Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Addiction to opiates?

Author Topic: Addiction to opiates?
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Any hatrack folk out there have first or second hand experience with opiate addiction and are willing to talk about it? If so, please ping me. I want to know stuff that's not available on the standard web pages. I will, of course, be completely discreet.

Thanks!

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragonfox
Member # 8152

- posted      Profile for dragonfox           Edit/Delete Post 
fwiw my daughter was given morphine when she had cancer and hallucinated. She thought there was a lion in her room once and another time asked me what the colered lights on the wall were. She was 3-6 years old at the time.
They ended up giving her a synthetic pain med after that.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I like poppy-seed muffins, does that count?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

quote:
I like poppy-seed muffins, does that count?

That depends... how _much_ do you like poppy-seed muffins?

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaaa yes Opium, the deadly addicting fun drug that makes you dream.
Although I in my drug using past I never touched the stuff I here it will drive one insane and broke living on the street.
Back in 01 I had a knee injury that became infected and almost killed me. They put me on self-induced morphine drip, I would push the button many a time to feel all itchy line numbness all over and attempted to play Nintendo 64. I would turn all the lights out and close the blinds and sit in my hospital bed looking at the cool colors on the TV. That is from what I hear an opium trip is like.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh... shiny...!
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched something about them on the History Channel once, but I don't suppose you're wondering Why there is a drug law against Opium? Well, you see, it all started in the China Town district of San Francisco. Many immigrants were coming to the area and finding success because they had a work ethic and started really, really good opium dens...

maybe I should have paid more attention. The best suggestion I have is to google for a good stoner site, like, I dunno gobraindamage.com (I don't know any real site names but I know they are out there, maybe search for leagalize drugs! and infiltrate them) so you can get a grasp on the mindset of a user/patient in the midst of using, I mean, if you're trying to research a character. Then check out the national drug prevention site. They can tell you all about the effects that everyone else sees the user/patient going through.

Also, ask around on Yahoo answers, its a lot more anonomous so you'll get a lot more honesty. AND -- you can always look up a local drug and alochol treatment center and ask if they can help you with your research.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
I've many, many, second-hand experiences with opiate addicts. First-hand, well, that's a whole different ballgame. Suffice to say I've had a few physician-prescribed experiences with morphine, Percodan, oxycodone, Vicodin, and codeine. All of them made me feel unpleasant. The worst was an hours-long watery sensation of drowning with a temple-pressing head rush. Couldn't eat without throwing up while under the influence of the morphine.

In the late '70s, I spent several weeks as a volunteer pushing gurneys in a Veterans Hospital in-patient clinic for drug-addicted Vietnam War veterans, hardcore heroin addicts. The horrific relics of humanity. It was the kind of place where a patient went in and didn't come out of alive. A few arrived still whole in body, none stayed that way. Amputations from gangrene, organ failures . . . I did get out mostly whole, in body anyway, but I wasn't a drug-addict patient. Nicotine and, arguably, chocolate are my vices.

Heroin, morphine, methadone, codeine, black tar opium, the synthetic opiate fentanyl, semi-synthetics OxyContin, oxycodone, Dilaudid, Percodan, Vicodin, the list of abused opioids is as numerous as the ways addicts find to satisfy the fix of the moment and where to shoot, snort, ingest, or pop it. I'm not allowed to speak of recent opiate-addict or drug pusher experiences related to my work, nor do I feel comfortable talking about my past experiences. Reliving nightmares is not my favorite pasttime.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Opiates have the reputation of being sleep-inducing as well as pain-killing. Laudanum was used to help people relax and get to sleep. Paregoric was used to help people with stomach upset to keep food down because it was supposed to relax the gag reflex (I think). Wikipedia says it would "inhibit normal peristalsis." Also: "It was a household remedy in the 18th and 19th centuries, when it was widely used to calm fretful children."

My mother used to give me paregoric when I was little and had stomach flu, and I still remember the taste--sort of licorice-like (which is probably why I love the taste of licorice). However, for me, it was a stimulant. She said it made me so hyperactive that if they'd had chandeliers, I would have been swinging from them.

The above offered as anecdotal evidence that opiates don't always have the same effect on everyone who is exposed to them.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grovekeeper
Member # 5650

- posted      Profile for Grovekeeper           Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of years ago, I (whilst wearing my minister hat) counseled a man who was addicted to OxyContin (opioid), and his wife.

It's rather a sad story of the destruction of a man and a family. I can discuss generalities and non-attributable information, if my perspective would be helpful.

-G

Posts: 60 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Thanks for all the info and suggestions, guys. I think I got what I need!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.