Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Cool New Tool

Author Topic: Cool New Tool
Jericho
Member # 8073

- posted      Profile for Jericho   Email Jericho         Edit/Delete Post 
As I was writing about a place I've not been in a couple of years I decided to look it up on Google maps. What I discovered was their new street view options is far more complete and useful then I had imagined. I was able to look at multiple locations and change my writing to conform to a bit of reality.
Posts: 47 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool is the right word. I can not keep up with the number of amazing things that are available now.

Of course, other people can look at this, which means just one more reason to make sure we have things straight...

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool!

Another nifty tool in google's repertoire: We use google pedometer to figure out exact distances for runs (DH) and bike rides (me). Using the aerial view, you can click onto anything - so we can click the path along the paved bike path rather than the road, our previous best estimate for distance (other than GPS-aided watches, which are all broken right now...)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
There's also Google earth, which is almost as fun as flying through the air...
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've been using it for a while.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Google sky is great for celestial research. I like Celestia better because of the ability to run scripts and import imaginary objects, like space craft and planets with 3ds rendering. Neither shows binary star systems' distinct objects. Celestia has six classes of extrasolar planets. Want to see what the sun looks like from Sedna or Barnard's star? Want to fly through the Solar System at 3x light? Celestia is the tool.

Celestia link http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

Celestia will run on linus, mac, unix, windows platforms. It's a resource intensive app, will run slowly with 128 M memory. I've got 2 Gigs and haven't had any hiccups.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have to get USGS maps to find out a lot of things...not sure how the two stack up against each other...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greenscreen
Member # 6896

- posted      Profile for Greenscreen   Email Greenscreen         Edit/Delete Post 
128 M? what? will it work on Vista, we trade a lot for our fancy security features.
Posts: 61 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if Norton Security Scan is automatically downloaded with Google Earth? That's what I gathered from the Terms and Conditions for Google Earth, and I'm concerned about Norton fighting with the McAfee software on my computer (which has happened before).
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertB
Member # 6722

- posted      Profile for RobertB   Email RobertB         Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno, but if I'm downloading one program, and get something unwanted with it, I just uninstall the second program. It's never snarled up the one I want yet.
Posts: 185 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine that they're going to give away free copies of a commercial product, nor that they're unaware that having more than one security product running on a computer can cause severe problems. If it automatically installed Norton then millions of users would be seriously annoyed.

I haven't used it, don't plan to, but I imagine it's either some functionality from the Norton product that enables Google Earth to verify that automatic updates it downloads are authentic; or maybe it does Google Earth maps of hacking attacks as they jump from one server to another around the globe in an effort to hide their traces; or perhaps it's a free demo copy of the Norton product.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll guess I'll just download the Google Earth "package" and see what happens. I want to gather more visual information about a real setting for one my novels.

Thanks.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corin224
Member # 2513

- posted      Profile for Corin224   Email Corin224         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be surprised if anything that comes packaged with Google Earth causes unwanted side effects. If so, I'd complain. After all, Google's motto is "Don't Be Evil"

So far, I think they've lived up to it quite nicely. If you're gonna take a shot on any company, they're prolly the one.

-Falken

Posts: 121 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.