Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Deciding on markets

Author Topic: Deciding on markets
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone convince me please that I should go out and buy a package of patience--I have none naturally. The time frame for sending short stories to Pro markets just gets to me. By the time you send short stories to all the Pro markets it takes literally years. So I have this tendancy against my own better judgement to simply start with the Semi-pros because there I have a good chance of eventually getting a sale.

A much published writer acquaintance told me that the solution is to have 50 short stories out minimum. Then you don't notice how long it's taking. Yikes.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
A writer told me the solution was to write novels. LOL

I think it can be depressing, you're right. I have no solution...I only have my stories out at contests right now - that's my carrot (or is it my stick, hard to know?)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean. Even the lesser markets can take awhile though. I have two subs out that are over six months.

I haven't submitted to a pro market, but from what I hear the slush is answered very promptly, sometimes less than ten days including mail time. Not to say that you would be slushed, but from what I gather response times are not bad. There are certain markets I will avoid at all cost now that I have experienced there response times. Duotrope has the cool feature of the response tracker, which helps to find markets and their trends. It also adds to the anticipation when your story breaks the mean of typical slush rejects. If you are like me then you will just love to see that your story made it four weeks longer than the typical rejection

I will have to agree with the more you have out to market the less you will notice, but I haven't yet reached that comfortable plateau.

Chin up.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Write a new story.
2) Once you are satisfied with your story, toss it to the markets.
3) Forget about it until it's time to send it to the next market on your list. Repeat as often as necessary.
4) Go To 1.

The way I look at it, you might as well submit to the best first and then work your way down the list.

Once you've finished a story, don't let it take up any more of your creative energy (Heinlein?)

[This message has been edited by NoTimeToThink (edited July 10, 2008).]

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

quote:
I haven't submitted to a pro market, but from what I hear the slush is answered very promptly...

Don't I wish. IGMS is routinely three months or more; RoF is was four months on my last (also my first with them) submission--or should I say rejection; Strange Horizons tends to be more than a month; Baen's runs around three months; Clarkesworld Magazine
one to two months; Pedestal Magazine runs over a month.

F&SF is fast though which is nice. I do appreciate their nicely worded rejections--they have such a nice slush reader but one of these days I'd like to get past him. LOL

My problem is that I know there are markets where I have a possibility of a sale. They aren't high visibility, high status pro markets though. I should be concentrating on breaking into those. My real problem is I kind of feel like I don't have any chance in those markets. I'm going up against (we're all going up against) the best of the best there.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, submitting science fiction short stories to anything that's not the pro and print markets gives me the heebie-jeebies. This severely limits me---essentially, I'm down to just two places.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Bear with me for a sec for a wacky train of thought.

Sometimes I think that a story I've just spent hours and much blood, sweat and tears polishing is my best story ever. You know, like EVER.

Then I remember that this story is leaps and bounds ahead of the story I wrote last (whenever - I'm not very prolific, so for me it's probably last quarter, or last year...)

So...using this logic, the stories I *haven't* written are going to be much better than the slop I'm writing now...

So, to further this line of thinking, sending the slop I'm writing now to sub-pro markets is probably a good idea, since I'll write better stuff next time.

LOL, I said it was wacky. Rather self-defeating as well. And as I said above, I'm not really submitting much other than to WOTF and the other contests.

I think there are semi-pro markets that have good reputations, and getting published in them would be a positive. I haven't done the market research myself, but I distinctly remember this part of King's On Writing book where he talked about the cover letter from an aspiring writer, and the one where the writer mentioned semi-pro markets where his/her writing had appeared, etc. King's assessment was that was a good stepping stone, a good way to make your way into the writing world. Of course he's biased because this is how he did it, but still - that image of the cover letter has stuck with me.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, KayTi, I don't think that's so wacky. It makes sense to me.

