Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How many is too many?

Author Topic: How many is too many?
Noele
Member # 8081

- posted      Profile for Noele   Email Noele         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know how many WIPs you have or recommend having at any given time. Usually, I have one or two with one main concentration point, but recently I've been struck with a bunch of different ideas that are drawing me different ways. I'm curious if anyone has any particular outlook, a number that's good for them, advice on working on more than one story at a time, and anything else useful like that!

Short stories is more what I'm aiming at, but any sort of WIP counts.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
well I have at least 12
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anyone can tell you that. I have bleh--too many going on right now, a novel I am editing another that goes into editing next month as soon as I get the stuff from the editor about what changes she wants, another that I just started working on and four short stories I'm editing, one I'm writing and one I'm going to start as soon as I figure out the plot. I haven't counted how many that is.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's a magic number. But, if you never finish any of them, then it's probably too many. If you're juggling lots of projects and have no trouble wrapping them up, you are my new personal hero! (I have a hard time with more than 2-3 projects).
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I have mixed feelings. I feel some are never meant to be written. If you keep good notes they will never go away. I plan to be writing twenty years from now. Maybe one of the old dinosaurs will be considered a retro best seller by then.

The important thing is to finish the ones that are itching to get finished. You can tell them by the way they get done.

I have really found the importance of organizing these ideas though. I figured it out the hard way when I had to sort through the graveyard. Organize yourself and don't rush it. But keep at it. Write when you can. I have created what I call plot sheets, where I write the background, character info, and a synopsis if I have one. Then everytime something new comes up I pull up th file and jot some notes. Every once in a while one really burns and I will sit hours drafting it aall the way through.

Don't beat yourself up for being creative. It takes almost as many details to make a world for a short story as it does for a novel. Convincing takes time.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I usually have one on the front burner, and 2-3 others on a close back burner, and then another 3-4 way back somewhere (conscious of them, but not working on them unless some flash of inspiration strikes.)

It's what works for me, but my writing is sproadic and unplanned (my main job is parenting, LOL, summer is not a good time to get a lot of writing done.) I do think it helps to have more than one thing going on at a time just so you have something ELSE to look forward to if for whatever reason your current project is driving you batty. There's significant benefit to banishing it to a back burner so you can let it stew while you work on something else for a bit.

But Jamie's input is the best of all - if you're having trouble finishing anything...that's a big warning sign. Promote one or two projects to the top of the heap, get them done, and get them out the door.

One thing I've learned is that I could polish til the sun goes supernova. Best to get it to a good state and get it out the door rather than feel like I need to keep editing.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree--take on as many as you feel compelled to, but not enough to stop you from finishing.

Here's what I have in draft stage at this point:
3 fantasy novels, 1 historical fiction, 3 young adults. And more short stories than I can keep track of.

How many have I finished? Well, the first draft of 2 fantasies and the historical fiction, and some short stories in various first and later drafts.

I have problems finishing the books mostly because I don't know how to revise yet. On the other hand, I'm constantly compelled to start new books. I can't help myself. I have an idea and I can't think about anything but. Obviously, I probably have too many things going on. I'm trying to teach myself to focus, but it's tricky when I feel lost on how to do something. It's partly to learn how to revise that I've taken on short stories. Much neater and shorter!

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
No, you're all wrong...

The answer is threeteen....

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have seven shorts at various stages of revision, and a short that wants to be a novella. One or two of the seven are prototypes for longer works.

I'm finding this is better for my writing than restricting myself rigorously to finishing one before I start the next, because in writing new stuff I find my voice a little more each time. It gets hard to revise stories after a point; they gell and won't change much any more, so in an odd sort of way it seems that one can learn lessons from quick drafts of new works that can be applied to revisions of older pieces before they gell.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertB
Member # 6722

- posted      Profile for RobertB   Email RobertB         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one WIP, and I'm going to stick at that till I finish it. It's almost there. Then I'll probably start on a sequel while I work on getting it into print.
Posts: 185 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could draw a flow chart here to show what I do...but words will have to do.

I'll start with the idea and chew on it awhile, to see whether it seems worth writing or not.

Next step: I'll write out a few notes to see how it looks on paper (er...computer screen these days). Sometimes it dies right here.

Then I move on to the writing of it.

If I finish it---which I don't, sometimes---it goes into my file for an undefined period, so I can return to it with some fresh perspective after the white heat of writing it dies off. Sometimes it never emerges from this file.

