Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Celebrate banned books week!

Author Topic: Celebrate banned books week!
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
In the US, the American Library Association has an annual Banned Books Week, with the goal from their site: "Banned Books Week: Celebrating the Freedom to Read is observed during the last week of September each year. Observed since 1982, the annual event reminds Americans not to take this precious democratic freedom for granted."

Banned Books Week Top 10 Most Frequently Challenged Books

It's supported by a variety of other bookseller and library associations, and there's a list of the top 10 frequently challenged books on the link above.

Celebrate the week - read a banned book!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried the Guardian's banned books quiz.

Follow the link from http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2008/09/banned-books-fr.html to
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/quiz/2008/sep/26/banned.books.quiz

Doing slightly worse than the LA Times I got:

quote:

You scored 3 out of a possible 12
Rather ignorant, I’m afraid. You’re clearly reading in slavish obedience to the censors. Are you going to be voting for Sarah Palin?

I've read two of the 10 most frequently challenged books, and disliked them both. "Golden Compass" looked good at the outset, and its religious messages amuse me, but I thought it rambled, on and on and on. I was forced to read "Huckleberry Finn" as a teen, neither understanding nor caring for the trials and tribulations of kids in a far-away land I never imagined I'd visit; I have since enjoyed Twain's tales of his travels to Europe.

The remaining eight books on the list were almost all banned for being sexually explicit, many for offensive language, and the first for almost everything; assuming these descriptions are accurate (and judging by the reasons for banning Pullman and Twain they're probably not) they don't sound like the escapist kind of reading I enjoy; while I'm not a prude, explicit sex and offensive language strikes me usually as tasteless and juvenile.

Are there good reasons to read any of them (aside from Pullman and Twain) beyond that they were banned?

Cheers,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited October 01, 2008).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

quote:
Are there good reasons to read any of them (aside from Pullman and Twain) beyond that they were banned?

Because you can.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Good answer!

... Now, I wonder, which book which annoys most the eejits I despise most ... ?

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
What's an eejit?

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Eejit's best pronounced with an Irish accent ...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=eejit

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited October 01, 2008).]

KayTi
Member # 5137

Well, it's on some of the banned book lists, though not sure it made the UK ones, but Captain Underpants books make me want to claw my eyes out.

They're my 7 year old's favorites. Hey - I support his right to read whatever the heck he wants, but I really get the shakes when Captain Underpants is what comes home from the school library. Luckily my DH shares a sense of humor appropriate for 7 year old boys and the two of them giggle together over Professor Poopy Pants and the like.

So while it might not annoy eeejits (which around here we'd say idjits) - it would annoy *me*, so...there you have it.

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband has told me about an incident that still makes him shake his head. As this is Banned Book Week, I'll share the story. Years ago, he worked as a bookseller for B. Dalton. While the store was celebrating the release of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, a woman approached him with her children at her side. She argued B. Dalton should not sell any of the Harry Potter books because the books promoted evil: the main characters use magic.

My husband's manager, standing behind him, asked the woman if she had read any of the Harry Potter books. She replied she would never read such books.

In her hands, she held a copy of Fellowship of the Rings. She explained to my husband she was buying Fellowship because it was about the destruction of magic and the good characters were not using magic in their fight against evil.

I beleive that woman proved the importance of reading banned books.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
KayTi, I think it was Michael Thompson's It's a Boy! where I saw an explanation for why Captain Underpants delights boys and upsets their parents (particularly mothers).

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Its-a-Boy/Michael-Thompson/e/9780345493958

Just in case anyone wonders, I am not yet pregnant. I also don't work with children. I was researching the typical boy's development for a WIP.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Aspirit, I would be happy to fill you in on all matters of boy-ness using both my growing example and my grown-up (husband, LOL) example next time you need to research such things.

I think it's hilarious that he loves these crazy books. I just can't tolerate reading them aloud, it makes me nuts! Thankfully he can read himself, and he can coerce his daddy into reading them together. And kudos to the author who has found a niche that grade-school boys across the US (maybe broader, even, I have no idea if we export this particular bit of potty humor) are delighting in.

A published author with 10 books in print came to my writer's group tonight and talked about how finding that niche was what has helped him sell the next and the next and the next manuscript. I think that is an interesting lesson and I'm going to get down to work on that concept soon... (I'm particularly eyeing that mid-grade or step-up chapter book market ... maybe give the Captain Underpants guy a run for his money!)

steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
aspirit,
I have had a similar experience. I have a friend who enjoys Lord of the Rings, but thinks Harry Potter books should be banned for religious reasons. The impression I got was that she thought the difference was that encouraging the teaching of magic to her children is where it crosses the line. How that's any different from Gandalf using magic as an adult, I don't think I'll ever understand.

I haven't had the guts to ask her straight out what the difference is, because I'm afraid she'd stop talking to me. I enjoy her company in every other respect, but I keep my opinions to myself when it comes to religion and fantasy books.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

It's a shame I couldn't discuss this with her, too, because I would be very interested in having a rational discussion of her viewpoint regarding this subject.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Gandalf worked miracles---the cast of "Harry Potter" practice black arts.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
9/12 on the quiz for me (wrongs answers on 1, 3 and 7).
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

clear as mud, Robert.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.