Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » POV Violation?

Author Topic: POV Violation?
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for KPKilburn   Email KPKilburn         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a POV violation?

I have a character who speaks very "precisely" (enunciates every syllable, doesn't use contractions, and uses very accurate words). The first mention of him in the story is from his POV.

Is it OK to describe his way of speaking without it being a POV violation? (I know that I wouldn't mention his facial expressions or things that he wouldn't see for himself).

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LintonRobinson
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for LintonRobinson           Edit/Delete Post 
Hard to see what you mean here, but I'd say the same little stunts used in any self-description would work here.

"People call me a brainiac and pedant, but I just beleive in concision. Without it we'd still be living it trees."

"I like to say what I mean. Exactly, excrutiatingly what I portend."

Just don't have him looking in a mirror and telling us what he sees like all those chick stories. :-)

Posts: 63 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a first person POV?

If I understand your question correctly, I would say no. However, be careful of telling instead of showing, and if you need to explain your characters speaking it may come off as redundant.

Do you have an example for us?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LintonRobinson
Member # 8325

By the way. Even if there IS such a thing as POV "violation", nothing you are talking about here has anything to do with it that I can see.

You have a character who speaks. You have a voice telling the story, which may or may not be the same voice as your character. You have other characters who speak.

Those elements are enough to get across anything you want to say, regardless of that person you are using for your story.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
without an example I cannot tell what you are talking about. It seems that you are describing what could be derived as a character violation. The way he speaks, enunciating, etc is more his characteristics than his viewpoint.

If he is referring to himself, you can set an idea in italics with present tense, and let it be read as a thought or soliloquy

"Way to go genius, just because you have an IQ of 170..."

is a way in which he could describing himself without violating POV

whereas

'Dang, dog. You ain't nottin but some stupid bookreadin fool"

This doesn't reflect his true characteristics.

I am not sure if that offers any help. I am loopy from IV pain medicine at the moment.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

quote:
Do you have an example for us?

Reading your post, I may have done exactly what you said I shouldn't do, but I'll post the example anyway...(edited for the board)...

“What the f--- happened back there?”
Greg Hansen, the man whom his subordinates addressed only as “sir” or “Panther Six” sat in the front passenger’s seat of the black armored sports utility vehicle that had served as his command center during the operation. He clenched his jaw as he awaited an answer from the two members of his strike team who were seated in the back.
He spoke again to neither one in particular, enunciating every word with precision, “It is not a rhetorical question, gentlemen. I said, what the f--- happened back there?”
“Yes, sir. I… I heard you,” Steve Keglor stammered.
“Then how about answering me!” Panther Six spun the chamber of his nickel-plated .44 magnum handgun and slammed it into the

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited December 06, 2008).]

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it OK to describe his way of speaking without it being a POV violation? (I know that I wouldn't mention his facial expressions or things that he wouldn't see for himself).

I don't know why you'd bother to, honestly. It's clear you've taken efforts to make his manner clear in his dialogue; why beat the reader over the head with it by pointing it out?

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

quote:
I don't know why you'd bother to, honestly. It's clear you've taken efforts to make his manner clear in his dialogue; why beat the reader over the head with it by pointing it out?

Because I wasn't sure it would be evident. When I read, I usually don't notice the difference in "we will" or "we'll", etc. I didn't know if the general population would either.

Perhaps it even isn't that important. I'm just in the stage now where I'm going over the draft and trying to make sure that each character sounds like him/herself and not like "me".

[This message has been edited by KPKilburn (edited December 06, 2008).]

LintonRobinson
Member # 8325

I don't think there's any problem with saying "enuncisting each word with precision"

You see that done. It's significant, but not evident from naked dialog.

Since you didn't ask, let me suggest that you not worry about the point of view so much as the raw exposition. Working raw setup into sentences like the ones about where this guy's sitting and who he is and everything smacks of the amateurish.

Here's the thing. They're reading your story. They have patience regarding the setup. Frontloading it is kind of like no foreplay or something.
I personally don't much care for immediate full name introductions, and multi-namers make it all the more awkward.

Greg Hansen, the man whom his subordinates addressed only as “sir” or “Panther Six” sat in the front passenger’s seat of the black armored sports utility vehicle that had served as his command center during the operation. He clenched his jaw as he awaited an answer from the two members of his strike team who were seated in the back.

There is so much than can merely be suggested by a word, or hooked in with other references.

