Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Details In Worldbuilding - Time

Author Topic: Details In Worldbuilding - Time
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found, as have many, that proper worldbuilding is an exercise in learning mountains of minutia about everything in the physical and the social structure of our own world. I find it fun (usually) to recraft the origins of social structures in particular for my specfi work, though I have been running up against one particular detail that has been bugging me to death because I can't think of a decent way to go about it.

The issue is that of how a society measures the more arbitrary lengths of time that make it function. For example, a year makes sense so long as you are on a planet orbiting a star. No problem - one full cycle of the seasons is a year, no need to make up a new word for year. Seasons, particularly as are related to the harvest cycle, also make sense, but in a quasi-modern society (like much of the 20th century), we don't really measure things by "spring, summer, fall, and winter." I suspect those of us on the west coast would have a tough time understanding calendars if we did.

The part that is tripping me up is to come up with a good basis for months, weeks, and hours. (A day is also trivial -- one spin of the planet). Months are a less awful issue, aside from coming up with names. Some of those were fairly arbitrarily decided in the calendar we use today, and I can recreate a history to decide how many there should be and hack together something for their names.

Weeks and hours, however.... I feel a little lost. The week itself was an arbitrary construct by agrarian societies to determine when farmers from distant areas should come to market to sell goods. This is why simple repeating cycles were used (N days, rather than looking at variations in the moon or seasons), from what I understand. We can probably trace the origin of our current seven-day cycle to the Judeo-Christian creation week story. My world is not in any way connected to Earth, so I have no desire to rely on our constructs. However, I also don't want to be different simply for the sake of being different. Should a week be less than 7 or more than 7 days? Is there a good reason for either? Does it seem like a hack if your week has seven days?
... Well, clearly this writer had no imagination... seven days in a week? Why not have the plot happen in New York?...

And then there is the problem of hours. I have no problem calling a somewhat-hour-length time span by the name "hour" (as it beats zigflub, or some other such specfi creation). I don't really have a good idea as to how many of them there should be in a day. "Meet me at the pub at 7" has a meaning in the book... is that way to early to go drinking, or just before midnight?

The society in my book is similar to ours in the sense that people structure their days by a work day (and use hours to do so) rather than by sun-up and sun-down, so it is nearly impossible and definitely unnatural to remove comments about time from their speech patterns.

Anyone know why there are 24 hours in a day? Have any good ideas for why there might be a different number? For the hours/day, I'd rather stay away from "because the gods said so," though a story about the gods, creation or otherwise, might be what I resort to for the number of days in a week.

With respect to the gods, in this book the gods are as real as are our own. That is to say, there are plenty of people who believe with all their souls that He exists and watches over us, but you can't go visit Him at his home and ask Him a question, and He doesn't hold court or send out messengers/news flashes, etc. These aren't Greek gods that talk with/kill/have sex with any humans or animals (though there might be societies that have stories detailing exactly that).

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing from people!

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyraxis
Member # 7990

- posted      Profile for Pyraxis   Email Pyraxis         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not structure weeks around whatever is a comfortable cycle of work and rest for your culture? You haven't mentioned whether they're humans or not so I don't know if their physiology would accomodate a different cycle better. Also if your planet happens to have slightly longer or shorter days than earth, then weeks might be proportionally shorter or longer in number of days so that the actual time covered is roughly equivalent to seven Earth days.

For months - a month on Earth is approximately one moon cycle, or one menstrual cycle of a human woman. If you're dealing with a planet where the moons orbit at a different speed in relation to the cycle of the planet around the sun, you might have a different number of months in the year. Or if the biology of your species is different, they might measure months at a rate that reflects some detail of it.

Posts: 188 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the consensus is that the 60 secs/ min, 60 mins/ hour and 24 hours/ day has to do with the way Babylonians counted (base 12).

