Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » WotF question

Author Topic: WotF question
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago, being young and stupid that I was, I got some short stories 'published' via a small press in various anthologies. I hate admitting this, because it wasn't until five years ago that I came to my senses and realised what I was doing. I didn't get 'paid' for these stories, nor ever saw a penny in royalties. In fact, I 'paid' to have them published in a way, by having to purchase copies of the antholigies they were published in. I doubt they were even read by anyone other than the poeple whose stories were in them.

I don't like to admit this, so I'm being brave, knowing you'll be calling me stupid. Anyhow, question is, one particular story I like a lot, and would like to use aspects of it in a 'sequel' to that story for my next WotF entry. Is this allowed under the rules? Or should I simply forget the idea and move on to something else?

The rules say this:

quote:
All entries must be original works, in English. Plagiarism, which includes the use of third-party poetry, song lyrics, characters or another person's universe, without written permission will result in disqualification

Doesn't say anything about it being the authors own work.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited August 11, 2008).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
My reading of the WOTF rules says you're on solid ground. However, to err on the safe side, I'd post your question at the WOTF forum and pointedly ask Ms. Wentworth through the K.D. Wentworth at the Forum topic. I see no problem with citing a previous work that you wrote, and if it's a new story rather than one previously published even though through a non-promarket then I see no issues for disqualification.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
You're going to write a new story featuring characters and/or a world you've created before? That was and still remains your original work?

I don't see what the issue is. You aren't plagiarizing anyone. You might get into hot water if you try to use the actual prose from the previously published work, but that doesn't sound like you'd want to do that, anyway.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a new story so you should be fine. You own the copyright to the first story, right?

"Original work" means it's your work, not derived from anything by anyone else.

Consider, OSC received the Hugo and the Nebula for ENDER'S GAME, and the next year, he received the Hugo and the Nebula for a story that was a sequel to ENDER'S GAME, SPEAKER FOR THE DEAD.

Why would WotF not be willing to consider a sequel to something you've written?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all for putting my over active mind to rest.

Yes, I own the copyright for the original story.

Can I widen the question a little more, then? The orginal story is two thousands words. I'd like to start the next one using what happened in the second half of the orignal. I am right then in thinkink, so long as I don't use the actual prose word for word, I can mix it up a bit and use the idea in this new story?

Sorry for being such a pain.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
darklight, I think, if you really wanted to, and the original prose was still that good, you could go ahead and use it word-for-word exactly as you wrote it then.

I'd be inclined to think, however, that you've improved enough as a writer since then that you would rewrite that part anyway.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
And, darklight, you're not a pain.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
You could probably submit the original short story if you wanted to.

A careful reading of the contest rules shows that there is no requirement that the entry not have been previously published, just that it "not have been previously published in professional media." (Emphasis added.)

And professional publication is defined as "payment, and at least 5,000 copies, or 5,000 hits."

Since you were not paid for the original publication, the story is still eligible as an entry. Even if you had been paid, it's doubtful the anthology sold 5000 copies, so it would still be eligible.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.