Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Tool for a fool

Author Topic: Tool for a fool
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post 
As a new member, I thought I'd share one of my favorite writing tools to use for research into things I'm totally clueless on. I've only recently found it, about six months ago, and I wish I had known about it all along. The site is a part of yahoo, called yahoo answers. found at www.answers.yahoo.com

This is how it works:

you ask a question about anything! and within minutes no more than a couple of hours, you have a list of answers and some of the answerers give their sources.

This may sound a little too simple to be useful, but its pretty amazing how quickly intelligent answers are posted.

Some of my questions have been:

What kind of gun would a salon gal carry? what would it look like and what would it feel like to shoot?

How would a petite woman best pin a sleeping man who outweighs her by about one hundred pounds?

The answers help with brainstorming and the people answering have ideas that I would never have thought to think of. For the first I had instructors, collectors, retired police, and historians answer for the second, martial art instructors, trainers, black belts, and surprisingly no lewd remarks. Most provided sites that a mere Googling would not have turned up. If any of you like to know obscure things for your writing that you can't possibly know, like what it feels like to be bitten by a shark (so you can post a really smart sounding answer to an online Jaws discussion) or what kind of blood splatter a particular wound would make, I've found this site is an asset!\

Now, to turn this into a topic, what do you all use as a favorite research tool? Where do you turn for the hard ones?

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Knowing what question to ask (or what search string to use) really helps.

I haven't tried your tool yet, but I certainly will if I can't get Google to help me.

By the way, I've heard if you are looking for something on ebay, first spell it correctly, then try looking with an incorrect spelling--people don't always spell correctly when they list items.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Wikipedia can be helpful (if the information is accurate), and interesting, even if the information isn't accurate.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
In most cases, I'd like access to the references that contain these nuggets of information---simply so I can examine them for myself and see what else might be revealed, that might be useful and interesting.

This, however, is an ideal situation, and chances are I wouldn't be able to obtain, say, a lot of reference books. If I need to know something, and Google proves unrevealing, it might be worth a look.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post 
as a little afterthought, I just wanted to add that one of my questions was something along the lines of "Is there a big brother type site for writers?" in hopes of finding something that offered creative exorcises and a way for writers to talk to one another without having to wade through the blatant advertising ploys.

this site was one of the answers.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried it and asked an astrophysics question. Three scientists were among the replies. Brilliant. Thanks for the tip.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
A thought: I'm reluctant to bother people for the information I want or need. If the data happen to be online, I'll look at it. I always figure people are busy living their own lives, and I don't want to interfere with that---and, besides, I might have to indulge in a quid pro quo and be available to help somebody else.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

I think that's the neat part, the annonymity. I don't feel like I'm bothering people. It's also helpful when you get stuck with simple things, --where something is on the tip of your brain-- trying to remember a particular quote, once I asked for things that were "L" shaped. (It's lazy, but you know how you get writing and you don't want to stop for too long but you can't remember the word you are looking for?)

You start out with 100 points, I think, and each question you ask subtracts 5 points, while each question you answer adds 2-3 points. So, in order to keep asking, every now and then you have to answer, too. So you do get to help other people out.

oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
finding something that offered creative exorcises
New and interesting ways to eliminate demons. I like the idea, but I hope you don't need it for real life.

(Sorry. Yes, that was just that bad.)

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm checking it out right now...

Lol - oliverhouse.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.