Do a Google search--you'll find lots of resources.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that the other planets in our solar system have days and years (on Mercury the year is shorter than the day) but do other planets have months based around the cycle of their moon(s)? Why are there no science teachers to ask (more likely seeing I am currently in a High School staff room). Does anyone know? My main work is based on post-apocolyptic Earth so I don't have to worry about it as a writer, but as a reader it is something I rarely notice, for instance I just realised it is slightly odd that in Feist's Magician two different planets have the exact same length year, or close enough that a character spending a number of years on one world was considered to be missing for the same number by characters on the other world. Though maybe in Medieval Fantasy we can fall back on the old excuse from that episode of the Simpsons: "A wizard did it."

Grant

[This message has been edited by Grant John (edited May 22, 2008).]

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on our history,
The month is basically based on the orbit of the moon. If there is no moon, then one might choose a significant number in religion. Twelve is divided by one, two, three, four, six and twelve, which makes it a powerful number.

If you have a world that has an exactly round orbit, with no tilt on the axis, one would use a star to determine the year because otherwise, there would be no other measure of the year.

The month could be divided by another significant number of days. Seven was a holy number.

If twelve is the holy number you use for months of the year, then one divides the day by twelve, then divides the night by twelve, giving you your twenty four hours.

Then Sixty is also a holy number and easy to divide up by one, three, four, five, six, ten, and so on. It is very convenient a number to divide into smaller unites. Then seconds would also use the same holy number.

Where holy numbers are not used, a convenient number of days can be used for the work week. Of course, in some societies, there are no rest days. One works every day of the year.
One must look to see how many days a person can work without a rest, and how many days off in a year becomes a bit silly.
If one has two days off. a five day week is a bit silly. One is off almost as many days as one works. If nine days is the week, that means that there are seven days straight without a break. Anybody who has done that knows it is an effort.
Six days might be good and would fit the holy number thought as six is divisible. Eight days might be OK, just a tiny bit long.

I read one radical historian who said that at one time, there were 360 days in a year and twelve months. Then a world wide disaster hit and five extra days was added to the calendar and the month changed. An extra day was added to the week and that was the day of rest, one would point to in Genesis. It was a brand new day that nothing needed to be done.
He pointed to a number of things around the world, like the south American Native's calendar added five days at the very end, sort of cobbling the days onto it.

The key is to be logical on your reasoning for everything. Be consistant and the reader will accept whatever you come up with.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Ancient Mayans put days into a unit of 18, then they put 20 of these units into a new unit. They got a 360 day-unit. The other units always had 20 of the smaller ones. Maybe because a normal person has 20 fingers?
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the question of how aliens might handle time is a great one because our systems are, as you suggest, intimately related to our world and our ways. I've investigated it myself for a couple of stories, and because I'm curious.

Thanks, Annepin, for the Babyonian steer. According to my Google results the Babylonians may have counted in base 12 because we have three joints on each of four fingers that we can count with the thumb; or they used a base 60 system inspired by geometry, and somehow I prefer this explanation. More at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylonian_mathematics.

Either way, the base for the mathematical system seems to relate to what's easy--either counting on fingers or subdividing a circle using simple tools into equal portions.

The overall cycle of a year is, as you mention, driven by our orbit around the Sun. Subdividing it goes with the equinoxes and the need to know when to sew crops, and when to harvest them. I guess we subdivide further to know, for example, when to start preparing for such activities.

In the early days we told the time with sundials, water clocks and the like, and it was the invention of devices like these that brought in hours of equal length. The time was different in each town, just slightly, with midday depending on exactly when the sun was overhead. There were complicated procedures for adjusting your watch to local 'sun time'. Since a sun-dial is actually only correct at certain times of the year--because the Earth wobbles on its axis--there were more complicated procedures for adjusting the hour as read from the sun-dial into the correct time. (If you don't do that your hours are uneven in length and depend on the time of year, annoying if you're timing the baking of a cake.)

