Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Word 2000 vs Word 2007

Author Topic: Word 2000 vs Word 2007
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited September 19, 2008).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
I had office 2007 that I ran on XP. I ended up downgrading back to office XP because there were so many problems with O2007. It corrupted other applications, like MindManager and would not work with a 2007 SharePoint implementation (a MS collaboration tool).

I also had problems with Powerpoint corrupting files. In more than a few cases file exported from O2007 as readable in a previous (XP) version of Powerpoint lacked key image elements. Always fun in those ad hoc presentations with clients.

I could continue with additional problems with word and excel, but I think you get my drift. You do have a different config: 2007 on Vista and that may have different issues.

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited September 19, 2008).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
2007 uses a pretty different metaphor for the office applications - many people have found that transition difficult. I'm not currently using 07 but will be soon (but on the mac...different set of issues entirely.)

I believe a recent servicepack release covered most major issues with the apps, though, so I don't know that those issues a previous poster described will persist. Using 2007 + Vista is certainly the default config that MS was designing for, so it should in general have fewer issues.

Good luck.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
I use 2007. I love it.

Some people found the transition to the 'Ribbon' interface a little daunting but I believe that once you get the hang of it you will prefer it to the old Office.

That said, its expensive and really doesn't get you a lot more than the previous version gets you.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
Word 2007 also employs the new Microsoft *.docx extension, which is an XML-based file type that is completely incompatible with previous versions of office. You can download a reader for older offices, but that disables the ability to save/update a file in the new format.

Of course, you can still save files in Word '07 in Word 99/03 format.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertB
Member # 6722

- posted      Profile for RobertB   Email RobertB         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it very slow under XP, and it doesn't offer anything extra that I've ever used.
Posts: 185 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I've Word 2007 at home and at work Word 2003. I can meander my way through 2007, but I prefer 2003. Any 'advantages' over 2007, seem to have been manufactured by Microsoft to make people feel they need the latest and greatest of an overpriced product and make them even richer than they need to be.

At least, Word 2007 works. Which is more than I can say for Vista...

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

I don't know if you will have the same issues I did.

I do think that there is not compelling reason to switch and there is a reasonable chance that you will have problems.

In your situation, I would wait until the blogosphere is talking about the great new updates to Office 2007 and how those updates fix all the defects.

8)

YMMV.
Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gardener
Member # 7948

- posted      Profile for Gardener   Email Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Word 2007 and the biggest problem is the incompatibility. I have to re-save everything in an older version. And I never send submissions in the .docx format.

The ribbon really does take some getting used to. Nothing is where it used to be.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
When I got a trial copy of Word 2007 some time ago, I despised it. I didn't know how the heck to use it, and didn't go ahead and purchase a full copy. When I had to get my son a new PC, I had no choice but to purchase a copy of Word 2007. I installed it on my XP laptop and haven't looked back. I love some of the features and if I can't do something, I have the advantage of son that can.

I've had no trouble with Word 2007, or Windows Vista. Perhaps I'm just lucky.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
I use office 03. it is the only office system I understand well enough to be able to fix something I screw up.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else here us a combination of Wordpad and Word Perfect?

Anyone...? Anyone...?

No takers?

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to. I much prefer Word Perfect to Word, but I had to deal with so many Word documents that I finally got Word, and it made a barracuda attack on my Word Perfect.

I reconcile myself to Word because of its tracking feature, but I really miss the "reveal code" feature on Word Perfect.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I too like WordPerfect for the same reason: the reveal code feature is awesome. I also prefer WP page numbering scheme. Word will do the reveal code thing, but not as well. I have both programs installed on my system and have had no problems. I work back and forth between Word and WP.

I have 2000 and I've used 2007. There is a learning period to get adapted. 07 appears to have some advantages. 00 is still easier for me to use and I intend to stick with it.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaucyJim
Member # 7110

- posted      Profile for SaucyJim   Email SaucyJim         Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta say that, though 2007 can be buggy, I find the notes and revision tools included to be phenomenal. It will track any changes you make to a document and also allow you to make little notes on the document wherever you want.
Posts: 59 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

For all you Mac users out there...(all 3 of you LOL)

Maybe I am changing my tune here, but only a bit. Last week I got office 2008 for the Mac and I love it. I had been using Pages (the apple word equivalent), but it's really too lightweight for serious writing. So, I coughed up the cash and bought office 2008.

I just love it. Other than insisting on downloading a seemingly never ending series of updates, it's wonderful. I have moved all my editing/writing from Pages to Office 2008.

The only issue, is that pesky back compatibility. It uses the same format as Windows Office 2007. I get around that by always saving in 2003 mode. Works well and saves my comments and changes too.

Leslie

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I used to. I much prefer Word Perfect to Word, but I had to deal with so many Word documents that I finally got Word, and it made a barracuda attack on my Word Perfect.

Yes! I knew our species wasn't completely extinct. We're an endangered kind, KDW, we Word Perfect people.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I use MSWord 2007. I had 2003 before, and found the sw3itch, at first, difficult to get the hang of. However, after a little experimenting, I love it. I've never used Word Perfect, so, I blissfully don't know what I'm missing.

In the end, I'm writing a manuscript and don't have to use most of the functions, but what I have had to use I liked.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.