Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » GoodReads and Twitter

Author Topic: GoodReads and Twitter
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found out that other people here are on GoodReads, and I was interested to discover what they were reading--especially in the way of research or writing books. So, does anyone else want to 'fess up to being on GoodReads? It might be fun to get a Hatrackers "friend" network going.

I'm at http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1709540

Also, I recently signed up for Twitter on a whim, and now I'm trying to figure out why I bothered. Perhaps someone better at twitter can confirm this, but I believe if other writers sign up for twitter, we could follow each other and kind of use it to help support or motivate each other. For example, we can post how much we've written that day or if we've sent a out a query letter or received a rejection or acceptance letter. Is anyone else interested in doing this?

I'm at http://www.twitter.com/deborahkwhite

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I use Shelfari to track books, same concept as GoodReads, I think. I'm kayti99 on shelfari if anyone wants to connect.

I also have a twitter account, I use it for a lot of things. One fun thing to do is follow writers you like/know of. I follow John Scalzi, Tobias Buckell, and Jay Lake, as well as EricTReynolds who edited the anthology a short story of mine appeared in. I also follow friends of mine who are active in new/social media, and I follow bloggers who have cool tech blogs that I'm interested in, my sister and her husband have twitter accounts...anyway, just giving you some other ideas for tweets to look for. I'm only a few weeks ahead of you on the twitter thing and I'm finding that it's taking a little while to get my sea legs. There are also certain things in the tweetosphere that create more traffic than others. Macworld a couple weeks ago was a blizzard. Inauguration day was another. Seems like most people tweet in bursts - tweeting every hour for a day, then not at all for three. Only a few of the people I follow tweet more often than that.

Anyway - I'll be glad to connect with you on twitter, though be warned you may just be amused by my tweets versus actually inspired. My writing is all over the board right now, but I definitely tweet about writing things (when they happen, LOL.)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I just started using goodreads heavily in the past month or so. Joined the 50 books in a year group and am trying to make this a year of reading. I sent you a message.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on Goodreads and really enjoy it. Send me a friend request.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1250349

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on Shelfari, but I prefer GoodReads...

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1546297

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on Goodreads, and I've started a Hatrack River Writers Workshop group there. (I started one on Facebook, for those of you who are there.)

Don't use my hatrack.com email address to add me as a friend on Goodreads, though. Just look me up as Kathleen Dalton-Woodbury or find me here. Or find the Hatrack River Writers Workshop group and add me as a friend from that.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on Good READS.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on Shelfari as LeslieD

and Twitter as lesliedow

and I am pretty active on both sites.
Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
So those of you on both Shelfari and GoodReads, why do you like GoodReads better? I have found Shelfari's performance annoyingly slow and the search paradigm confusing, but some of my friends are there. I alos have a lot of books on there now and moving would be a pain. Howver, if GoodReads is better maybe I can figure out an export/import process...... (This has the makings of a project that will keep me away from writing....)

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, i was going to ask the same question, Leslie (and had the same observation about keeping me away from writing)

The one thing I know about shelfari is that they were recently acquired by Amazon (or somehow are connected now where they didn't used to be.) and that may somehow confer some advantages...

I have my shelfari bookshelf up on my personal blog, too, which is handy. I suspect goodreads can do the same.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Twitter is waaaay to distracting for me. You can find me on GoodReads and Facebook (but if you follow me on the latter you'll have to put up with my liberal banter )
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't familiar with GoodReads or Shelfari, but just came across this thread and I wanted to mention another one (that I belong to).

http://www.librarything.com

It looks like the same idea as the others.
It's free up to 200 books [I think] and if you want more it's $25 for a lifetime membership.

One really nice feature they have is called Early Reviewers and its a neat program where you can sign up for *FREE* ARCs of upcoming books. It's run lottery style, but in the past year I've already gotten 3 books (mailed right to me from the publisher).
All that's asked in return is for a review to be posted.

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 3701

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine         Edit/Delete Post 
I really appreciate the links people are suggesting. I signed on to Twitter a few months ago, and I agree that it isn't as great in practice as it is in theory. It's nice to get news updates when something incredible happens, but I'm just as likely to receive a message that says "I'd really love some chocolate right about now". Now, I appreciate chocolate cravings as much as the next person, but I'm not really sure that's Twitter-worthy.

I signed on to Good Reads yesterday, and I also created an account on Live Journal. I think I may be the last person on earth who doesn't blog, so I figure now is as good a time as any to change that.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.