With sun time different at each station on a railway line, timetables had to either be printed in local time for each station, or translated into local time from a table printed using London time. People kept missing the train. Worse, railway engineers would say things like "Switch the points at 10.30 for the train going North", use local time instead of London time, and cause a head-on collision between two trains. This confusion was what made the railways standardise time across the nation--or in America, across just four time zones.

The need for accurate mechanical clocks was driven by navigation of ships at sea. You can navigate north-south according to the stars, but for east-west you need accurate time as well. On land that's not so hard, but at sea the problem was making a pendulum clock that can handle the rocking of the boat--a clock that rocks, if you will. Accurate clocks were invented as a result of a competition organised by the King of England, who tired of ships running aground and losing his treasure. (This was the "longitude problem", more at http://www.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conWebDoc.355. Scroll down for Harrison's Number 1 Marine Timekeeper, it's beautiful.)

These days navigation still drives a need for ever more accurate clocks, but now for GPS systems. Also, computer networks need accurate clocks to enable them to synchronise data and audit trails.

Methods of time keeping tell much about us, and could be used to weave in detail about an alien race and what matters to them.

Not a complete answer I know, but I hope something here might help.
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I gave my last work three extra weekdays and an unspecified-amount-longer year, but that was more for exotic color, and to have an extra couple of days in the weekend for plot purposes, than anything serious. I'd'a had to work it out a little more if I'd taken it to another draft (which I'll get to shortly, I hope.)

I think it was Vernor Vinge who had, on a way-future Earth, a "witching hour," consisting of the longer-than-twenty-four-hours period tacked on as Earth's rotation slowed down. I liked the color it added to the story, as well as the rationale.

Of course, Earth's rotation isn't exactly twenty-four hours right now...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe because a normal person has 20 fingers?

Could Be

Two prominent authors that come to mind that have sucessfully made time true to their worlds so-to-speak are Anne Mc Caffrey and Ursula Le Guin.

I have a difficult time with the endeavor. It is very hard to create a seamless system. Le Guin has tables in the back of her novel, The Left Hand of Darkness (One example I can produce readily)

It seems the most common to play it down. That is to say, I think most writers try not to make it a big deal. I suppose this makes it less confusing on readers.

Another factor to deal with is cicadium rhythm. Our bodies internal clock is very much influenced by evolution. Day and night cycles need to ressemble Earth's in order to suit our needs unless there has been significant alterations in our evolution.

If your world is earthlike, especially in fantasy, it might be best to make it as earthlike as possible, and play it down in a way that is not a big issue unless of course it is integral to the plot. The two mentioned authors had major reasons to clarify time. Le Guin was dealing with intricate breeding cycles of an alien race.

I have seen many sucessful fantasy novels where it wasn't really an issue. Although clearly on another world, time and seasons, never deviated from normal earth measures.

Good luck!

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

Because someone asked -- yes, the inhabitants of the world are humans. I was also interested in the wider topic for the purposes of discussion.
Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

I suppose this is another thing that I find difficult -- my fantasy world is fairly earth-like, and hours and week-lengths aren't a big deal in the book (the protagonist doesn't make watches or calendars), so I have no desire to try and work the calendar into the story. The only real purpose is so that people can say that they get off of work at "5," or some sensible number, and schedule to meet each other next week or next "Thursday" and know that this means the date of meeting is N days away. In fact, I doubt if I have a good reason to explain the system of hours or weeks to the reader at all (except perhaps in an appendix for the truly interested)-- but that doesn't mean that I can get away with not knowing what time people get off work.

I'd never really given much thought to the fact that 12 is a superior number (divisors add up to greater than the number)... which does make it convenient. I always saw that as a good reason for a system of measurement or money and never really thought about time. I'm a little wary though, of having things be identical to our systems because... it breaks the lack of reality, I think. If a world is familiar, and yet fantastical (because of magic and a different social structure), it seems to me that pulling things exactly out of our own world leads people to believe that there is a connection between Earth and the world in the story (which I never intend to have), or else it brings you out of the fantasy and makes you aware of the writing. It seems almost like coming across a fast-food burger store.

