Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Publishing fan fiction

Author Topic: Publishing fan fiction
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
How is that done? I have seen tens of Indiana Jones or Star Wars fan fiction stories in the local bookstore. Some writers wrote about children of Leia and Han Solo and gave Indy whole new adventures to experience.

I have a fan fiction story that happens in the world of a computer game. I merged the story from the game with my own story and created quite an interesting hybrid. The local characters from the game are in it but the main characters are mine.

Can I possibly publish this?

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I found any writing critque groups I had a novel going based on fan fiction that nobody else has doen (and still hasn't). I tried contacting someone from the company to see if I could get permission to try and publish it. I even sent them the first couple of chapters and a synopsis with my idea.
They sent me back a letter saying they weren't allowed to read it but thought my idea was intriquing. They didn't tell me no but wouldn't give me a yes. Ibstead they suggested I find my own legal advice on the matter. A friend said that meant a literary agent.
If you have something written send a synopsis and the first few chapters to one along with a querry on how to proceed. I imagine they don't hand out permission to anyone but if you write something good on something popular, you'll get some books sold.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
Those aren't fan fiction per se. They're licensed stories set within what SW fans refer to as "extended universe". Unless you've already been okayed by the folks from, say, Blizzard, to do the gig, you'll probably have a hard time getting anyone to print your stories. At least not without getting sued.

Numerous fansites are dedicated to publishing fanfics, especially gaming related ones. Try some of those.

[This message has been edited by EP Kaplan (edited June 08, 2008).]

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there are two kinds of stories that are termed "fan fiction." The one most people know about is fiction written by a fan of a particular movie, tv show, or book, and it is some kind of continuation or "filling in the blanks" of the original work, and so "derivative" fiction.

Attempting to publish that kind of "fan fiction" without the permission of the original creator is copyright infringement and can lead to nasty legal experiences.

While some authors allow "fan fiction" with the understanding that the fans who write and share it with other fans are not making any money from the original creator's creation, others are very protective of their creations.

Only writers who are actually licensed to write such stories (as EP Kaplan has said) by the original creator who has made some kind of arrangement with a professional publisher, can publish such work for payment, and often it is under a "work for hire" arrangement, where the licensed writer doesn't receive royalties and may not even get a byline.

The other kind of "fan fiction" is much older and involved original stories written by fans of science fiction and fantasy who also shared their stories with each other in much the same way that derivative fan fiction is shared around. The writers of the original fan fiction were quite dismayed to find their term for what they wrote being taken over by those who write derivative fiction, but that's the way things happen, I guess.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
snapper, you know, of course, that the reason they weren't allowed to read what you'd sent them was probably that they didn't want to risk a lawsuit from you later on, claiming that they had stolen your ideas. (Though how they knew your ideas were interesting without having read your submission puzzles me.)
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Because KDW, I sent them a cover letter explaining my idea to them.
It wasn't the plot they commented on, just the idea that a series of novels could be written about their cartoon. That's all.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't care much about payment. I'm more interested about getting attention by the right people (not sure who those might me). The idea of my work was to take a story I like and put my own stuff with it without breaking the pattern. I must still like it afterwards. It's also good exercise to tell the story in book style and not game style which has significant flaws.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
WotC is the biggest publisher of game based books since they own D&D and the games that grew out of it. Writing those is by invitation only, generally speaking.

There are websites specifically devoted to publishing amateur fanfiction, but the chances of garnering any professional attention from those is nil, in my opinion. I know people who have fun with it though. Since no money is involved the copyright holders generally turn a blind eye.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

quote:
Because KDW, I sent them a cover letter explaining my idea to them.

It wasn't the plot they commented on, just the idea that a series of novels could be written about their cartoon. That's all.

Ah! Thank you for the clarification, snapper.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
You can pretty much get any fanfic writing you want to do out on the Internet. At least you can for the edification of the fans of whatever fictional universe you've chosen to write in. You can have fun writing it.

As for getting it to whoever's producing the source material, good luck---but don't pin your hopes on it. Nearly every place of this sort won't read, say, any unsolicited material for fear of plagiarism lawsuits. (They won't read fanfic for the same reason.) A lot are "closed shops," where the only material they consider are solicited submissions---they asked somebody to write something for them.

Still...Star Trek emerged from the muck of fanfic and established itself as a viable sub-genre of publishing. Others have, too. Near as I can tell, these are pretty much closed shops as their originals, but you might be able to get something to somebody who might give it a fair hearing.

Yes, I've done Internet Fan Fiction, and relatively recently in my career. Roughly from 2000 to 2004, it was all I wrote. I have a strict policy of not mentioning the series by name here---others have, but I don't. But I put them out under my own name, so I, and they, can still be tracked down.

I got into it because I was attracted to a number of good works in the field, because I had some ideas I wanted to work out, and because I had little luck trying to get something published in book or magazine form. I had barrels of fun---I knew I would never make any money from it, and never considered trying it on the series creators. I believe more people read my fanfic than read anything I submitted to the magazines---and a number of people took the time to tell me how much they liked what I had written.

(The notion that none of it is any good is false---I found much of it every bit as good as what I was seeing professionally published. And I know of at least two fully professional writers, lotsa sales and everything, who turned out some of it while I was still writing.)

I got out of it when it ran its course...feeling refreshed and reconfirmed in my ability to write. Even if none of the so-called "professional publications" I submitted to thought so...

But I digress...

A possibility in getting something like this professionally published is to offer to buy the rights---negotiate a payment to them for the right to publish something with the copyrighted characters and background. It might get expensive, but some places might be amenable if the money is right. (Good luck with that.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
I have used fan fiction in the past as a sort of exercise for 'playing in someone else's backyard.' Practice for writing screenplays, synopsis, novelizations, etc., within existing fictional worlds/universes. As I am pursuing a career in the TV/film industry, this has always seemed like a good idea.

So many people sneer at fan fiction. I, for one, admire fan fiction that is written skillfully and with an equal amount of love and care as original work. It is true that the majority of the fan fiction out there is unskilled and, perhaps, not worth reading. However, one must understand the challenge it presents. When you write your own, original story you can do whatever you want with it. Writing fan fiction means you must play by someone else's rules (their 'backyard'). There has to be an integrity involved...an adherence to the 'canon' of a series, film, game, etc. The characters must think, talk, and feel like those from the source material, or else the fan fiction will fall flat on its face.

It's an endeavor in playing with another's toys so well that others can't help but think it a seamless extension of the original activity.

In this sense, fan fiction is a valuable way of practicing one's skill. However, it also possesses an inherent danger: one can be easily snared into writing only fan fiction...mainly because that becomes one's comfort zone.

This can spell death for any professional writing career that might have been (or greatly hinder it). It is important to balance fan fiction as a method of writing exercise, and the cultivation of original works, lest you become trapped by its particular advantages.

Inkwell
------------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited June 10, 2008).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
When you get down to it, in a certain way, (amateur) fanfic writing resembles (professional) TV script writing---in both cases, you'll be writing about characters you didn't create living in a universe you didn't create, trying to be true to them while giving them your particular spin. (There are a lot of differences besides the money, though.)

I found fanfic quite a good way of sharpening my writing pencil, so to speak. I learned a lot about my own writing skills, from what I read, what I wrote, what others said, and what I thought when I reread what I wrote.

I might yet write another (a couple of ideas flit through my brain, occasionally demanding attention), but I thought it better to move on to other things, including another stab at submitting for publication.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.