Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » critique groups--are they useful?

Author Topic: critique groups--are they useful?
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I just attended the second meeting of a brand new critique group, and it wasn't anything like I had imagined. We sat at this long table in a big, stuffy room and read excerpts of our work to each other, and that was all.

Now this is a fledgling group, and none of us seem to know what to do, so I thought I'd throw some questions out there. Do any of you belong to off-line groups that are at all useful? What makes them work? What would you do differently if you were in charge?

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
After taking a night course on writing, our class continues to meet as a critique group. We email our stories to each other and meet once a month. Those of us who actually read will bring along hard copies with our critique. We go around the table and critique each piece in a respectful manner. Sometimes someone will bring a short piece that has not been shared and read it aloud.
This too is a fledgeling group but two of our members (leaders?) are published SF/F writers. The advice we give out is very similar to what Hatrack has to offer but is face to face.
If I could change anything it would be our meeting place. We have no real facilities and we meet in restaurants. Also I would like a more dedicated group. Some weeks my stuff is the only thing we critique because the others were too busy, and personally I don't enjoy that much attention. More members would cure that, but our group has shrunk somewhat.
On a positive note, The teachers from the class, who kindly lead our meetings, have offered to let me join in on their writing group if ours fizzles out. Their group consists of several published writers in a number of genres and they meet every second month.
I almost hope for the demise of the regular group

Edited to fix typo

TWICE!!

[This message has been edited by Cheyne (edited June 11, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Cheyne (edited June 11, 2008).]

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Whether a critique group is useful, in my opinion, has largely to do with how organized it is and how committed the members are.

I've been in several over the years and this is the strategy that seems to work best:

1. Screen writers--not necessarily for their skill in writing but for their commitment, goals, and approach to critiquing.

2. Meet once a week or as often as possible.

3. Most important: Send work out to review ahead of time! The groups where you simply read excerpts at the meeting are difficult. Rather, if people are committed, they should be willing to submit (up to 10 pages or whatever) and come to the meeting having read the work and being prepared to give their critiques. I've found reading aloud just really doesn't give me time to formulate my comments.

4. Keep the meetings tight. There's tendency for people to socialize, which is fine, but you're there for a purpose--to crit work. If you're spending more time socializing than critiquing, that's a problem. If you're doing more than one person's work per session decide on how to divide up the time.

Other, perhaps less important stuff:

Agree on critting guidelines. Find out what people already know about critting and guide them to resources (critters.org has a great guideline)

Agree not to argue! Esp important for the person being critted. No qualifications about their work, no arguing back and forth with the critter. The work should stand as written. In one of my groups we came up with a nonsense word to call people on it when they started qualifying their work or arguing with critters. It worked because it was a ridiculous word and would help diffuse the situation when people started taking crits too personally.

When I've started a group I asked potential group members what their goals were and made it clear I was looking for writers interested in getting published only, and looking for people currently working on a novel. This eliminates aimless or hobby writers. Then I ask what they want out of the group to see if it's along the lines of what I want. Then I'll go through how I envision critting will happen. There are several good sources for guidelines, including OSC's Writing Sci fi and Fantasy (I think) and U. Le Guinn's Steering the Craft. Then we'll give it a go and see if the personalities work out.

When joining an existing group I follow much the same protocol. I ask what they're about, what their goals are, how they critique, and look for commitment and organization from the writers. Then I'll go to a meeting.

Even if all the elements are there, the personalities can still clash, so don't think too much on it if it just doesn't seem to work out.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited June 11, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
In-person writing workshops typically follow a set formula. Manuscripts are circulated in advance of the discussion period. Turns are scheduled so that everyone knows which meeting they will submit their manuscript and which meeting their manuscript will be discussed.

A managable manuscript length or excerpt of 10-50 pages is on the hot seat for discussion from 15-30 minutes. It's a good practice to have at least two manuscripts discussed in a session. Taking a brief break between discussions is a good idea, too.

The writer reads a page or so passage from the manuscript. Then the floor is opened for discussion.