The effect, I think, would be as if you were a writer that came up with a new name for everything b/c it is in some alien language. Shoes are mggxzz, pants are bulgiizzax, cars are tilmukka, and so on. Suppose then that you somehow managed to find readers who were okay with all this. Imagine how jarring it would be then, when a character fastens his bulgiizzax with a "belt."

The Mayan and Babylonian examples are great examples of alternative systems of time and measurement definitely worth looking into.

Reinventing the origins of the smallest things that we use without a second thought today are some of the most frustrating and interesting parts of worldbuilding to me -- thanks for all the feedback.

I wonder perhaps if having a polytheistic society surviving into a more modern age would play a role in systems of timing, perhaps even making them notably different for neighboring nations who worship different sets of gods. Economic ties would certainly be a factor as well -- in a situation where there were two blocks of allied countries who mostly only did business within themselves, work-weeks could vary wildly -- would the measurement of hours do the same?

Jo1day
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for Jo1day   Email Jo1day         Edit/Delete Post 
One time system that I saw used by Sherwood Smith had time measured by candles--how long it took a candle to burn--and the day was divided into four quarters that had different colors) This probably wouldn't work in your modern society, but on the other hand, modern societies usually start from somewhere agrarian.

Another time keeping mechanism was "watches" (mentioned in the new testament) I forget how they line up with our clock, but presumably they corresponded with the changing of the guard.

As for weeks . . . I don't know. I mean, in my experience, most authors either only paid enough attention to a week to give it a rest day (for market or fair or whatever), or didn't mention them at all (I don't think you can find a mention of them anywhere in say, a Starwars novel or something similar. I don't recall Terry Pratchett noticing weeks, eithher)

Posts: 80 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

Out of curiosity, was there any standardization of the timekeeping candles? It sounds like in a society using this there wouldn't exactly be an international board of measures, but perhaps that a candle should be four handsbreadths of an adult man in length? Should be made of a certain type of wax or with a certain type of wick?

That actually might translate into a modern style nicely -- for example, when the timekeeping does get standardized and society does away with clocks, perhaps they still divide the day into "breadths" or "hands," in accordance with the old lengths.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Historically, we might have used hours but not necessarily.

http://www.britannica.com/clockworks/t_candle.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candle_clocks

Interesting stuff.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

One option is to have everything divisible by ten. Sort of a metric system, but different.
One could even have a system based on something in nature. A minute is classified as the time a fast snail found in nature can travel the distance between a man's elbow to his little finger, Or travel a cubit. It could be that an hour is the time it takes for a rose petal takes to float down the old river on a calm day during the dry season, from two royal docks.
A second might be the time that the variable star flickers when it is visible on the heavens A week might be how long the royal flower lasts from the time the bud breaks to the time the petals fall off.

Once everybody agrees to the figures, it becomes easy to work with.

Of course, instead of using week, month, year, one could use eight day, forty day, four hundred day, instead. One would get a description of the time periods and it would not require a new set of words.
One might use BELLS rather than hours, and just decide how many bells are used in a day. One might only use the bells during daylight hours. Also the day might start at noon rather than sun-up. so the start of the day is always the same.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never actually read any fantasy novels that had completely foreign time systems, and I've never stopped and thought "why would this world use seconds minutes and hours?"

For me, it would be akin to stopping and saying "wait a minute, why do all of these people on another world speak English?!"

There is always a line, imo, where it's not a matter of making your world unique; it's a matter of translating to the reader. We pretend that these fantasy worlds speak our language or we couldn't read the dialogue. I also believe this often applies to distances as well. If the main character thinks "what's that I hear in the woods, it's about 50 grlumfs away..." that doesn't tell us anything, unless we know how to translate a grlumf into feet, meters, or something we're familiar with. Most of the time, the extra effort pulls us out of the story, rather than making the story seem more believable. I believe the same is true even more so with time. The vast majority of humankind uses seconds, minutes, hours. It's the way we think about time. So unless you have an extremely important reason that your world needs a different time system, I say stick with seconds/minutes/hours/days.

