Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » 60k

Author Topic: 60k
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a discussion per se... Today I hit 60k with my WIP novel. It's been a long time coming, and getting from 50k to 60k took a LONG time, but I did it!

Not done the novel yet (probably another 30k words or so), but I'm quite proud of this so far. It's the longest piece of writing I've ever done.

Just wanted to share!

Anybody else have any milestones recently?

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Great news. Keep it up. I am glad to hear that you are nearing such a great accomplishement.

I am just starting to draft the beginning chapters of my first novel.

I have written and submitted seventeen short stories since I started writing in January '08 though. That is something I am proud of.

I look forward to reading your, "I Did It!" post in the near future. Good luck.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got a thumb under a story that's been decades in the making. It's historic fiction, that's as much as I'll say. After years of research, the obstacle to progress, with manifold false starts and reams of sketches, was where to start the story in a way that would stimulate emotional involvement, start the plot movement, and correlate with all the benchmarks of the plot. I wasn't thinking early enough in the timeline. One more obscure piece of the historical puzzle opened up the story's beginning. Now I can't put it down. Shazam.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertB
Member # 6722

- posted      Profile for RobertB   Email RobertB         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't worry too much about length; I checked a while ago when it was just under 100 000, and while it's grown a bit since, it hasn't grown much. The first draft was around 35 000, and it just growed for a while. If something gets ridiculously long, that's probably a sign that it wants cutting; if it doesn't grow to a reasonable length, then I'd wonder whether there's enough material there for a novel.
Posts: 185 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep at it. A good beginning.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anybody else have any milestones recently?

I just published a major best-seller!!

No, wait... that was in my dream. Nevermind.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
You dreamed my dream? Isn't that some sort of copyright infringement?

*calls lawyer*

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited July 06, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.