Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » nameless characters

Author Topic: nameless characters
deebum25
Member # 8286

- posted      Profile for deebum25           Edit/Delete Post 
Just looking for opinions. In short stories is it okay for the character not to have a name or does it create distance from the reader?
Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SchamMan89
Member # 5562

- posted      Profile for SchamMan89   Email SchamMan89         Edit/Delete Post 
It does create a bit of distance, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If used effectively, the disconnect between the character and the reader can be a substantial tool.
Posts: 105 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kee Stone
Member # 8282

- posted      Profile for Kee Stone   Email Kee Stone         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that for main characters, it is a pain. And it does create distance. But like me, I remember faces better than names, so, I sure you can pull it off if you try (or want to).
Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
In 1st person, I don't think I'd mind it, and I have one nameless 1st person character in one of my stories. I didn't find a way to put his name in the story that didn't feel like the author speaking, because he's telling the story to someone he's close to, he's not going to insert his name just for the reader to hear.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
That being said, one of my first readers suggested I should find a way to name the character, to make it easier to identify with him.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deebum25
Member # 8286

- posted      Profile for deebum25           Edit/Delete Post 
SchamMann I would love it if you or anybody else could talk a little more about disconnect. I'm a little fuzzy on the concept.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Swanwick's STATIONS OF THE TIDE had a nameless protagonist, but (if I remember correctly) he had a "title" because he was referred to throughout the book as "the bureaucrat." I believe he won awards for that novel.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Really depends on the vigor of the writing. In the Cornell Woolrich story that became Hitchcock's "Rear Window," as I recall, not only did the lead character not have a name but there was no explanation for how he came to be confined in an apartment with a broken leg. (But definitely not in the movie version.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this written in first person? The POV character's name is less important in first person stories.
Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
It certainly can be done successfully, but should only be done with good reason. And you need to be very careful with how you handle pronouns, etc, if you have other characters (I have one allegorical story doing the rounds that deliberately doesn't name the characters, but there is a "he" and a "she" and nobody else apart from a brief appearance of a "they" at the end).
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.