people who are great with languages are less likely to get brutally killed by encounters with alien species, and eventually that trait becomes a normal part of the gene pool.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
We Brits have long experience of meeting alien civilisations. Our technique was simple. Ignore their ideas of civilsation and impose ours. And make 'em learn English.

In retrospect, I like to think we regret that.

I think the stronger group will force itself on the weaker one, language and all--unless it has strong principles like those to which Star Trek's Enterprise crew aspire.

A scoiety could be in the dark ages yet stronger than advanced aliens, depending on how good the locals are with swords, and the aliens' skill with, and willingness to use, advanced weapons.

So if the group who crash land their spaceship feel strong, they make the locals learn English. If they are weak, they learn the local lingo--politely, without making waves.

Hopefully peacefully,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
(Never got the hang of learning a foreign language...took six years of French and flunked three of those years...tried German on my own but made little progress...)

You could have the (alien) characters speak a pidgin form of English, garbled and distorted and maybe mispronounced and misspelled, in the early scenes, while the (human) characters try to communicate with them...then let it go as the story progresses and the (human) characters get a better grip on the (alien) lingo. [I'm thinking Barry B. Longyear's "Enemy Mine" here as an example]

I'd be reluctant to use some kind of software / computer / universal translator thingy...besides being all done to death in hundreds of stories (and "Star Trek"), the ones that exist do an exceptionally poor job of the job. [Now I'm thinking of all those Japanese instruction manuals translated (by computer) into English.]

You might try differentiating the human-alien dialog in some way, like speaking in third person or being exceptionally formal or archaic, while any human-human dialog descends into more colloquial modes of speech. (This thought's my own, though I'm sure somebody somewhere must have done it.)

(...come to think of it, I was able to understand Sindaran Elvish when it was used in The Lord of the Rings movies, and I happened to be away from my seat and listening. Maybe foreign languages are not hopeless for me after all.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
In Shogun, James Clavell does a masterful job of showing a character being forced to communicate in a new language. His approach is to make the protagonist a gifted linguist and make the language barrier a key part of the story.

If you don't want to make an issue of it and don't want any kind of automated translated (vat grown Language Acquisition Device, etc) then maybe you make your aliens telepaths? Otherwise the astronauts might be stuck learning the local language the hard way.

That's not to say that they might not have sleep-learning machines and hi-tech education software that would put those Learn Mandarin in a Week tapes to shame...

Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
It can make it kind of interesting/present a unique dynamic between members of the star-faring crew to have only one or a handful of crew members able to communicate. It would force everyone else to go through them (best if the captain is not one of the communicators - he/she would probably dislike having to go through an underling for communcation) and could lead to issues where the person doing the translating decides to selectively translate, things like that.

I just recently read the Rama series by Arthur C. Clarke and the last of the four books has an extensive part (co-authored by Gentry Lee now that I'm thinking of it) where the protagonists/point of view characters end up embedded with an alien culture and have to learn how to communicate with them. It's hard for the humans to understand the aliens, who basically speak in color. The aliens, conveniently, can read lips. Gets around that side of it...and made for some really interesting stuff. You might want to pick up the book - I think it's called Rama Revealed (though it's best read as the fourth in the series. However, to be honest, they're dense books written in a pretty heavily descriptive style with omni or 3rd person limited shallow immersion - it's a little odd to read at first and took longer for me to read and absorb, but I did really enjoy them. Your mileage may vary.)

Good luck with this idea!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

Thanks for the responses, all. I'm more interested in whether or not (as a reader) it would bug you, and to what extent, if I just had the marooned humans and the native humans able to speak with little mention of a language barrier at all. Thoughts? It is important that these two "societies" converge early and work together to solve what becomes a mutual problem.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
If they're both humans with human physiology, I would expect that they'd be able to figure out a way to communicate with each other relatively quickly. I don't think you should completely ignore the issue, but you could handle it with a few lines about how tricky it was at first, and then fast forward the narrative a few months and mention that the language barrier has been overcome. Something like that wouldn't bother me, I've seen that sort of step-skipping done on more than one occasion.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they just landed a space-ship on a strange planet. If we'll buy that, we can hardly quibble about them acquiring the local lingo quickly.

It's all about willing suspension of disbelief. If the premise is interesting, we'll read on despite it being incredible. (I love the Firefly TV series despite the characters firing guns inside space ships!)

If it's an issue you feel must be addressed, then I agree that babel fish devices are cliched. If this is the first alien civilsation they've ever met, and this is a first contact story, it would be an interesting issue to address.

But if it's not the story's central issue, you'll need a short cut. Maybe they could have one or two linguistic psychologists aboard with a theory of developing mutual understanding and language quickly, and their theory works.

My understanding is that it's all about recognising common concepts and giving them names, so maybe they use dozens of flash cards with pictures of common items and actions. Or maybe they observe the natives, and take photos of common items and actions--with permission and after assuring them the cameras don't take away their souls ;-) Then, they sit around with the natives sharing food and giving names to items and actions, maybe English names, maybe local names, whichever works best--but mostly English names so that we readers can understand what's happening.

People who teach English as a foreign language do it this way, through pictures, and without translating into local language, so perhaps borrow some of their ideas. I believe that by using such techniques you can get from zero understanding to enough for survival quite quickly--understanding local literature would take a lot longer but would probably not be necessary for the purposes of the story.

Perhaps, too, they could concentrate on learning enough common language to deal with their mutual problem. That's what they'd do for real, right? You don't want to spend too much story time on this problem, and neither do your characters, so let them take the short cuts necessary--like, only learning enough to do the job.

Hope this helps,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited May 11, 2008).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaz
Member # 7968

- posted      Profile for Kaz   Email Kaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Alternatively, you can suppose that since the populace is human, their psychological language forming mechanisms are the same as those of the humans of Earth, so it's likely that their lingo is similar in many aspects to the languages of Earth, and seeing that Earth has a very large number of different languages, which can be further composed of different dialects, the chances are fairly good.
Posts: 72 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

Thanks everone. I have solved the problem and moved on. Your comments were extremely helpful.
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Alot of stories try to solve this by having academics, who are fortunate enough to know the language, as protagonists. Michael Crichton's Timeline (I know, I know) had a group of archeologists, Bridge Over The River Kwai had a professor of eastern Tounges. Their are thousands of other examples.

Just once I'd like to see a professor of Ancient Greek thrown back to Ancient China and left to flounder.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.