Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I went to the coffee shop

Author Topic: I went to the coffee shop
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Without my laptop so of course I came home with two paper napkins covered in notes for a new novel. (FINALLY an idea for a new novel.) The moral being never leave home without a computer.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, this sound likes a tip, that would be tip #?

Second, FINALLY, would make me think you have been after ideas for a while now. Therefore maybe you should leave the computer behind more often, hey? Now I am going to try for the smily face.

Congrats on the new idea.

Edited: As in my novel, I found many words to cut.

[This message has been edited by Tiergan (edited June 05, 2008).]

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Or instead of using computer/napkins you can use a note book, or a little digital voice recorder. They help with me sometimes.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be heavy into photography.
I never saw those cool pictures when I had a camera with me.
Only when there was no way to get the picture.
I once saw a tornado about a hundred feet above a building but no film in the camera I was carrying...

If you carry a laptop where ever you go, you will never come up with an idea.
I have dozens of tear sheet note pads spread around, so I can write a note if I need it. My ideas are noted on there, reminding me of the idea, and I then develop it farther once I get home.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know about the voice recorder. If I carried one of those around, I couldn't shake the picture of myself as Norm MacDonald in Dirty Work, pulling out my recorder every couple of minutes to record a "Note to self..."
Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been notebooking it at my kids' swim lessons this week - forty minutes of uninterrupted bliss (if I stick my ipod headphones in and blast something to drown out the sounds of splashing, whistles blowing, the echos, and other parent chatter that is the chaos of fifty kids learning to swim simultaneously in an indoor pool. LOL)

I have found it to be really productive. I'm brainstorming a story idea right now and I feel like I'm getting farther, if you can believe it, on paper than I would if I were typing it. I am also free to do things like go up and down the paper, draw pictures, circle some text and draw an arrow somewhere else, and otherwise just making a royal mess of my notes. It's kind of... liberating.

Glad you got some brainstorming done. I have written entire articles (first draft, of course) on the backs of the random sheets of paper my kids bring home from school or activities - notes from the PTA, coloring sheets from gymnastics, whatever. LOL

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
It reminds me of going back to college for my second degree.

What used to happen in coffee shops(group study, discussion, etc)is now all done on interactive forums. In class, I could barely put a name with a face, yet I had talked, studied with them countless hours from a remote location.

Sometimes it is good to put the Mirado Black Warrior (my pencil preference) to paper. Human interractions are also very inspiring to story writers. I should put the laptop down more and go for a walk with a notebook. I might be a better writer for it.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with those who said 'leave the laptop at home more often.' I get all my ideas when I'm either driving across country from one assignment to another, or walking for pleasure, or sitting in a pub. My mind is free to wander, to take in new things I see or hear and extrapolate into the future, or juxtapose into characters, concepts and plots.

I think ideas come from fresh stimulation, getting oneself out of the same ole, same ole. For notes on the move I always carry a pen and some 3x5 index cards in a Levenger pocket briefcase.

http://www.levenger.com/pagetemplates/navigation/preview.asp?params=category=11-76%7Clevel=2-3

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, TaleSpinner, you are organized! I usually manage to carry around a notebook somewhere in the tote bag I use for a purse. I agree, though, there's something about being away from the computer, and being out and about that stimulates the mind. Some of my best story ideas and characters came during my long runs. About five miles out on the trail, boom, something would hit me, and then I'd race back home repeating whatever it was over and over in my head so I wouldn't forget.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StephenMC
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for StephenMC   Email StephenMC         Edit/Delete Post 
Mhmm, computers are distracting.

I carry around a small notebook for any ideas, though most go toward songwriting rather than storytelling. Generally works out.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
My cell phone has a notepad function. Sometimes I write on that, or else on the voice recorder. When I'm writing notes, most people think I'm sending a text message, which is sorta funny, since I've never actually sent one. When I bought my phone, I got offered some Billion Texts Per Month Super Bonus Package, but all I wanted was a 24 hr clock. They didn't have any phones with that, much to my chagrin, so I took the cheapest one in the store.

