Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Do you get excited about keyboards?

Author Topic: Do you get excited about keyboards?
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
*** EDIT *** It sure would be nice if you could edit subjects on this forum.

I used to get excited about keyboards because I loved playing PC games. My love for gaming hasn't subsided but my love for writing has surpassed it.

As a result, my Logitech G15 keyboard that is built for gaming just doesn't have the luster it once had. Now I'm interesting in something that has more tactile feedback and I can type fast on.

I think I'm in love...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823219002

I just received my new Enermax Aurora KB007U keyboard today. If you don't like typing on laptop style keys then this puppy is not for you. Personally I love typing on a laptop. This keyboard has a compromised layout that is much like a standard 104 key layout but is a little tighter. In addition the keys are the slim style that you would find on a laptop.

It is made of metal... that's right... the stuff that they mine from the ground a refine. It's heavy and sturdy and makes a hearty thud when your fingers pound the keys.

If you write mostly on a PC but miss the laptop feel, you might wanna give this thing a try.

Cheers,

Anthony

[This message has been edited by AWSullivan (edited July 29, 2008).]

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I switched to an ergonomic keyboard awhile back---and my production went up once it was easier to type.

Never had a proper laptop, but I did have a laptop word processor. I enjoyed being able to write wherever I wanted to. I am of late sore tempted to buy a laptop, but the expense and the lack of need for one keep that urge down to a minimum. Plus concern about the ergonomics.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I HATE typing on a laptop--hate laptop keyboards with a passion.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand that. Many people find them uncomfortable and cramped. As it turns out I just type much faster on a laptop keyboard than a regular keyboard. With more accuracy as well.

As an aside, I hate ergonomic keyboards.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I know when I traded for a better computer, the sales person asked if I wanted just the tower or the whole shebang. Our money has been tight the last few years, so I just went with the tower and kept my original moniter and keyboard... especially the keyboard. Awhile back, I had to dig out my old electric typewriter because my computer was in the shop. I couldn't believe how I kept hitting the wrong keys because the spacing is different than my PC keyboard. That's when I decided that I'll probably keep my old keyboard until it dies. I'm very much accustomed to it, and it fills my needs, though I wouldn't mind having a slim, flat screen monitor one of these days .

I know I don't check out new technology in computers much, but have any of you seem those new flexible keyboards that you can roll up like a piece of soft plastic? I saw one in an add in a newspaper and couldn't believe it! I don't know if I'd like to buy one though. Like I said; I'm quite fond of the keyboard I have .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
If I had to use a laptop keyboard to write, I wouldn't be a writer.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tommose
Member # 8058

- posted      Profile for tommose   Email tommose         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using a Microsoft "Natural" keyboard for the last several years. I can't type on a flat keyboard anymore. I find the Natural, or any ergonomic keyboard, faster for me. In fact, I bought a few spares.

A friend of mine actually used a split keyboard(s), a half keyboard for each hand. He found it both faster and more "natural," but I couldn't manage to type my name on it.

Tom

Posts: 60 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Those split keyboards are an interesting concept because they let your hands separate more (a more natural position - your hands are more often shoulder-distance apart than they are as pinched up close as they are found on a computer keyboard...) however I apparently violate some of the touch typing rules with the way I type. In particular I use my right (dominant) hand to type "t" some of the time, depends on what word, which I think in the split keyboard is located on the left side - at least the split keyboard I last looked at. Hard to reach it when it's across a ravine! It's not like this typing quirk of mine gets in my way - I still type fast.

Meanwhile, the feedback I've heard from other writers on those flexible silicone keyboards is - NOT FOR WRITERS! They are underresponsive to touch and more a nifty thing for people who need a portable keyboard rather than being useful for writers.

I have a couple different keyboards I use on a regular basis. One is a micro-mini keyboard, only about 9 inches. I use it + a palm pilot as my portable writing system. The two pieces together weigh under a pound, are about the size of a mass-market paperback book, and fit in my purse. I wrote most of my 50k Nanowrimo novel last November on this combination (no internet = no distractions and no reasons not to write.) It is a little tricky adapting to the smaller size, but my hands can do it. The biggest issue is the location of the question mark is different. My brain seems unable to adapt to this and I have to go back to correct mistakes a lot related to the question mark. Apparently my characters ask a lot of questions, who knew?

Meanwhile, I covet an Apple iMac. I want the soft click of the appley keyboard - I love the way they feel.

I can still remember the heavy kuh-click of my IBM PC-AT (yes yes, playing the "back in my day" card now...but in my defense I was maybe 8 years old when I learned to use it...) keyboard. It had a very distinctive sound and feel, and you had to use a lot of force to type on it - every keyboard I've used since then has taken a beating because that's what I learned on.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to hate typing on a lap top. But then I got used to it, and now I can't type on anything else. My favorite keyboard was the Sony Vaio laptop. I guess I have really small hands or something, but that was perfect for me. Most PC keyboards are much too big. I feel like i really have to stretch to get the keys. And those split keyboards--foggetaboudit!

Kayti, I, too, like the soft clicky feeling and sound of the Apple keyboard. It's how I always imagined the future would sound...

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard on my desktop computer and I'm quite happy with it,but my hubby hates it (which is fine with me - that means he uses his OWN computer more and leaves mine alone! LOL!) I love my Toshiba laptop too, and type well on it, but it's a big one - my laptop has a 15" monitor. I've tried using my friend's laptop, a Dell with a smaller keyboard, and I can't type worth a darn on it.

My typewriter, which I still use but rarely, is an ancient IBM Selectric which is the best typewriter ever invented, as far as I'm concerned. That's the machine that let me finally type with speed!! I type much faster on my computer, but to address large envelopes directly (rather than with labels), I still use that trusty old Selectric.

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a typewriter two, three times a week, usually...I write out checks with it.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it easer to find the keys on this key board after several shots of Jose Cuervo?
If so I need one now. LOL

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.