Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » horse trouble (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: horse trouble
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
These steps were up a steep mountainside, and I think the camels were probably too smart to try it.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited June 24, 2008).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
One word about Frank Hopkins. He was a fiction writer and wrote those dime novels that were popular at the time. Most of the stories that he wrote were about himself and people thought they were factual when they weren't. Most of the tales that are thought to be true about this man and the rides he did are false. Do a search online, and you'll see what I mean.

I guess I should add that I believed them, too, until I read the evidence stacked against it.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Crystal, I don't know whether that ride was in one of Hopkin's novels or not. My understanding was that it was documented but I could be wrong. It was through the middle of the highly populated section of the US even then.

Figure it out. That would average between 50 and 60 miles a day which is hardly anything I would personally consider impossible for a good horse and rider even for a lengthy period. Averaging 5 miles an hour (quite typical for a saddle horse) we're talking about 10 hours or so in the saddle and ample time for feeding, watering, and grooming as well as resting both horse and rider. And novelist or not, there is little doubt he was an experienced rider.

Also in those days the roads wouldn't have been asphalt as they are now and would have been much easier traveling for a horse. They were made FOR horses at the time.

While I agree that we have to not OVER estimate what a horse can do, it's equally as wrong to UNDER estimate what they can do. There was a reason why people spent a lot of time and money on saddle horses. In those days they weren't just expensive pets. They can travel further per day than people can.

I find nothing unbelievable in someone traveling that distance in the time cited. Some of Hopkin's tales do stretch the credibility, but I don't really think that's one of them.

Edit: Take a look at the reference in his list after that one:

1920: The first U.S. Cavalry Mounted Service Cup race averaged 60 miles/day for five days, carrying up to 245 lb. of rider and gear.

This one I know is documented and was a substantially more difficult feat since the horses were carrying a heavy weight which really increases the difficulty as you well know.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited June 25, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeanne; I never once said that a horse that is well conditioned ridden by a rider that can handle that horse couldn't do 50 to 60 miles in one day. I just said that most average horses couldn't do it, and most riders wouldn't do it. I really have not disagreed with you, but you seem to think so. I stick by what I've said on that particular topic and have stated my credentials.

As for Hopkins; I do believe he did make some rides over distance but I do know the one he's the most famous for was false. It was just a story he wrote and nothing more. Too bad that Disney made it seem like it was true.

It's my turn to want to drop this subject, and my last post wasn't even about how far a horse can travel in one day. I was just warning other Hatrackers that not all the stories about Frank Hopkins are true. The majority of them are not.

I know horses. I've spent almost my entire life with them. I've shown on the national levels, trained all the horses I showed myself, and have even beaten some of the pros in the field. I've been a riding instructor for years, and spent time as secretary of an international horse registry. I've trail ridden almost all my life, too, and have been in association with two of the top distance riders in the country. So, if anything about horses comes up, again. You can just bet that I'll be there to offer advice.

I wish you well, and hope you have many more years enjoying horses. I'm sorry that you took what I had to say the wrong way. All in all, I think the whole thing was one big misunderstanding. Truce? Here's my hand held out for you to shake.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not absolutely certain I want to get dragged into this argument, but... *sigh*

[Edited to add: Oops, I posted just when the argument was being ended. I hope this doesn't start things up again, but I'd hate to delete the post after taking the time to write it.]

JeanneT wrote,

quote:
But people used to do that kind of thing regularly. We forget how much people rode.

I'll admit up front that it depends on the time period and where you lived, but this statement isn't true. It might generally be true for the rich, but the rich aren't most people.

In fact, for much of history, most people didn't travel very far at all. Most people who had a horse used it to do farm work. It was poorly fed compared to today or to rich people's horses. These horses primarily worked in harness, but probably were also ocassionally ridden bareback (or, if you had the money and the need, they used a saddle). But most lowerclass people generally walked or rode in wagons rather than rode horses. These farm horses wouldn't be up to long travel at fast paces, though they could pull a loaded wagon about ten miles a day (I need to double-check that number) every day for months. Yet this is the horse that was the most common in number until cars and trains started to replace them.

Freight merchants would have had horses, but those horses were used in harness to pull heavy loads slowly over distance every day.

Rich people had horses that were generally well-fed, well-rested, and fit for the type of riding rich people did: riding to hunt, for pleasure, to oversee their estate, to visit other estates, etc. Again, many of these horses would be trained for harness and used for farm work or to pull carriages. Not all would be trained or used for riding long distances at fast paces, though some would be.

