Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » He said, said he

Author Topic: He said, said he
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
Lately I've come to notice a lot of established and respected authors using the word "said" in different ways in dialog. Mostly, I've come to notice that when the word is used with a real character name, like Tom, it'll be used as follows:

"I like that," said Tom.

But when used with pronouns, it is reversed, as in:

"I like that," he said.

Things may have changed since I was taught my basic English, but I was taught to use "said" last in both the above examples. So is this a style issue, or is there some rule that has been taught more recently that says that the above is more correct or proper, or is it just that it sounds better to most people? I know either is correct English, but what do most of you do when you use "said"? Maybe you can enlighten me on this.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
To me, "said Tom" sounds a little-bit old fashioned, a step up from "spaketh". It feels like it gives more weight to Tom's importance, like he is an important person who ought to be listened to. I'm not really sure why I get that impression. It could just be me.

I tend to take a lot of advice from "Self-editing for Fiction Writers". In that book they suggest you should always do "____ said", regardless of who it's referencing.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
And for some reason, the order seems much more reversible if it's a name than a pronoun.

Tom said vs. said Tom
they're both readable to me, though they have a slightly different tone to me.

he said vs. said he
if I saw "said he" in a story, I think that would be a real stumbling block.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Early on in my literary career, I got to feeling that "said Tom" backwards writing looked like, so I went over to "Tom said" and have stuck with it ever since. But I've often wondered about it...

...or at least I did until, oh, year before last. I read a set of books by a pair of collaborating writers who, well, are well known but not exactly top of the heap in SF, though I heard their stuff sold fairly well. I happened to notice they used the form "Tom said" rather than "said Tom." Seeing somebody do what I've been doing all along enhartened me no end.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I try to avoid using the word 'said' and tag by context instead.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I should add to this a pernicious Barry B. Longyear influence, where he advocated (and practices) omitting any "he said" or variations thereof. This is much too pure a way to invalidate a perfectly acceptable pair of words for my tastes, though I occasionally keep it in mind while writing...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, keep tags for when you need them only. Otherwise use context and action tags.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
Avoiding them whenever possible is the best policy, but sometimes you just can't, and in those cases, "said" is the one to use the most. For example, when there are three or more people in a scene, tags need to be used so the reader knows who's talking.

Another way to do it without a tag, besides letting the dialog itself do the work, is to use separate sentences that make it clear, but too much of that can be bad, too. The best paced dialog seems to use a combination of everything without overuse. Good dialog is a skill worth learning to do well, in my opinion.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
"Tom said" is almost invisible, something the reader skims over except for clarification on who's talking. "said Tom" draws attention to itself because it's out of the norm. If I were to use the latter, I would need a good reason for it.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I'd say "said Tom" was the normal form...I, personally, stopped writing it that way because I thought it looked backwards to me...but I didn't promote my cause and almost everybody else writes "said Tom" to this day...
LintonRobinson
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for LintonRobinson           Edit/Delete Post 
"Reverse order natural is not," said Yoda.
Posts: 63 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
In general, with proper names I put said next to the dialogue:
"To be or not to be," said Harry.
Harry said, "To be or not to be."

I sometimes will make this switch for a bit of variety:
"To be or not to be," Harry said.

But I never make this one:
Said Harry, "To be or not to be."

With pronouns, I always put the pronoun before said:

"To be or not to be," he said.
He said, "To be or not to be."

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.