Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The NDAR and Historical Research

Author Topic: The NDAR and Historical Research
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how many of you are writing Historical Fiction, let alone taking place during the American Revolution, but I thought I'd share a massive resource. The NDAR (Naval Documents of the American Revolution) has 11 volumes of letters and ships captains' journals detailing the events surrounding the Continental Navy and Continental Marines. It catalogues the letters and journals by date, and switches from the "American Theater" to the "European Theatre" ( ) where researchers have uncovered documents captured by the French and English documents have been shared. Volume 2, which I have open in front of me, has 1334 pages--before the appendixes--and the inside cover is a world map of known territories in that era. I've got Volumes 3 and 4 on the way (just to complete the 1775-1776 time span in which my current WIP occurs. It's a great resource.

{Edited to correct which volumes I had on the way}

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited September 03, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool. If not for fiction than just for we history-philes.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palaytiasdreams
Member # 8154

- posted      Profile for Palaytiasdreams   Email Palaytiasdreams         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a great+ Uncle that was a Hessian soldier in the Amer. Rev. He was captured during the Battle of Trent, imprisoned. Later, when freed he became a US citizen and fought in the War of 1812.

Thanks for sharing those resources.

pal...pondering if she could become a member of DAR...

Posts: 79 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
InarticulateBabbler, how does one access those records?

(I'm a genealogist in my spare time , and I would love to see if there is information about any of my Crow ancestors in them.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
The Naval Document of the American Revolution is a series of thick books, filled with a compilation of letters and minutes from the Continental Congress and Colonial Safety Committees. Each letter is given a small heading naming it and showing who it's from and to, but has little mention--in what I've read so far--of any Native Americans. It does, however have letters from Washington, Greene, Kox, Adams, Howe, Lee, Sullivan, Gage, Esek Hopkins, Stephen Hopkins, Saltonhall, Whipple and Ward. (I can't tell you how I'm pacing paths in my carpet waiting for the next two editions.)

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited September 05, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.