I think the key is to just have as many stories as you can circulating out there. Of course, this doesn't mean hastily written stories, just as many polished stories as possible. That way, you're hedging your bets and you constantly have some 20 stories out there. It's one way of "speeding up" the process, though you aren't actually speeding anything up, just increasing your chances of getting published by having more stories out there. Of course, there's always going to be a jam at certain, slow markets since you can only send one submission at a time.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Been awhile since I've written anything that seemed an order better than what I've done before. I'd get that all the time in the first years of writing, every year or so. But, long about 1992, the last time I thought I'd done it, I seemed to hit a plateau. I've had some backsliding stories, but no real breakthroughs since then.

Of course, it doesn't stop me from thinking what I'm writing right now is the best thing ever---I suppose that keeps me going. Cold rereads make me think I can do better than this---which is why I have a policy of lettings things sit for a month or two (minimum) before revising.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I dunno, Kayti. I'm not sure which semi-pro markets would have that prestige, which isn't to say some don't. I'm just ignorant of them. Mostly I've been told that token markets aren't considered a stepping stone to semi-pro or semi-pro a stepping stone to pro, but there could be ones where that isn't the case.

I'm not sure how to judge that.

Edit: annepin, I can't even imagine having 20 stories out. I hope maybe by the end of the year to have 10 or 12 out and even for that I'm not holding my breath.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited July 10, 2008).]

JeanneT
Member # 5709

I was thinking about this thread last night and got to wondering. Kayti mentioned that there are good semi-pro markets and I was wondering what ones people consider those to be. Any suggestions? I'd be happy to include them on my list if I know what they are.

Edit: Yes, I know I can get a list of markets off Duotrope and look at the magazines. I'm thinking more of the ones that people consider respected or a stepping stone to better markets.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited July 11, 2008).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Ah, I remember the days when I could keep that many stories out to market. For the first ten years of writing, I wrote a dozen stories a year. Now if I can manage one complete and finished story a year, I feel like I've accomplished something.
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but the stories accumulate. If you get 5-10 stories out a year, in three years you'll have close to 20. If you get two published a year ( is this optimistic? pessimistic? I have no idea) the you'll still come out with a good number.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeanne, I suffer from your lack of patience as well. Right now, I have 17 stories and/or poems out to market. It doesn't keep me from sifting through Duotrope's "What's New" tab nearly every day (if not twice or three times!!).

Now, this is an interesting question, and part of it, I feel, drives to WHY you write. Is it for the money? Or is it for the love?

Now, as to picking a market for a specific piece, I have found that there are several things you can do to figure out if there are markets that aren't Pro that you want to sub to. I personally use Duotrope a lot. First, I narrow down my search to Token and Up (but I NEVER use the length search delimitor). Then, I run two concurrent searches, with two separate windows open (since Duotrope will squinch the serach results to the sreen size). This lets me sort for the same attributes in both pay and acceptance ratio. In this case, I scroll the Acceptance ratio to the bottom to see which markets have the lowest acceptance rate.

So for example, in doing that, I find that Wrong World (Pro rates) has a higher acceptance rate than Aoife's Kiss (Token rates). If I had something that fit (or had been pub'd at Aiofe's before), I might submit to Wrong World. Also, I look at the acceptance rate. If the market is Token, but does 100 subs a year, and its acceptance is 1.5%, then this is a market that may bear submission to. Its a challenge. And, it might be that since I write a lot of poetry, and much of it is literary, that I've found that in some cases, Pro market has nothing to do with what they pay.

For example, caketrain, Ploughshares, Alaska Quarterly Review, and the Beloit Poetry Journal are all in the top 15 for being the most challenging poetry markets on Duotrope. All are non-paying. If you've been published in Beloit PJ, I'm guessing you can get a chapbook published before you can say Walt Whitman.

