Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Question about querying

Author Topic: Question about querying
KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
I started querying agents with my recently completed novel about 3 weeks ago. I got a very positive response from a legit agent with a good sales record, requesting a full manuscript. I sent it over and in under a week got a response saying they were nearly through the book, loved it and wanted a synopsis to use in consulting with the rest of the agency. I sent that, and the agent responded saying they would get back to me soon. That was a couple days ago.

This is exciting, but I'm trying not to be too optimistic. I only sent out 4 queries before all this happened and at this point have not received responses on any of the others. Should I continue to send out new query letters? I still haven't queried some of the agencies I want the most. The agent with interest is not my top choice, but is more like my 5th choice though it is a reputable agent that I think I could work well with.

So basically, if they were to offer representation would I be stupid to not have queried my top choices? Or does it make more sense to accept the offer as the agent seems to be very excited about my work? And, if I do get an offer, is it unheard of to query on a query letter to the other agents, even when no further work has been requested at present?

Anyone have some input or advice? I think I'm being too nervous about it.

Thanks!

Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not aware of any prohibition against simultaneous queries. In a week or two, if the agency who's interested hasn't gotten back to you with positive progress, ask if they mind if you continue sending out queries to other agents or houses. That's one way to keep the ball moving on both sides of the court. Plus, if it's that much interest at one, another higher on the list might have a similar reaction, create buzz, go for a bidding war. Nicholas Sparks agent "discovered" his third written novel, first published novel in the agency's slush pile. The bidding went to a $1 million advance.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited September 25, 2008).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Take this from a guy who has never finished a novel, never sent a query letter and never sold a short. So... don't take it at all.

But from what I understand, you can simultaneously submit query packages to your hearts content but once you've sent a full novel manuscript it is bad form to market the novel further without alerting all parties involved. Again, this is merely from heresay and my own research.

Hope you sell it!

~Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, way to go! This must be a great feeling, either way you slice it.

I agree with extrinsic. Give the agent a little more time, and then let them know that you would like to continue with the querying process.

I know that it is common practise that if you receive an offer for representation to let other agents who might have your manuscript know. So, I can't imagine why you would not be able to continue, unless this agent has asked for an exclusive reading.

Good luck!

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! That's fantastic news!

Here's what I would do (and what I did).

Keep querying. Even though you might hold out for your dream agent, you really don't know what your dream agent is like on a day-to-day basis--who knows, you might not like them once you talk to them or you might have differing opinions on your writing career.

So keep querying and if someone ELSE asks for the full, then politely tell them another agent has already requested the full, but that you certainly would not make a decision without hearing from them first. Okay to have multiple agents reading the full manuscript, but bad form to pull the plug on one before they've read it.

Agents understand that you will be querying LOTS of their peers. And chances are, if a book looks salient to one agent, there will be others who are also interested.

Congrats again!

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark_w_16601
Member # 8229

- posted      Profile for mark_w_16601   Email mark_w_16601         Edit/Delete Post 
K Star,

Congrats on the interest in your novel. I would continue with your query letters until you make a deal. When you send out another manuscript, inform the new agent of the interest from "another" agency, but would welcome the interest. Perhaps this will encourage them to read faster than the first guy and you will have a choice. Every new writers dream.

I would love to read your query letter. I am just starting to construct mine.

Mark

Posts: 16 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone! I have sent a few more queries. Wish me luck!!!

Is it alright to post the query letter in this forum?

K

***Also, added the first 13 lines to the novels fragments and feedback. If anyone is interested.

[This message has been edited by KStar (edited September 29, 2008).]

Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
The 13 line rule doesn't apply to queries and outlines/synopses which people want feedback on before sending to editors.

You are welcome to post your query in its own topic in the Fragments and Feedback for Novels area.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.