Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Writer's Organizations

Author Topic: Writer's Organizations
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
I have begun the process of writing the query letter for my novel. Every time I think about the author's bio paragraph, my heart sinks. Truth is, I have nothing to put. Nothing. Zip.

Well, I was reading that it could be benefitial to join a Writer's Organization, and that you could put that in your bio. Is this true? If yes, what are some good ones to join?

P.S. I don't mean this in a rude way, but please don't tell me "If you're worried about the bio, maybe you should try to get some short stories published before you try to sell a novel." I know. I know.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in the same spot before I had anything published. The only thing I could really do was go forward in the hopes whatever i presented in way of a query was strong enough to interest an editor. Having done that and getting a green light, writing copy that would sell. Now, with examples of published work, it is easier to get published. Having said that, I emphasize it is not easier so much just because I have published - but easier to get a "go ahead" because the editor likes the writing examples I provide. What I'm telling you is that it really doesn't matter if you have "zip" because the bottom line will be is your writing good enough in the eyes of an editor to want to publish it. Everyone starts from scratch - there was a first published book, story, article, etc. for everyone who has published. Write as well as you can - send it out - then write some more. Have faith - your writing will sell if it is good enough. If it is not good enough, all the peripheral stuff won't make it sell.

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited May 10, 2008).]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
http://hollylisle.com/fm/Articles/feature6.html

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the encouragement. Hatrack is great that way.

Actually, Tracy's article brings up a related question. What, other than pub credits can you put?
See, I actually do have a college degree, but it is in History. Relevant? Should I put that, for lack of something else to put?

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
The main reason editors want cover letters is so they have a record of your contact information together with the title of your work (so they know what goes together).

(Some editors also like to use the cover letter to put their coffee cups on, so that they don't leave a mark on the manuscript.)

So all you really need to put in the body of your cover letter is something along the lines of "Here is my novel, WONDERFUL BOOK (or whatever the title is), for your consideration."

That's all. Honest.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.