See, I don't have the same "wanna send it to a Pro market" issue. Six months ago, I was happy to get a publication at all. Once I got that under my belt, I was happy to have a sale (ANY sale). Now, I don't submit fiction to any market that is non-paying, because in a lot of cases, those have a VERY high acceptance rate, and may not push your writing to where it should be. Also, since I've sold both poetry and prose at semi-pro rates, I feel that if I can't sell it at the Token or Semi-Pro level in its current state, that it needs some more polish.

I guess I assume that some day, in the future (hey, I'm only 39, so based on family characteristics, I've got 30 more years to write,) I'll write a story that simply shouts "F&SF" or "PodCastle." But I haven't written one of those yet.

Also, and this is just a personal quirk, I don't think that Pro pubs are really all that. In my humble opinion, most of the 20 or so that you have to get published in to get SFWA affiliation are closed to us mortals. (Cemetery Dance is pretty much who you know, and Subterranean magazine is invitation only.)

Good luck,

T2

[This message has been edited by Igwiz (edited July 11, 2008).]

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I have never submitted to non-paying markets. I have sold to token markets but I doubt that I will submit to them in the future. I don't feel that I get anything out of it.

My goal as a writer is to be a professional and, yes, that means making money at it. For me, it's not a hobby. There's nothing wrong with being a hobbyist writer, but it's not what I want.

I'm looking for professional writing credits from my short story writing. For that, the publication needs to carry a certain amount of prestige. You can say that of the SFWA markets. Other markets, I'm not sure of.

I don't do horror so Cemetary Dance is out anyway as is Subterranean and Brutarian. Not Asimov's, obviously. Strange Horizons is in effect 100% contemporary fantasy. There are about ten SFWA pubs that I submit to.

Frankly, at this point if I don't think that when an agent looks at they'll say "good credit" I don't bother.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited July 11, 2008).]

KayTi
Member # 5137

I don't know that this will help you - but I tend to look at what those I know (and the only writers I known who write in this genre and regularly submit are my "online friends") are selling to.

There's a forum here on Hatrack that is a bragging rights forum, though for the life of me I can't recall the name of it right now. I also see where Liberty Hallers submit/sell to (the other online writing forum I participate in actively.) Between the two I feel like there's a good list to compile (though I haven't done the legwork to compile it, LOL) of respectable publications.

Link - Hatrack Writers in Print. Was bugging me so I had to go find it.
Hatrack Writers in Print

[This message has been edited by KayTi (edited July 12, 2008).]

JeanneT
Member # 5709

I'll take a look at it, KayTi. Thanks. Anyone have other suggestions?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Y'know, you can go to the bottom of the page, where it says "Hop to:"...click on it...and behold! you've got the name of every forum right in front of you...
KayTi
Member # 5137

Brilliant, Robert - thanks!
KayTi
Member # 5137

JeanneT - here's a few publication names I'm noticing on LH. I may not have the names perfect, I have no direct knowledge of many of these, some may be pro, or may be on the other end at token or nonpay, I don't know - but here goes:

Realms of Fantasy
Sword and Sorceress
Interzone
Shimmer
Helix SF
Paper Blossoms, Sharpened Steel
Flashing Swords
Sorcerous Signals
Weird Tales
Abyss and Apex
Black Gate
Desolate Places
OG's Speculative Fiction
Ray Gun Revival
Ficticious Force
Tales of the Talisman
The Written Word
Electric Velocipede
Drabblecast
Reflection's Edge
Everyday Fiction
Fantasy Magazine
Darwin's Evolutions
Six Sentences
Flash Me
Flash Fiction Online
Strange Horizons
Paradox
Haruah

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Bent Tree for mentioning Duotrope’s Digest. It’s a database of markets, with detailed information and frequent updates.

http://www.duotrope.com

The site identifies publications' payscales, so we can look up the type of market for recommendations.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I am really a fledgling. I only started in February, so my goals may be far different than yours, but my first goal was to get a pub wherever I could.

