Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Realms of Fantasy submission

Author Topic: Realms of Fantasy submission
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Realms of Fantasy isn't a publication I usually submit to but I did send one in to them a few months ago. I noticed this in Duotrope: Submissions are acknowledged within 31 days on average.

Since I haven't heard a word from Ms. McCarthy and crew, I'm starting to wonder. Anyone have some experience with how they usually work?

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
Reply time for ROF has been pretty quick in my experience. I'd take the delay as a good sign

K--

Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Since October, I've sent three stories to ROF and I believe that timeframe is about right. Of course, I've never gotten past Doug Cohen(aka slushmaster), but he's given me three yellow form of promises with some handwritten notes as to why it wasn't sent up to Shawna.

If your story made it to the next level, I believe he'd email you. Of course, if your spam filter caught the email, or his snail mail rejection was lost, or there was a post office mixup...

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited June 15, 2008).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tlmorganfield
Member # 3461

- posted      Profile for tlmorganfield           Edit/Delete Post 
Doug Cohen posts updates on his blog for when he picks up new batches of slush. The last batch he's reported is for stuff sent between 2/29/08-4/23/08. If he's passing your story up to Shawna, he sends you an email telling you so. If your postmark is in that time frame and you don't hear anything back from him by the time he reports the next batch of slush, you should probably send a query.
Posts: 13 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

It was in that time frame so that's helpful to know. Thanks.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a story that isn't a classic Fantasy. It's about a woman with a split personality that became two seperate people. The word count just puts it out of many publications requirements. I believe that I could classify it as Magical Realism.
Is Realm a place I could send it? They seem more like a Lord of the Rings type of fantasy.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Review Doug's blog. He is reading ROF back issues and reviewing them. They seem to publish many types of fantasy. I could be wrong but magic realism might actaully do better than epic fantasy.

Addendum: Unlike Asimov's or F&SF, they do have a stricter word count. See their submissions page.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited June 16, 2008).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I do think they probably do more magic realism than epic, not that I've done a survey. That's just an impression. I've seen them do a pretty diverse range of fantasy including some that you scratch your head to figure out how they ARE fantasy.

I don't think their word limits are very constrictive. Here from their submission page:

quote:
Stories should be no longer than 10,000 words, and can address any area in the realms of fantasy: heroic, contemporary, traditional, feminist, dark, light, and the ever-popular "unclassifiable."

Incidentally, I have reviewed his blog and darn if I see a reference to where he is in the slush pile. I believe you, just can't find any entries on the subject. It is an interesting blog though.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited June 16, 2008).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.