Then, when I do exhume it, I'll write out an entire new draft---the only way I can consider every sentence---and see what it looks like this time around.

After that I do some persnickety revising and revising.

When I'm satisfied I can't do anything more to it, I send it out.

The details vary. Sometimes I move right from one draft to the next. Sometimes I go right into the story. I've done three-or-more separate drafts on a couple of stories without ever being satisfied enough to send it out.

Also I'll go back and forth, or chew on a couple of ideas years after I've made the notes and abandoned the drafts---they haunt me and oppress me.

Also on the rare occasion I pass a story around for comments, I usually try to make that look as good as it can before passing it around...that, or send it around after it's been bounced a couple of times.

My methodology has changed over the years, and probably will again, but this is what I do right now.

Back to the original question---how many am I working on right now? Well, I'm typing up a second draft of one story...but another has emerged in notes in the last few days and I expect to move shortly to story-work soon...plus there's an unfinished novel I was planning to start up on again soon, probably from the beginning. I guess that makes three works-in-progress...it wouldn't be fair to count finished / unfinished stories that have vanished into my files, or ideas that keep turning over in my head...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been working on the same story for about 5 years now. Other stories have come and gone during that time, but I think the most I've worked on at one time has been three.

Now, if we're talking about books I'm reading all at the same time, that's a completely different story! *wink*

I so admire all of you that write often and have such talent for it. I'm really just a writer-wanna-be. I have a story inside me that I know needs to come out, but I second guess myself so much that it usually gets pushed to the bottom of the list. I appreciate all the knowledge that each of you share here. You encourage me into thinking that someday I'll be brave enough to put actual pen to paper and WRITE!

~LL

[This message has been edited by Lullaby Lady (edited July 14, 2008).]

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noele
Member # 8081

- posted      Profile for Noele   Email Noele         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that there isn't any magic number. Even reading over responses I can't really divine one beyond "what works for you" which I think is best honestly.

It's funny, when I wrote the starter post, I only had the one really, now I've got myself deeply involved in a sort of prequel to that story to help set up the MC better for myself and anyone reading.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Lullaby Lady, don't make it sometime. Now is the time to write. Think about it. The worst that can happen is that you learn something from writing it.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
AH-HA! Now we know the questions. The answer is 42!

Seriously though, I have five novels that are WIPS. One that I spent most of my time on (and having gotten comments back will spend more time and probably absorb a second book into it), two that are follow alongs for the first and are essentially on hold, one that is waiting for comments from my partner in crime, and one that is being neglected. I have two short stories making the publication rounds and a couple of others that I pick at when something clicks or I have time. But, I generally only have a writing "allowance" of 1 hour a day so it limits what I'm playing with. I also have an "allowance" of one hour reading but I've been cheating on that with books on tape so I can spend time with the hubby and kids.

I think most of us have more than one thing we are working on.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if you have more than one idea, see if they can be combined into a better story.
Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the encouragement, Jeanne. I won't bore you with all the intricacies of my very busy life, but I promise I WILL try to work on my fiction once in a while.

Right now, I'm starting small by writing some electronic curricula for homeschoolers.

So do non-fiction works-in-process count? (But don't worry-- I won't post 13 lines of my homeschool stuff here! LOL!)

~LL

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
As many as works for you.

Every time I see a question like this (highly subjective work methodology stuff) I wonder if time wouldn't be better spent all way round by getting on with writing already instead of worrying about trivia. I'm not criticizing you for posting this--quite the contrary. I just have the feeling that a lot of people who write, or who are into art in general, feel an almost superstitious need to create their art "the right way".

It's not about process. It's about results. What works for you, works for you.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see it as "worrying about trivia". Rather, it's about comparing notes on what does and doesn't work. I, for one, love talking with fellow writers and finding out what, how, and why they do what they do. I'm not searching for "the right way", but I like to know what others have tried, and if I have a problem, I like asking other writers about it to get their perspective. Like any art or craft, I think more is gained from communication and open sharing of ideas.

Ultimately, sure, what works for you is what's going to work for you. But what's the harm in reaching out for advice or perspective? And it _is_ about process. You can't get results without a process, and refining your process is as much an important part of learning to write as developing your style and voice. Since writing a novel takes a long time, it's difficult to try new things. I.e., I spend 5 years working on a book, I think, well, next time I'm going to try outlining a novel. Okay, so I try outlining. In two years I figure out that doesn't work for me. And so on. Sharing notes with other writers becomes invaluable, then, because there's simply not that much time to explore different methods.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.