Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Flash Fiction Online now SFWA pro market

Author Topic: Flash Fiction Online now SFWA pro market
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
There are quite a few FFO denizens here. Today, FFO is a SFWA short story venue:

http://flashfictiononline.com/news/index.html
http://www.sfwa.org/org/qualify.htm#Q3

Edit: I meant to mention that Fantasy Magazine and Grantville Gazette are also new pro markets

[This message has been edited by WouldBe (edited February 12, 2009).]

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, I knew they were shooting for it. Glad to hear they made it. Congrats Guys.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
Good deal!
I'd been planning to submit to them some time soon, so that's even better.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Good news!
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

Nice to get another fantasy market up there. Most of my stuff tends to be contemporary fantasy, so most of my stuff doesn't fit the guidelines of Analog and other SF-only mags.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty excited about this and all our team has accomplished over the past year and two months.

[This message has been edited by BoredCrow (edited February 13, 2009).]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

BoredCrow, are you a staff member of FFO? I didn't realize that.
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link, WouldBe. And thanks to all the folks who are on the Flash Fiction Online staff, too, which includes Hatrackers WouldBe, KayTi, DJVDakota (one of two slush team leaders), InarticulateBabbler (artist-in-residence), BoredCrow, and DebHoag.

As you can see, the place is dominated by Hatrackers. In fact, it's safe to say that without Hatrack the 'zine would never have gotten started: I was inspired by a conversation here, I ran the idea up the flagpole here, and I was instantly swamped with volunteers from here. It also wouldn't be close to the caliber that it is: The discussion, discretion, variety of tastes, and range of opinion has made an incalculable difference to the way our stories are selected and published, and things like the blog would still be waiting for me to have something worth saying. Finally, it wouldn't have lasted this long, because I don't think I would have been able to keep up.

Not to mention that the whole team is a pleasure to work with. Like, seriously, I mean, not in the polite I-gotta-say-this-because-they're-the-team way, but really a pleasure. /schmaltz

So, to those Hatrackers (including KDW, by the way) who offered encouragement, submitted stories, read our stories, or linked to us, thank you very much; to the FFO staff, thank you even more. Flash Fiction Online is a small affair in the publishing world, but I can't tell you how gratifying it is to see it get this far.

Thanks,
Jake Freivald
Editor
aka Oliver House

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you forgot mfreivald. He is still a Hatrack member...even if he hasn't been about in a while.

But seriously, it's been a pleasure to be a part of FFO.

And it is a great team--but I think it's a bit easier to have a great team when we respect each other (if not always agree).

At least there hasn't been a conga-line...yet.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And thanks to all the folks who are on the Flash Fiction Online staff, too, which includes Hatrackers WouldBe, KayTi, DJVDakota (one of two slush team leaders), InarticulateBabbler (artist-in-residence), BoredCrow, and DebHoag.

And thanks for the list of hatrackers to butter up to, Jake. Of course, as good as they are they pale in comparison to the great Oliverhouse, whose wisdom we don't get to experience enough.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited February 13, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL... Unfortunately, we read submissions anonymously, so as friends we'll help you cry in your beer after a rejection or celebrate loudly when you sell to us, but as my old Marine friend used to say, "You'd be better off chapping your lips on someone else's butt..."

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Quick question: SFWA is an American Sci Fi company. Does that mean only Americans can join? Because if I wait for something similar to happen in my country, I'll be old and gray by then.

Maybe I should open a fresh thread for this question...

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent--grats!!
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
SFWA is open to anyone who publishes science fiction and/or fantasy professionally in the US (and Canada, I think--there certainly are lots of Canadian members). There are several members who live overseas.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.