Oh, and receipts work well, too.

You'd be surprised, actually, how much dialog you can fit on your forearm.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a desktop, a laptop and most recently an ASUS EEE PC. It comes with linux and open office. I run windows 2000 on it, although you can install a slipstreamed version of XP, and use AbiWord. The whole thing weighs less than a kilo and is about A5 size.

It is great for when you don't want to commit to lugging a heavy laptop about. My EEE PC cost about £200 and althought the keyboard is small I can type at my usual speed once my fingers have adapted (they shrink!).

I must say I have been very impressed with it. I can't be doing with napkins.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE writing in notebooks, but I find that I'm less focused on one story over time. On the computer, pop open my story, keep typing away at it. In my notebook...I usually flip through the pages and look at doodles, or cool ideas from a week ago. And then I start something new or different.

I try to save notebooks for when I need a fresh moment. Otherwise, I keep them on the shelf while I punch away at what I know I need to get down.

The Tape Recorder makes me think of Michael Keaton from the movie, Night Shift. He always says crazy things into it, one of them being about feeding Tuna Fish Mayonaise to it comes ready in the can. Loved his character in that movie.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't be doing with napkins.

Hmm. Do we need to discuss regional terms for things (again--I'm sure there's a topic around here somewhere for this)?

If I remember correctly:

napkin in England = baby diaper in US

napkin in US = serviette in England

Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, congrats JeanneT. That's great.

And, keep those napkins. They might be worth a lot of money one day.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
annepin - my mother-in-law gave me one of those pocket briefcases years ago. I dug it out of the far reaches of the top drawer of my desk (aka the black hole) about six months ago, purchased some new cards for it (I'm addicted to grid paper, I don't like to write on plain lined paper) and now it's what I carry in my purse for my anywhere/anytime stuff.

There's also something really hilarious in Anne Lamott's book "Bird by Bird" - her writing book. She talks about carrying an index card with her everywhere, because as a writer you just never know where inspiration will strike, but she folds it lengthwise. Crossways tucked into a pocket would be too bulky, and you know as a woman it doesn't do to be bulky in the middle. It was there in that book that I determined writers are all neurotic. Somehow that was reassuring to me, not sure why.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
We once called it a napkin, today it's a nappy.

So yes, ask for a serviette over here if you're at the dinner table. Unless you're really messy.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So yes, ask for a serviette over here if you're at the dinner table. Unless you're really messy.

Is it me or are these differences in British/ American English designed to trap us into embarrassing situations?

KayTi, yes, that section of the book made me laugh. I remember thinking yes, she's quite neurotic, and then thinking, wait, I have a lot of little neuroses too, when it comes to writing.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Napkin in the UK is something to wipe your mouth with too. Here is a thread where they discuss its usage (serviette versus napkin) and apparent relationship with your background/perceived class.

http://tinyurl.com/5wz2lm

Personally, I always say napkin--but then I was privately educated and probably picked it up there, if the above is true.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

That makes me working class then. No surprise there.

quote:
Is it me or are these differences in British/ American English designed to trap us into embarrassing situations?

Depends what Americans mean by "embarrassing" ;-)

There's potential for embarrassment whenever nations talk. Kennedy famously said when he visited Germany, "Ich bin ein Berliner". He meant, "I am a Berliner" but some of us think it means "I am a jelly donut."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ich_bin_ein_Berliner

Not all the differences between American and the Queen's English are slang. Amongst my favourites are the American usage of "gotten" and "oftentimes" which over here have fallen out of use. To to our ears American can sound quaint, an echo from a century or two past.

Pat

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as far as alternative paper supplies go...sometimes I'm in the bathroom, and while I'm sitting there an idea hits me...but the paper in there is so hard to write on...anybody besides me have that problem?

(I was just reading an article that talked, in part, of how German words, fallen out of general use in Germany, were retained in the dialects of the Pennsylvania Dutch and the Volgadeutch, among others. So it's a common phenomenon, not specifically linked to English.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.