Both junior members of the strike team were starting to sweat. And not just because the sun was bearing down on the black SUV. Six had a case of the ass and was taking his time about it. But they didn't have any answers for him.
In the front seat Hansen, "Panther Six" his own bad self, was clenching his jaw. He spoke with the careful enunciation that meant he was a hair from going off. He stared out the thick bulletproof windows and wondered how many ways he could word the question, What The F....?

What I'm saying is that you bring things in without spelling them out. You say Hansen is in the front seat, we know the others guys are in the back. Etc. People are being moved along without being shoved, you could say.

I mention this because (apart from my now-revealed mission to destroy and spread ego-havoc) this sort of thing is EXACTLY the kind of first paragraph that leads to the subsequent paragraphs not getting read.

You can actually impart just as much information and also be telling the story and sketching things in.

Good luck

And as I said, POV is not a factor in this. It's third person omniscient, the easiet thing to do.
Which means you can effortlessly see things through the eyes of the backseat guys as well as Mr. Six.

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me answer this so you won't have an urge to scan over a preachy post.

You asked simply if this were a POV violation. The short answer is 'no'. The opening makes it unclear.

quote:

We don't know who is saying this so this raises flags for a lot of us. I do think you could deal with it with a slight rearrangement.

quote:
Greg Hansen, the man whom his subordinates addressed only as “sir” or “Panther Six” sat in the front passenger’s seat of the black armored sports utility vehicle that had served as his command center during the operation.
He clenched his jaw as he awaited an answer from the two members of his strike team who were seated in the back.

As far as the rest goes, if you like to post it F & F I would be happy to look at it. But as it is I see no other POV issues

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited December 06, 2008).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
KPKilburn, if you were writing in 1st person, it would be jarring to include a description of how he speaks, unless he thinks about speaking that way before he actually does it.

Since you're writing in 3rd person, the description of his speech was not jarring, and for me, at least, achieved what I understand you were trying to achieve.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, in an attempt to clarify what appears to be a little confusion over the term "POV violation," we usually use the term here on the Hatrack River Writers Workshop forum to refer to times when POV characters appear to know things that the writer has not indicated they should know.

In other words, a POV violation is what makes the reader ask, "how did he know that?"

Edited to add as an example: when a 1st person POV character describes the way her eyes flash without having access to a mirror, that could be considered a POV violation.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited December 06, 2008).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LintonRobinson
Member # 8325

<I>unless he thinks about speaking that way before he actually does it.</I>

Or unless another character mentions it. As I said, and don't mind repeating.

No matter what person you use, you have the narration and all characters (plus signs, radio commentary and suchlike props) to input this stuff and a good writer uses them in a way that's not jarring.

"Jarringness" is not a feature of POV, it's a feature of how well one writes.

[This message has been edited by LintonRobinson (edited December 07, 2008).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
That's amazing!!! So, Don King isn't the only one to make up his own words.

Show some respectification for the bestsellerality! (Otherwise he'll repeat himself.)

Sorry. I just couldn't resist. It's the clown coming out again.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

Thanks all. That clarifies some issues for me regarding POV.

I'm currently at the point in my writing where I'm cleaning up "POV issues" (which plagued my first drafts of several stories -- I unknowingly wrote them in 3rd person omniscient and with things that could only be "seen" - kind of like a movie script).

I appreciate the feedback on the other issues as well, but it will take me a while to resolve those. I'm just now learning the importance of POV since I bought Nancy Kress' Characters, Emotion, & Viewpoint (if anyone knows of other good references, please send a list my way).

Next, it's learning to "show vs tell" (Ron Rozelle's Description and Setting) is on the shelf.

Transitioning from "technical" writing to "creative" writing is quite difficult for me.

KPKilburn
Member # 6876

quote:
As far as the rest goes, if you like to post it F & F I would be happy to look at it.

F & F?

Edited to say: Duh! Fragments and Feedback... This part is actually in the middle of the story. The First 13 need considerable work.

Further edited to say: I just remembered that I posted them a while back... haven't don't much else with the First 13.

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum11/HTML/002788.html

[This message has been edited by KPKilburn (edited December 07, 2008).]

KPKilburn
Member # 6876

quote:
No matter what person you use, you have the narration and all characters (plus signs, radio commentary and suchlike props) to input this stuff and a good writer uses them in a way that's not jarring.

"Jarringness" is not a feature of POV, it's a feature of how well one writes.

Wow, my style of writing much have really gotten under your skin, huh? Perhaps I can send you some of my technical documents for critique. You'd love those. :-)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.