My first sub, in fact, was a micro fiction piece I submitted to AlienSkin. To my amazement it was accepted. This encouraged me to do something in which I was pretty skeptical about. (Writing But that first pub also opened the door in a way with that magazine and I have since sold a flash piece.

I guess what I am getting at is my next set of goals, novels and contests aside. I am trying to establish myself in the semi-pro markets. There are a few publications that I respect or consider good sales. I think by doing this, besides gaining more expirience, It serves to give you some credibility when you submit to the Pro-rate markets. Many say that they are graded on merit, but then why would they ask for your publication history on the cover? I think it will help open doors.

To me there is no shame in a semi-pro market, or even a token or non-paying market. As I evolve as a writer, I look back on the last stories as see how much improvement that I make in each, and I think I can make it to the big leagues one day. But I have too many new ideas to backtrack, so rather than revise an old reject, I usually send it to another market and write a better story. If one of the oldies makes it to a pub, even in a token market I will be happy because I know that the one I am curently on is far better and therefore will maybe make it up the tier.

I think that the most important thing is to stay forward moving and not get discouraged. It is far too easy and rational to give up on this thing we do.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

My submission list has dwindled down to just two magazines in these past years---there seems to be a variety of markets available, but ones I'm just not interested in submitting to.

First off, I'll eliminate anything that's strictly an e-publication---I got into this business trying to get into print magazines, and that's what, of late, I've decided to stick to. Similarly, I don't submit to anything that takes only e-submissions.

I like to see what kind of magazine I'm submitting to---if I've never seen a copy I'm reluctant to submit something to it.

What I'm writing is SF (more or less), so that eliminates the fantasy and horror magazines.

I avoid low-paying or no-paying markets, as well.

If something about a market makes me uneasy, I also avoid it. (You guys may have seen my comments about Writers of the Future 'round here, for example. But it's not the only one.)

I've probably forgotten some other reasons I might object to some market or other, but, right now, my list boils down to three: Analog, Asimov's, and F & SF.

Now, Asimov's and Analog are put out by the same publisher---however separate they are, I've come to dislike the idea of sending one manuscript to the same address twice. So I have to eliminate one, and I generally think my stuff is a slightly better match for Asimov's rather than Analog.

Generally I submit first to F & SF, and then Asimov's 'cause F & SF has a faster return time.

Of course my views have evolved over the decades. At one time or other, I've submitted to nearly everything that falls into one category-of-elimination or other. And I may yet do so in the future. It's not set in stone.

Also, you shouldn't do what I do, by any means. You've got to do what seems right, feels right, for you.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

My goodness, KayTi. Thanks for that list.

Even reading the pubications doesn't tell me what I really want to know which is how they are considered by the pros. Even before I had sold anything, I didn't consider 4theluv to be a stepping stone to better publications. It has become painfully clear that token are of questionable value as well. But maybe that's not true of semi-pro or all semi-pro anyway.

We each have our own goals. I would never even consider limiting my submissions the way Robert does, for instance. But then I have no problem with online publications. I wouldn't sneer at getting a story into IGMS, believe me, and I prefer, along with many others, doing an online submission. (WotF has been argued to death so I won't go there. LOL) But if someone wants to limit it to two publications, that's their choice just as it's mine to feel that 4theluv and token pubs won't do me any good.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Here is Cat Rambo's list of publications. She certainly has a buzz to her name. Maybe you will see a market you haven't yet considered here.

http://www.kittywumpus.net/pubs/index.html

JeanneT
Member # 5709

Thanks. Appreciate the link.
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I came across one of Mike Resnick's 'Ask Bwana' articles that relates directly to this discussion we had a while back on what publications were worth submitting to. Just thought I'd share it.

Many people won't agree with his comments but considering that he is one of the top award winning science fiction writers and one of the editors of JBU, I think his opinion is at least worth considering:

bar.baen.com/MessagePage.aspx?messageid=4a036bc5%24364c5d01%24406%40bar.baen.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.