As we've already discovered in a previous post, military cavalry horses where probably the fittest horses for long distance riding, though they were not necessarily the best fed. Those in the cavalry often had more than one horse and would switch off between them when riding hard. This allowed them to go long distances at fast paces for short periods of time with somewhat heavy loads. An individual horse at the top of its game might do the 60 miles per day while carrying the rider and equipment, but he wouldn't be able to keep it up for long (i.e. probably around 5 days) without a good rest and feeding afterwards. On the whole, though, unless you were a Mongol, even cavalry mounts weren't pushed that hard because they stayed attached to a slowly moving infantry column.

So your typical fantasy adventurer might own a "fifty miles a day on a dirt road for a week, then rest" horse. After all, they can afford more armor and weapons of higher quality than is historically accurate. However, if your adventurer lost his horse in the country and needs a new one, an endurance horse isn't going to be easily available. He'll have to ask the local gentry to sell him a hunter or hope a military detachment is nearby, has some cavalry, and is willing to sell one of their remounts.

Keep in mind that these are all generalities, so exceptions can always be found (and I'm sure JeanneT will find them). However, this is just an overview of the subject for those interested.

[This message has been edited by DebbieKW (edited June 25, 2008).]

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would I find exceptions, Debbie, except that you seem to dislike me? You explained it reasonably accurately.

Of course, most people didn't have riding horses. Most people didn't have horses at all. Most plowing wasn't done by horses, for that matter. Oxen would be more likely to be used or even human beings at times.

Horses were expensive to buy and maintain which is why they wouldn't have kept them if they couldn't travel further in a day than a person could.

Edit: At no time did I discuss exceptions. A fit and well maintained horse can pretty easily travel 5 miles an hour, in fact can probably go faster than that. 5 miles an hour is a fairly conservative figure.

Crystal, sorry that I misunderstood what you were saying about Hopkins. I've also read that he made up that story that was made into a movie which I don't even remember the title to. I just misunderstood your point. I don't know whether the trip from Galveston took place for sure, but the figures involved aren't outrageous at all in my opinion. Mind you I wouldn't care to take a 30 day riding trip, but I've never ridden for days at a time.

My point which Debbie seems to want to argue for some reason, is that many people did make extensive riding trips at one time. No, not peasants and not even a lot of upper class. But it was hardly uncommon. Traveling by horseback was a practical way to travel if you were traveling light and could afford a horse or even better two horses.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited June 25, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Camels were/are expensive, too.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
Horses were expensive to buy and maintain which is why they wouldn't have kept them if they couldn't travel further in a day than a person could.

Yes, horses were expensive to buy and maintain. However, are you saying that no one would possibly buy a tractor since it's not useful for driving long distances at fast speeds? One of the things I was trying to point out was that different horses were used for, trained for, and suited for different tasks. Your above statement seems to say that a farmer wouldn't buy a horse if it wasn't fast, but it wasn't speed he was desiring in his horse. He'd look for its ability to plow more or haul more than a human could.

Also, a well-fed and fit plow horse isn't going to be that quick when compared to a well-fed and fit hunter or racer. It's somewhat like you wouldn't ask a body builder to suddenly run a marathon: he's not built up his body for that task.

At no time did I discuss exceptions. A fit and well maintained horse can pretty easily travel 5 miles an hour, in fact can probably go faster than that. 5 miles an hour is a fairly conservative figure.

The Frank Hopkins tales were the exception I was referring to. His tales wouldn't be very impressive if every rider and horse was capable of doing those feats, true? Yet you used them to illustrate what an average horse was capable of doing. The examples on Elan's list all show what a fit horse trained for that specific use was capable of, but you use those examples to support your statement of what an average horse is capable of.

Like others have said, I agree that a well-conditioned riding horse can handle going 50 to 60 miles per day for several days. But most average horses couldn't do it without risking their health.

My point...is that many people did make extensive riding trips at one time. No, not peasants and not even a lot of upper class. But it was hardly uncommon. Traveling by horseback was a practical way to travel if you were traveling light and could afford a horse or even better two horses.

Ah. That wasn't what I was getting as your main point. Anyway, in most cases, I'm not arguing your point but your wording. Here, you say, "many people did..." and in the next sentences agree that "most people" didn't. To me, "many" means a very large number, like more than half. In this context, however, your "many" seems to mean "it wasn't uncommon." Yes, traveling on horseback--or by walking or in a wagon or carriage drawn by horses--was not uncommon. I agree with that.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.