Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did you write? 11-17-08?

Author Topic: Did you write? 11-17-08?
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you write? 11-17-08?
It is that time again. Your weekly goal has arrived. It is time to report whether you were able to do any writing, any time this past week.
This is an attempt to give you an easy goal to achieve. The goal is to write, sometime, during the past week, to be able to say you did so. What you wrote, and how much you wrote, is not the goal, It is the fact that you were able to write, is the goal.
Of course, I list some of what I consider writing, though my list is not all encompassing. I list it as some people might not think of those things as writing. I know that for a while, I did not imagine some of those things as writing, but when you look at them, they are.
Of course, WHAT is writing, is an easy target to hit. If you decide you wrote, it counts. As suggestions, here is a list of what might be considered writing.
Any new writing, of course.
Editing, even if it is not yours.
Poetry
Articles, blogs, Writing assignments.
E-mails, if they are wordy and pertain to writing.
World building as long as something gets on paper.
Of course, you can justify anything else as writing if you feel you need to.

For my writing, I rewrote the flame story mentioned last week. I decided it was not a good vehicle for my character, so I rewrote it and sent it off to a friend who is also writing within my world. I actually made it shorter, but added a lot to make it fit his character.
I also added a page to my Waxy's Birth story. I gave it another edit run through, changing some scenes I had before, and adding a few more. I am nearly to the end of the original story, and can build new scenes and situations after that.

On the story idea front, I am posting idea number twenty tonight, and it is only the seventeenth. I had planned to be hardly able to write by now, but my surgery did not go through. They were prepping me for surgery when the surgeon came in and said that our room was taken by an emergency. We have rescheduled and will be the day after Thanksgiving, November 28th.
Anyway, this week, I will have several days where I might not be able to post my story ideas and being ahead will help.

I dinged my truck this weekend and it is now in the shop to be repaired. Luckily, I have car rental in my insurance. Otherwise I would have to borrow a company truck. This is an expense I did not need.

I am working on a big wood project. I am seeing if I can make a Christmas Dinner display. I made six goblets this weekend. I have a six place setting for the knives, forks and spoons, but they need some work to be made finished. I have the start for a turkey I want to make, but I don't know if I will actually accomplish that project. It might be a bit more than I am able to do in a short time. the way I want to do it, I might need a month just for that.
I likely will work on projects I can get done quickly and easily like plates and saucers. I doubt I will have bowls and other items ready. If I can finish it by the 18th of next month, I will be really shocked. Some of this will be done while I am hampered by my healing finger. If I don't finish the project by then, I can always use this stuff as gifts.

As to the question of DID YOU WRITE?

I can say, Yes, I did.

Did you write?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gobi13x
Member # 6837

- posted      Profile for gobi13x   Email gobi13x         Edit/Delete Post 
I did. I would have to say that this Nano idea was one of the best things that I had done to spur my writing in a long time. I looked at my progress report to see how much I have written since I posted for last week. I got in over 25k words in the last week. I do not know how much is going to stay, but it is done at least.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I wrote 10.5K words on my NaNo story, a page of story draft for Odal's Story, and a page of character analysis for Conscience. I was lazy last week.

[This message has been edited by aspirit (edited November 17, 2008).]

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
Win! I wrote. Not a lot, but I wrote. Something like 2K words on my WIP. All fun, and in a very experimental area of the book.
Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I did. I'm up to about 67.5 k now.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Up to 43k on my WIP now.
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

I'm up to 31.6K on my SF novel. Not nearly as far along as I wanted to be, but much of my time this past month has been spent in world-building pursuits...which, in more cases than I can remember, has made the eventual task of writing that much smoother and more productive. With this in mind, this next month should yield an avalanche of words for me...not taking into account my typing skills.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I finally finished another short story, my first since Halloween! Much slower than the pace I've set for myself. Now on to some revisions and racking my brain for an idea for the next story.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote about as much as I did the week before. I had to let a couple of days go by without writing, but on the days I did, I managed to increase my production from five hundred words per day to a thousand. (It's all still revising previously-written copy, so it's relatively easy.)

Next week, what with Thanksgiving coming, will probably be crowded as well---though cooking the turkey is relatively easy compared to most of the cooking I do---just preparing the stuffing, cleaning out the bird, then popping it into the oven for several hours. Nothing like assembling a lasagne, which I did last week...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monk
Member # 8295

- posted      Profile for Monk           Edit/Delete Post 
Amazingly I managed to write. In between working, spending my home free time looking after the twins, doing family stuff (when they are awake), starting to cleanup and pack for a move at end of January, and playing Fable 2 and Fallout 3 on the XBOX. Oh yeah, and work. I managed to write.

I wrote a short story posted in fragments on the Subway and started today on the first 13 for another short story WIP.

-W.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a chapter of my novel - about 2500 words. And I finished one short story, started another, edited another, and critiqued 4 stories for other people.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Amazingly I managed to write. In between working, spending my home free time looking after the twins, doing family stuff (when they are awake), starting to cleanup and pack for a move at end of January, and playing Fable 2 and Fallout 3 on the XBOX. Oh yeah, and work. I managed to write.

LittleBigPlanet has been murdering my creative writing impulses as well lately. Oy.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy did I, nearly 10K words last week. Nano definitely does something for sheer output. Now about those edits. As much fun as Nano is, I am looking forward to a post-nano world where I have time to edit!

I have also been planning a time travel story. Thats been a fun break from slogging through the squidgy middle of my Nano novel (just past 23K words now).

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monk
Member # 8295

- posted      Profile for Monk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
LittleBigPlanet has been murdering my creative writing impulses as well lately. Oy.

Boy, I'm glad I only have one console, that looks pretty neat. The world on their website made out of string, and patches reminds me of a wall map at one of my local Hiking stores that is made from climbing rope and includes elevation. It is quite cool.

-W.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
No. Sigh.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempest
Member # 8242

- posted      Profile for tempest   Email tempest         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, i've written quite a bit, considering alot of my time has been commandeered.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. 10k words of nonsense for nano. I am having a lot of fun.
Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.