Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Copyright Question

Author Topic: Copyright Question
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 

Now I know you have to obtain permission to, say, use the lyrics of a song in a story. But what about dialogue that references copyrighted characters? In the story I am writing now, a character talks a bit about The Fantastic Four. Would that be a problem, copyright wise?

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
If your character is talking about the Fantastic Four as people who live in his world, that could be a problem. If he's talking about having read a Fantastic Four comic book, it's unlikely to be a problem.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't be a problem.

When I got my copy edits back there was a huge list of all the public places, people, and even a few fictional characters that I mentioned. They checked them for accurate spelling and such, but I was fine to use them.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If your character is talking about the Fantastic Four as people who live in his world, that could be a problem. If he's talking about having read a Fantastic Four comic book, it's unlikely to be a problem.

I agree. If they are people who live in your character's world, then your character lives in someone else's copyrighted universe, and you writing a story about such a person gets into copyright infringement.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Copyright protects specific expressions of an idea, not an idea itself. "Fantastic Four" is clearly an expression, not an idea. It's protected.

2) The question, then, is whether you can use the protected expression in your story without liability. The answer to that question is going to boil down to whether your use of the protected material constitutes "fair use." That's a fact intensive determination that will depend on the fine details of your proposed use.

3) If you're serious about avoiding copyright infringement, then contact a copyright attorney (like me) when in doubt. I can't (won't) give specific legal advice in a public forum, but I can point you in the right direction if you contact me personally. (or, if you don't like the cut of my sail for whatever reason, I can refer you to one of my many capable colleagues in the field).

[This message has been edited by J (edited June 02, 2008).]

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
They say that some corporate organizations will send "cease and desist" letters when one's intellectual property is used, whatever the context or use, even if the use is fair use.

I suppose the ultimate expression of this is the George Lucas / Star Wars / Mad Magazine story. After Mad parodied Star Wars, they got a fan letter from George Lucas only a few days before a bean counter at Twentieth Century Fox sent them a stop letter. They sent the bean counter Lucas's letter, with something like "Gee, your boss seemed to like it" scribbled across it, and never heard from him again.

(It's been eight or nine years since my first fanfic, and four years since my last (to date). Nobody's ever contacted me about copyright infringement, though I'm pretty sure I can be tracked down. Probably I'd cease and desist if they asked me nicely...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
No, the Fantastic Four don't live in my universe. I realize entirely that writing ABOUT the FF or in the Marvel Universe would be a copyright issue. I'm talking about metafictional reference here. The character is one of the four teenage protaganists of the story, who do have unusual (magical) abilities, but in no other way resemble the Fantastic Four. He compares them as a joke.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaucyJim
Member # 7110

- posted      Profile for SaucyJim   Email SaucyJim         Edit/Delete Post 
That should be okay. Fair Use protects that, I believe; or at least it's an insignificant enough reference that Marvel won't likely care.
Posts: 59 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.