Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Dragon Naturally speaking software

Author Topic: Dragon Naturally speaking software
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited September 19, 2008).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
I had version five on one of my computers. I never took the time to learn the editing commands so I did not get as good a use out of it. Also, I type faster than I talk.
Had I thought of it, and remembered where I put my software, I could well have used it while my hand was in the brace and get some real writing done.
Just getting something on paper, even if it is not correct, was pretty good.

I liked the read-back feature it had. It helped a tiny bit on editing.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mitchellworks
Member # 6779

- posted      Profile for mitchellworks   Email mitchellworks         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used this, but not extensively. I found that I'm a kinesthetic creator -- I don't think properly unless my hands are moving at the keys. I think I could retrain myself but haven't had to as yet.

I originally got it because I was commuting for 45 minutes each way, and thought I could open my laptop on the passenger seat and dictate away while I drove. I think that might have worked pretty well -- my hands were occupied on the wheel so perhaps that fulfilled the kinesthetic issue!

But I ended up not commuting that often, and never really got into using it.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it for recording quick snippets on my hand-held digital recorder. Transcribing is so much easier with DNS. (But then I'm a painfully slow typist.)
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
MrsBrown, thanks for that post. I was wondering if this software worked very well at transcribing something already digitally recorded.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hedge on the "very well". I need to correct a fair amount of text (say, 15%). I think part of the problem is, I did the bare minimum to train it to my voice. And I have a character name that it just can't recognize; messes up every time. I should use a different name and find/replace.

But I think it works better for me with the recorder than with headphones. I have a good recorder, and lousy headphones with microphone.

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited September 02, 2008).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited September 19, 2008).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palaytiasdreams
Member # 8154

- posted      Profile for Palaytiasdreams   Email Palaytiasdreams         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting for the connection that will hook my brain straight to the computer to transcribe my thoughts.

Pal...pondering just how long that day will come

[This message has been edited by Palaytiasdreams (edited September 02, 2008).]

Posts: 79 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.