At the same time, I would argue that the number of hours per day, the number of days per month (if there even is a "month") or days per year are somewhat different scenarios. The day and year of a planet are defined by the geometry of the solar system. More so in science fiction than fantasy, I would be somewhat suspect of people on a planet that just happens to have identical 24 hour days and 365 (well.. and a quarter) day years. At the same time, again unless it really matters, there's no reason to bring these issues to attention in any novel. Just because 20 year old John Smith lives on a planet with 483 day years, doesn't mean there can't be some "standard year" by which people age themselves.

I'll stop ranting now. =P

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mitchellworks
Member # 6779

- posted      Profile for mitchellworks   Email mitchellworks         Edit/Delete Post 
About using "bells" for hours, note that that's a nautical reference. I might tread a bit farther and have a bird that crowed on the hour, "cahs" or a lizard that clicked: "chirps" or something more fantastical.

On the wider subject, time is very important to my WIP and it's been really fun to play with. In my world, time operates at 1/6 the speed of Earth and the sun-up sun-down time is only 1/12th of the total day (I won't bore you with why). And, most of the inhabitants are only active during the day. So it led to an interesting realization for me that the nocturnal inhabitants were active for TONS of hours (132 to be exact) without the others, leading to some interesting plot ideas!

So in some cases, time is important to plot, and so you might call attention to it. Otherwise, any play you do with time should add to the realism of your world but I think it must be done delicately so as not to end up shouting out "look at my clever author."

Posts: 86 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertB
Member # 6722

- posted      Profile for RobertB   Email RobertB         Edit/Delete Post 
Does your world have an accurate calendar? The old 360-day calendar had to have extra 'intercalary' months added periodically to stop it getting totally out of kilter. Eventualy things went wrong during the civil wars at the end of the Roman Republic, leading Julius Caesar to introduce a new, more accurate calendar. Then his got out of kilter, and we had a new calendar in the 18th Century, which we still use.

When does your era start? Different places in the eastern Mediterranean used to number their years differently, counting from different dates. There are all sorts of complicatrions you coiuld get into, if it matters to your story. Does it? Or do you just need the odd vague mention of somethng to add colour. If so, you don't need all the detail.

Posts: 185 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

A quick reply b/c I'm still at work -- yes, my world does have an accurate calendar. The level of technological advancement is very roughly comparable to that in the United States around 1900.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I definitely don't want to invent a crazy system of timing that is going to draw people out of the book, but at the same time I have a problem with "see you on Tuesday," appearing in the book, and it does seem odd that a work day might be something like 9 to 5... the hours are just too perfect. Days will still be called days, years called years, but a year isn't 365.25 days long. I've read about the ancillary years in some ancient calendars and don't particularly intend to use them. There are more or less two systems of measurement in use by the wider world here -- that of the "free world" and of the "great overbearing former-conqueror-of-all-superpower-that-everybody-hates-now state".

rstegman
Member # 3233

Before advent of powerful unions, most work was nearly from sun-up to sundown. Afterwards, the nine to five hours were developed.

Ben Franklyn invented the concept of Daylight savings time. His idea, though, was to be done during the winter. Candles were expensive.
What he proposed is that the people come to work an hour early, and use candles for the fixed morning hours. The would leave work while it was still daylight so they would burn their own candles for the night.

Edited to add that the store chain, Seven Eleven, got its name because it was the first store that was open from seven in the morning to eleven at night, when towns would close down completely at five in the afternoon.
competition caused other establishments to extend their hours, to have more shifts. Now, Seven Eleven is open twenty four hours a day because of the changes they forced to happen.

[This message has been edited by rstegman (edited May 28, 2008).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.