Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » more sad publishing news

Author Topic: more sad publishing news
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Predictions and analysis about anthologies from Jeff Vandermeer here.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited January 20, 2009).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Troy   Email Troy         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no. I buy this every year! Since I was a kid... It is my tradition. Crap. It's the only 'Best of' I still read regularly. (I only get Best American Short Stories when the editor is someone I like.)

Crap. Having said that...

quote:
I think the proliferation of other year’s bests and the easy access of readers to short fiction online may have also hurt the series.

This is a fairly senseless comment, as far as I can see. I mean... Are Fantasy Magazine and Strange Horizons (and whichever else) _so good_ that they replace the need for a Best Of The Year anthology?

People don't read Year's Bests because there are no other places for them to find short fiction. Online publications have nothing to do with the low sales of such an anthology; I fail completely to see the relationship.

Just thought I'd nitpick that a little bit.

Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I think online publications may have something to do with declining sales of Best of publications, but if not that then what? What is causing the decline of sales?

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
The decline of the publishing marketplace is caused by attrition and apathy at the back end, and few, if any, new readers coming on at the front end. Roughly 50,000 all tolled subscribers of fantastical fiction digests, same number of buyers of the WOTF anthology, roughly the same number of subscriber members of Fictionwise tells me the fantastical fiction marketplace is only 50,000 strong and declining from a high in the early '90s of 500,000 plus. I don't think 450,000 readers just up and died, they just lost interest.

Anymore, most, if not all, of the current fanatastical digest readers are aspiring writers, emerging writers, and industry insiders of same. Online or in print, publishers and writers are clinging desperately to what readers they have, but I believe no one knows how to attract new readers in from the front end.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited January 20, 2009).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
(What is causing the decline of sales?)

Print readership is down everywhere. Newspapers, magazines, books, etc. Television, movies, video games and the internet continue to encroach on the typical consumer's recreational time.

Plus, I don't think magazines like Analog or Asimov's have figured out how to compete. Do they go more literary? Do they go more traditional, or more commercial? Do they figure out an online business model that works? It's a mess...

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I read about this a couple of days ago and it's a real shame. There's a lot of very good short fiction in the year's best that I wouldn't have read otherwise. Even though there's other anthologies that cover similar ground, I really admired the eye of the various editors in picking stories.

Cheers,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, fair warning. Having just come from my First Book meeting, I'm going to get on my soapbox for a minute.

Stop complaining and do something about it.

I volunteer with my local First Book organization, but there are lots of literacy groups out there. First Book doesn't cost me a dime, other than occassional gas money. I go to one one-hour meeting a month and every two months or so we do an event. Not a huge or unreasonable time commitment.

First Book's mandate is to put books, actual books, in the hands of kids that might not otherwise get a book of their very own. In October, for Make a Difference Day, we went to the local Salvation Army Day Care. Several of us each read a book to groups of pre-schoolers. We chose dog-related books that day because those of us with therapy dogs brought them along. At the end of each story, the kids got to pet the dog. My Aliza was one of the dogs. When we were through, every one of those kids got a bag containing all six books that were read, plus a couple--from Dr. Seuss to Clifford the Big Red Dog.

I didn't get to go to the December event. The group went to a low income school and split up to cover all the classrooms. They read Polar Express. And every child got to keep what would otherwise be a twenty-five dollar Polar Express gift set. (They cost First Book twenty-five cents). That was 750 kids.

If only a tenth of those kids learn to love a book, that's 75 new readers in half a day. Who knows, in fifteen or twenty years, one of them might come to your book signing.

Stepping back off my soapbox, now.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

My soapbox moment.

A few years ago, I tutored reading, writing, math, and computer science in an elementary school. Any further comment would be too political for the forum. So I'll just say, the kids are eager to learn, the tools are there, including the hardware and the wetware. A new generation of potential readers is coming along. Will the fantastical genres capture their attention before they're lost forever?

I've done civic volunteering for groups that would have me. Lately, I've offered and been turned down. I have a few caveats from health complications. The organizations that I recently volunteered for didn't like me making stipulations.

I've done part of my environmental bit, too, planted loblolly pine trees in sustainable forests. 80,000 of 'em over one season. The per capita lifetime consumption of trees in the U.S. is 25,000. My contribution took care of three lifetimes. One of the forests is a few miles down the road. The trees are thirty years old this winter.

And military service. And labor relations. And civic service.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Troy   Email Troy         Edit/Delete Post 
Part of what probably sucked many of us into this realm of genre fiction is community. We were kids, and we discovered wonderful writers, and through exploration we learned that our favorite writers were part of a community of writers. They had stories in the magazines. They went to conventions and we could meet them. They debated with other writers. There were schools of thought. There were collaborations. There were passings of torches.

Do we still have that? Does that still exist?

I think the kids reading genre fiction now are running into brick walls. There are few avenues of exploration. There is no opportunity to know their favorite writers. They read Stephanie Meyers or J.K. Rowling and they think: "Fantasy! Awesome!" And then they pick up a copy of F&SF and think: "What's this crap."

Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see the sf/f genre declining. I see only the short fiction and magazines hurting.
I work with kids and the majority of them love fantasy and science fiction. A lot of the new books I see coming out for them are fantasy, but I've never seen a child read a magazine with short stories in them. I didn't even know they existed until I joined Hatrack. I had a general idea that they might be out there, but I'd never seen one and I started reading fantasy when I was twelve. The kids I've worked with both at school and in teaching piano are excited about fantasy books. They loved Harry Potter and the smart publishers are using that. Librarians have signs saying if you liked Harry Potter, try this, and they do. My piano kids usually bring books to piano and they coming clutching Star Wars, Pendragon and other fantasy titles. I think YA is where sf/f is strongest and the magazines are losing those readers.

Of course, this is only from my person observations. I have no data to back it up.

[This message has been edited by satate (edited January 21, 2009).]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my little rant. Just sometimes I get frustrated, you know?

People talk about the problem, but expect somebody else to fix it. It's kind of the way American culture has been going for the last several years. A product of nanny government, no doubt.

That said, the First Book meeting itself was probably one source of my frustration. We actually have books--thousands of them--and money to give away. And some of those books are awesome. And at least half of the schools that talk poor and want help won't fill out a short form that asks basically how many kids, what age groups or grades, when and how do you plan to give away the books. You know, the sort of stuff that lets us determine that it fits into our guidelines as a charity.

So I get what you're saying, Extrinsic.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

What makes you assume no one's doing anything about it? Commiserating about it (which is how I would characterize what's going on here) is one thing--it doesn't mean any one is or isn't doing something about it. That's a conclusion you leaped to.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Guilty. And I'm sorry.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to have ideas of things that could be done, though.

Thanks for telling us about First Book, Meredith.

Anyone else want to tell us about programs they know about and/or are involved with that could help as well?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

One of the projects I've proposed and was turned down involved preparing teachers to implement technology in the classroom. The computers are there, just teachers aren't afforded the time and resources to use them effectively. In several school systems across several states, that I'm aware of, by and large, the elementary classrooms have computers, but they're sitting in the corners collecting dust.
annepin
Member # 5952

I think each community must have special and unique programs. The best thing to do is to contact your local library or school to find out what you can do. I imagine most schools, like those in my district, have volunteer reading/ writing tutoring programs. We also have a "day of reading" every semester, where volunteers go to classes and libraries to read aloud to children.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.