Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » September 15, 2008 Did You write?

Author Topic: September 15, 2008 Did You write?
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
September 15, 2008 Did You write?
It is that time again to examine your production for the past week. Can you brag about your accomplishments or cry about your failures? This note gives you a weakly goal to aim for, to force yourself to write, to get something done, even a tiny bit, during a week.
I consider anything new that is written, as writing. I consider editing as writing, even if I is someone else's work. Poetry is also writing. Articles, writing assignments, blogging are also writing. Even E-mails can be writing, if they are very wordy and pertaining to writing. World building, as long as something gets on paper, is also writing. There are other categories that can be writing, it mostly depends on how you define it.

I did write. I added about five hundred words to my WAXY'S CLEAN FUN. I see all sorts of flaws in what I am writing, but will correct them on the edit. I now know the theme of the story, the teddy bears showing her that work can be made fun. I don't have that in what I wrote to date and will work that in during the edit. Right now, I am just trying to get the story written to the end.
I took the two finished stories of Waxy Dragon's trip to visit Lazlo Dragon, and combined them after I edited my writing partner's version, and then edited them together. I sent that to my writing partner and she is in the process of editing it. Our friend that lives near her is now going over it. He is an excellent editor. My writing partner took the idea I sent for going from the airport to her house, and is rebuilding it into two stories. One she has gotten kind of crazy with but it sounds like fun.
I had plenty of fun this past week with these stories. I love having loads of results.

Last month, I came up short on story ideas for the month. Between vacation and a hand injury, I could not write enough story ideas. Now I am going great guns. As of today, I just have to write four more extra stories and I will be caught up for last month. Right now, as of tonight, I have twenty three story ideas, and today is only the 15th. Not bad.
For a short period there, I was thinking that I was not coming up with new story ideas. Then it dawned on me that I was writing twice as many story ideas as normal and was using up the story ideas faster than I was coming up with them.

I saw the doctor about my hand. He asked if I could live with it and I told him I want it fixed. He says he will talk to the insurance company. He does not know if he will be the one to do the surgery as he was out of network. He also did not know if the insurance company will actually spring for the surgery. I now just have to wait.

AS to the question of the day,
YES, I DID WRITE

Did you write?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkhodgepodge
Member # 8191

- posted      Profile for jkhodgepodge   Email jkhodgepodge         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote, just over 2k words, although I had to remove about 250 when I edited my chapter so does that count against the weekly total?

I guess I don't write every week, whenever I can find the time. So some weeks it is more, some it is nothing.

Sorry to hear about your hand. I write my first draft in pencil, good ole #2's. Then I edit when I type it in, then read over a hard copy and zing it again. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't write it long hand! Hope you get good news on the surgery.

My goal for next week is to wrap up the major revisions on chapter 21, start the second run through of chapter 22 and complete the first draft of chapter 23. I can only work three chapters at a time, gives me some variety when I don't feel like writing

Posts: 34 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
1800 Words. Almost finished a story. Almost.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! I did write! Only about 400 words on my major WIP, a novel I'm tentatively calling The Lonely Castle. I finished the outline a couple of weeks ago, and, on revisiting it, I'm happy with it, so that meant it was time to start actually writing it. Thus the 400 words. I'm not really happy with them, still trying to decide if it's how I want to start the story, but that can come with time and revision. I've learned about myself recently that I need to stop waiting for things to be perfect before starting, that I need to learn that starting is as important as getting it just right. So I dove in. We'll see where it goes from here on that.

Also, I've started an outline for another, unrelated novel. It was one of those times when an idea just lit up my brain. It was a bit annoying for a couple days, actually, since it kept me from sleeping. Every time I tried to go to sleep, an idea would come, or (more commonly) a character would knock on my brain and introduce his- or herself. As I said, annoying but worth it. The seeds of this idea are really growing, and I can't wait to get to writing this idea. Lots of notes so far, probably in the thousand-word range. We'll see where that goes too.

Gotta say, it feels good to be able to post in these threads with some almost regularity.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I wrote about 4,000 words. My goal was to draft chapter 8 of Odal's Story. Instead, I wrote a few scenes for chapters 9 and 10, then focused on answering questions about the technology and genetics involved in the story.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Almost 6,000 words. I hit a ot streak and I'm inches away from finishing my short-story for Q4... I hope I'm not too late.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Moving right along.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
Overall answer: Yes, I wrote...

Specific answer: ...in very sporadic chunks. The good side of this week is that I did get a lot of ideas down on paper. The down side is that I finished absolutely nothing. I've started two short stories, and one of them ended up in the gutter. I added maybe 2000 words to my latest novel that only brings it up to 26k words in 4-ish weeks.

What hurt that novel is that... yet again... I've gotten a convincing argument for starting another new novel. I played with that yesterday and managed to get about 4k words down on paper for it.

I got my edit reviews back for my short story series, so I'm hoping that will inspire those so I can get a few of them out to potential publishers.

So yeah, I wrote, but it had a bunch of "BUTS" in on it.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

I managed to do some work on two of my SF short stories and my primary SF novel. The goal is to have at least one of those short stories ready for the market by this time, next week.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
A little!
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a bit done on my Calliope Man story.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see. I finished up (finally) the first draft of "China Station." Now I'm dusting off "Cory Falls From Grace" (have to find a better title for that) for my next run at the WOTF. Then I plan to start that fantasy set in ancient Egypt. Or...hmmm, should I finish off the first draft of that space adventure set on "Cyddonia" a Martian orbiting space station?
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
A little bit...worked Sunday on my current work, but the rest of the week was a washout. I think I've got a handle on further events---I woke up with them going through my head, though I don't think I dreamed them---and I've got to write 'em down in the notes at some point.

I've got to expend a little literary effort in another direction. Maybe you saw that "getting chewed out for walking through a door at work" bit I brought up over in the Grist for the Mill forum. I've got to write up a statement for grievance purposes---this is just about impossible a writing assignment to have fun with, because (a) the anger one feels by being put in these situations, and (b) the need to write from a formal point of view. But I'll see what I can do.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Happily I wrote quite a bit. I am now about 30% done with Episode 2 of Gallant, upon the Sea.
Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote 2000 words of my novel, 3000 words of two other short stories, finished editing a flash fiction piece, and critiqued the work of a few peers.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
I sure did.
Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.