The writer is not permitted to speak during the discussion except when called upon to answer queries on points of fact. After the discussion period, the writer can ask questions, but not explain the story. If they didn't get it . . . Critiquing a critique is the worst case of bad workshop form.

Salient points for discussion are what works and what didn't work. The discussion is more user friendly when it's balanced. It's a best practice to begin with what works. Salient points should be substantiated by examples. Empty praise and shallow flattery are generally discouraged. The facilitator or another participant might prompt a direction for discussion or query a fellow workshopper for a more thorough or in-depth response when a simple compliment or statement is made.

Personal attacks are strictly prohibited and should be rigorously discouraged. It's brutal enough without making it personal. All comments must be directed to the story. For example, it's bad form to say "you did this, or that on page 5." Instead, make it about the manuscript under discussion, "The transition between scenes on page 5 jumped tracks." Offer suggestions on how to rework an awkward passage. "If a scene break was indicated by a blank line or a #, the proofreaders space character, the transition would be smoother. Avoid phrases like "It needs more something."

It's a good idea to have a shared lexicon of writerly terms. Plot, conflict, protagonist, setting, etc. If the group doesn't share one, it'll take up time to explain terms. Conversely, a facilitator would be well prepared to circulate a glossary of terms.

One valuable feature in the workshop paradigm is practicing New Criticism. See Wikipedia for a comprehensive breakdown on New Criticism.

Mechanical style, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and formatting issues are best marked directly on the manuscript rather than taking up precious workshop time to discuss. However, the first rule of copyediting is do no harm. The Chicago Manual of Style is the prefered arbiter of style for fiction writing.

In general, the parlimentary procedure for informal meetings as laid out in Robert's Rules of Order should be the guiding principles for procedural processes. Whose turn it is, who has the floor, who can interrupt a speaker who has the floor, etc.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited June 11, 2008).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been in several critique groups. Some worked well and some didn't. The one I'm in now is a long-standing group of mostly published authors which has entry by invitation only. The ones that have worked best for me were genre-specific which the one I'm in now is. I don't really want to have to put up with a lot of literary pretensions in my critique group. Been there and done that while getting my degree. My patience is limited.

The mss should be exchanged ahead and an agreement set up on how the critiquing will be done. While I prefer to have a group concentrate on plot and character problems, that might not be everyone's preference, especially for people who are newer to writing. This is the kind of thing that should be discussed and agreed upon.

It would be helpful, it sounds like, for your group to have at least one member who is experienced and could give some guidance or you might want to look for an existing group if this one doesn't work out for you. Sometimes you have to go through several to find one that's a good match and that's nothing to feel bad about.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited June 11, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I almost hope for the demise of the regular group.

Become the guy that organises the meeting and...

Make a rule that people can only attend if they bring at least 1000 words of new material. They will stop coming after a while...

OR

Tell people individually that the meeting is at so-and-so restaurant on whatever night (send each person to a different restaurant on a different night) yet make sure you turn up with the teacher at another restaurant. Then you can go, "Yeah, they have a real lack of commitment--how can I grow when they starve me of nutrients?" He should then make the solid offer...

I am here to help...

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited June 11, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

quote:
On a positive note, The teachers from the class, who kindly lead our meetings, have offered to let me join in on their writng group if ours fizzles out. Their group consists of several published writers in a number of genres and they meet every second month.

Can I just come and join that one too?

I just hate the thought of wasting my free time at something less than useful. After all, that's two hours I could be spending here at Hatrack

Maybe I'll print out this whole thread and take it with me.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

How is this for timing. I got an e-mail from my teacher inviting me to come and meet with her writing group(as mentioned above). I guess I didn't need to use Skadder's advice, but thanks for it anyway.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I was tempted to ask if I could come meet with your regular group, Cheyne. Sad to hear it's dissolved - at least that's what I'm inferring.

Oh well... I'm mucho busy these days, and doing less and less writing

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Warning: RANT AHEAD

I just got back from my "critique group" and if I hear on more "That was fabulous" or one more "Beautiful, that was just perfect" I am going to scream! The sweet people in my critique goup need to look up the definition of critique in the dictionary. You all have spoiled me for decent society. (That's a compliment) I honestly almost walked out.

