Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » A Dragon by another name...

Author Topic: A Dragon by another name...
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
What might you call a dragon...well something like a dragon, but more like asian dragons, small and serpenty. Small, as in the mass of a medium human, serpenty, long, but has arms and legs and wings. Stealthy, magical, flies in the night, steals dreams, causes dreams. May or may not have the ability to take human form--no is actually summoned from an orb, buy the user of the orb. It is the only magical creature in this Fantasy World.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... do you mean, a species name, like dragon, fire-serpent, wyrm, or aerosaur?

Or a personal name, like Ted?

Jayson Merryfield

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited June 23, 2008).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouroboros comes to mind.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Basilisk, wyvern, lung, ryu, tatsu...

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
ophidian, draco, firedrake, iguanid ...

Ted might be too familiar for one so fearsome, so Edward?

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Thanks all. Good leads, I like Theodore. It sounds more proper than simply Ted.

I am having trouble with this one. The characteristics, I think are more like an Asian dragon, but the world would likely come across Europian, with French tones. The French name is Vouivre, but I hate it, and I don't want the world to feel too french.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Ophia~ The Basilisk?

I really like ouroboros though. aren't they percieved as ancient African? Pharoas...etc? I don't read enough Fantasy to understand fully the implications or trends in naming one way over the other.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
how about BOB.

BOB the asian dragon.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Ouroboros is an ancient iconic myth, sometimes worm, snake, or dragon eating its tail. The Ouroboros legends are widespread in creation myths of many primitive and not-so-primitive cultures. Some speculations on the origins suggest that Ouroboros is a representation of the Milky Way galaxy as perceived in the geocentric model of the universe.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited June 23, 2008).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Drake, Wyvern, Naga, Draconian...
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the word itself is Greek.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get too fancy, as a reader I prefer a spade to be called a spade. I think there are enough different kinds of dragons in fiction (including asian dragons) that the reader will listen to what your dragons are like.

Completely just my opinion, just thought I would throw it in there, good luck,

Grant John

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I am using a Vietnamese creation story that I would share with you. Lac Long Quan was the Dragon Lord of Lac.

I also have a dragon named Dahn Lura which (roughly translated) means "to strike fire" in Vietnamese. (I hope!)

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

How does this sound? Ophia, the basilisk, is the product of the orb, which is the source of magic in the story. I like the idea of the little dragon consuming itself, and was tinkering with the idea of incorporating that into the way Ophia enters and exits the orb. In Her full sized self she lies around the pestle on which the orb sits, begins consuming her tail and shrinks into a glowing halo around the orb. Of course the process is reversed when the basilisk is summoned. Does this sound like it could work? or just a hodgepodge of junky tactics?
extrinsic
Member # 8019

The dragon consuming itself, chasing its tail, shows the magical nature of the being rather than explaining the method of the magic. I think that is the ideal manner to incorporate imaginative premises in fantasy. By the time readers have realized the magic is in operation, they've passed beyond the phase where suspension of disbelief is most vulnerable. Magic is shown, it's taken as a given. However, showing the magic doesn't explain, summarize, or provide the backstory of the object's mythology. Developing the mythology of the orb might be tricky, but it's far less problematic when its influence is shown first. Excalibur is an example of an object's mythology that's admirably related in the various renditions of the Arthurian legends.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited June 23, 2008).]

Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, an Ouroboros is highly linked with alchemy, if that interests you at all.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.