Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Short Story Market

Author Topic: Short Story Market
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I am in the process of trying my hand at a short story.
*gulps, loosens tie*

It is a dystopic/post apocolyptic love story. It is set in the future, so there is obviously a sci fi feel, but to be honest, technology doesn't play a big part.
Anyone know some good markets for a story like this? Would the big magazines even accept such stories? (I'm not suggesting that I could be published there, just wondering if I should even bother submitting.)

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gardener
Member # 7948

- posted      Profile for Gardener   Email Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Try www.duotrope.com as a resource. They have a great listing of markets.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't know until you try. Some good advice I think is to start at the top, so go for broke with it. Start with magazines like Asimov's, Analog, Fantasy and Science Fiction, Baens, Strange Horizons, and Intergalctic Medicine show. Then go on to the semi pros. Create a list of dream publishers from the one you would like to see your story in the most, to the one at the bottom you could still live with. But always start at the top.

Also, don't forget the contests out there like Writers Of The Future.

The thing to remember is that there are lots of stories submitted to places that get rejected, only to get printed later and even win awards later. Rejection doesn't mean you stink as a writer or that the story isn't any good.

Another thing is that you've got to always be writing. So finish the story, then start on another one, and when it's done, submit it, and write even more.

Well, that's my advice. Good luck with your short story!

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
also try the ralan.com listings and the Storypilot database searchy type thingy.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
If it explores how love might be in a dystopian or post-apocalyptic society the usual F&SF markets might be interested. I don't think technology would necessarily have to play a large part.

I think what's important is the speculative element. I imagine the modern version of Campbell's test of SF is something like, if you take out the speculative element, does the story collapse? In this case, can you take out the speculation about a possible future, and retain the story? If yes, if it's just a backdrop, I imagine it's a romance. If no, it's SF.

If it's speculative fiction about humanity in a miserable future I'd suggest Asimov's or Interzone, because I suspect they're less interested in the harder SF where technology tends to be a feature.

And yes, the big mags still break new talent, so why shouldn't that include you? Go for it!

Hope this helps,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited May 16, 2008).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. Good advice and great links. Duotrope in particular was a gem.
And TaleSpinner, thanks for the tip about Asimovs and Interzone.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Its odd when I first tried duotrope it only showed me a few markets, then i tried again today and there were lots more on the same search.

Odd. Perhaps its possesed by the Elder Things.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.