I'm glad I didn't though, because this 80-something man who sat in the corner asked me for a ride home and he turns out to be one of the most interesting people I've met for a long time AND he's a fabulous author...mostly of poetry, but it's fantastic stuff. I guess that's serendipity.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Unwritten, in answer to your initial question (and as you have found out), critique groups can be useful, but they aren't necessarily.

A really good critique group can be invaluable, but so can a single "wise reader" who is well-trained.

You just have to keep trying until you find a group that can give you feedback that will help you improve as a writer, not just feel good (the group you've found sounds as if it is of the latter variety).

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I just got back from my "critique group" and if I hear on more "That was fabulous" or one more "Beautiful, that was just perfect" I am going to scream! The sweet people in my critique goup need to look up the definition of critique in the dictionary.

You know...I'm in your neck of the woods. I emailed you, don't know if you've gotten it, but, if you want all-too-honest feedback...

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Unwritten - take IB up on that offer, he's good.

And meanwhile, your experience with the 80 yr old participant might be one example of how writer's groups are useful in non-obvious ways.

Mine isn't much of a critique group. They actually officially call themselves a "writer's support group." It suits me, though. I sometimes get critiques from them, the written ones are better than the oral ones. I think people really fear giving you honest feedback to your face. The way I have broached this with the group is to talk about a part of the story I *know* has a problem, a passage I'm having trouble with, a character motiviation that isn't solid enough, a backstory that I haven't really thought through. If I talk about a problem I'm having with the story people are very willing to jump in, roll up their sleeves, and help me address if. If I just read...well, then there we are.

We have a poet in our group who I think is looking for more critical feedback, but I don't have the ability to evaluate poetry, I just don't know it that well. So, instead I'll offer to him whatever I did notice, so that he knows what worked. He happens to use a lot of really descriptive and tangible language, so I mentioned that tonight and I think that was appreciated.

Meanwhile, a new guy came and read a (far too lengthy, sigh - he didn't listen to the group leader's guidelines and then just kept reading!) passage from a WIP of his and I broke the ice with the other members by suggesting to him that he needed to learn about "show, don't tell." and then gave an example of how to show one particular thing.

I ask for help brainstorming sometimes, and that gets me something.

But then I also get to spend 1.5 hours every 2 weeks in the company of a really eclectic group of people complete with personality tics and behaviors, authorial voices that I can almost pick out if we were to trade papers and read blind. In fact, I think I will mention that to the group leader as something to do when we do our informal summer gathering outside of the regular group meetings.

But seriously, I go not because I get good critiques, but because I get a lot of *other* things out of the group.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

I just got the e-mail IB, and sent you one back. My Yahoo account is acting strangely lately, so let me know if you don't get it.

Just how much critiquing are you offering to do?

[This message has been edited by Unwritten (edited June 13, 2008).]

Cheyne
Member # 7710

Jayson,
I'm not sure that our regular group is folded completely, but if it revives I'll let you know. Another writer in the group would be nice. One who writes, I mean. Plus some Hatrack critiquing skills would be much appreciated by all.

Anyone can say you can't write; don't let anyone say that you don't write.
anonymous

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'd say a chapter at a time, if it's a larger work. After the end of this month. I think this is the last time I'm entering WotF for a while (I keep saying that). Got my sights set on higher goals.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of a good resource for finding/founding local and/or online crit groups? I use the Fragments & Feedback for Novels section here, but... I'd like more input, and meeting in meatspace would be nice. I live in Raleigh, NC. Well, moving there from Seattle in a week.
Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
North Carolina has a broad range of writing resources. Raleigh being the state capital, and a leg of the Research Triangle, is a dynamic center for activity.

Off the top of my head, see The North Carolina Writers' Network at http://www.ncwriters.org/

The classifieds section may start in the right direction. The networking potential may lead to conferences, workshops, calls for submissions, manuscript marts, readings, and other events for meeting and greeting writers.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.