Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » your reading habits: how important is the hook?

Author Topic: your reading habits: how important is the hook?
Starweaver
Member # 8490

- posted      Profile for Starweaver           Edit/Delete Post 
It's standard writing advice that the opening of a story or book must be especially engaging, so that readers will not put it down.

Although I agree that's good advice, I wonder how many people (not editors, but readers) pass judgment on a story when reading the first page or so.

For myself, I finish every short story I start reading. I feel it's a small investment of time, and I want to know what the writer had to say. I usually buy a novel because of good reviews or because I like the author. Again, I plan on reading it through.

I tend not to even form an opinion about whether I like something until a couple scenes in (for a story), or a chapter or two (for a novel).

I may be atypical, because my purchasing decisions are pretty premeditated (I subscribe to magazines, I order books on line, rather than "impulse buy").

So how is it for you? Do you often use the first page to decide whether to continue reading?

Posts: 52 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Hardly ever, but the reason for a hook (and this is especially true for short stories) is because first readers in a publishing house have so many stories they have to read in a limited amount of time. That's why they normally don't read past the first page if the story doesn't grab their interest. And that's why the hook is so vitally important and must be one that first page. There has to be something to make the publisher house's first reader to go past that first page or the story won't make it.
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denem
Member # 8434

- posted      Profile for Denem   Email Denem         Edit/Delete Post 
I never give up after the first page, but if it doesn't grab me by the first half-dozen chapters or so I probably won't rush to finish it.
I can live with a slower beginning as long as the middle and ending are exciting.

Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Of the few book I have given up on, I don't think there are any that I didn't read at least the first hundred pages or so before saying deciding I just didn't care. There haven't been many. Most of the time if I start a book, I finish it. I can only think of two, right now. There are probably a couple of others that I have forgotten.

Of the two I can recall, one didn't give me a clear protagonist. A hundred pages in and I don't know WHO this story is about. That one was by a famous author, too. Maybe that's why it got published.

The second just didn't have REAL characters. The two or three main characters were okay. But all the secondary characters were cardboard stereotypes.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarolCPK
Member # 8089

- posted      Profile for CarolCPK   Email CarolCPK         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, there are several different categories:

1) For a known and beloved author, I don't need the hook, I will buy without reading, whether online or in print. The same goes for a known anthology editor, or a magazine I like.
2) For book or short story by an author unknown to me, and that I'm reading for free online or from a library, I'll often pick it up with just as brief a glimpse.
3) If I'm going to spend money on an author new to me, no matter how popular, or how well recommended the book comes, the hook better be very good, and very interesting.

There are simply way too many interesting books out there to spend time on something that takes too long to catch my interest.

Having said that, I usually finish short stories, since they take so little time, and will give the library books two or three chapters to really hook me before I give up.

Carol

P.S. I do have a tendency to give up more often on books I get from the library, because I browse far & wide from my usual categories of reading. My selection criteria is much less picky than when buying, since I'm not really taking a chance. I've found absolutely wonderful, mind-stretching reads, though!

[This message has been edited by CarolCPK (edited February 24, 2009).]

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's more important to have a "hook" in a short story as opposed to a novel. Readers usually settle themselves in for novels, giving it a good chapter or two before deciding to give up or not.

Having said that about short stories, though, I think we get too hung up on "hook". I may be uttering some kind of blasphemy, but I think all this emphasis on the first 13, or hook, kind of misses the point.

A "hook" can just be good writing. Is the writer in command? Is there confidence? Do we trust the first few sentences to deliver to a satisfying conclusion?

For example, O'Connor's "A Good Man is Hard to Find" and Jackson's "The Lottery" are famous short stories, but I don't think there's anything inherently "hooky" in the opening. Based on some of the criticisms of the first 13 challenges, I can imagine what our criticisms of these first 13 would be, and I don't think they would be good criticisms.

Not to say one can't have some kind of hook. Poe's "Tell-Tale Heart" comes to mind; I mean, if that doesn't hook you, nothing will.

Again, though, I think we've become too focused on a "hook", the first 13, instead of telling the story the way it should be told: the best of our ability and with confidence. I don't know anyone that would put down a story after the first 13 lines or first two paragraphs. Maybe after a page, but not before.

I hear a lot of editors say that the most frustrating part of their job is reading the stories that just make them go, "eh". A hook won't get you past "eh".

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Not important at all, at least in terms of how we tend to look at it on here. By that I mean I've never put down a short story because of the first 13 lines, or a novel after the first three chapters or whatever.

That said, the sooner I get interested, the better I suppose, so its not like I'm against an effective hook right at the beginning.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hook" is a journalists' term of art that's been preempted by creative writers. I don't care for it because it's a journalist's bread and butter, I'll read the news, but when a creative work follows the same incitement, I'm uncomfortable. Hook says nothing about it's purposes and less about how or why it might be accomplished in creative writing. Its metaphoric borrowing from fishing is even less appealing to me. Baiting a reader with spectacle to me is akin to trickery and rhetorical vice.

Aristotle speaks of a story's dramatic action beginning with a first cause. He doesn't go into detail about what a first cause's purposes and wherefore's and how's are. He notes that it properly belongs in a beginning, not in a middle or ending. I understand a first cause to be an inciting or exciting moment in a story, when a reader becomes aware of a protagonist's predicament, as soon also as does the protagonist.

Freytag goes into greater detail about beginnings, but avoids Aristotle's terminology. In The Technique of the Drama Freytag amply covers what makes a dramatic opening. Passionate characters coming into collision, internal and external struggles upsetting the emotional equilbrium of the focal characters, action and reaction, and unity of purpose and problem and desire. In my shorthand flashcard, logical causation, tension, antagonism, and dramatic magnitude in character, context, and predicament are the parts of beginnings that are critical, as well as necessary throughout a story. In one passage Freytag summarizes the principle;

"Without forcing all possible cases into the same uniform mould, therefore, the poet may hold firmly to this: the construction of a regular introduction is as follows: a clearly defining keynote, a finished scene, a short transition into the first moment of the excited action.
 The Exciting Force.--The beginning of the excited action (complication) occurs at a point where, in the soul of the hero, there arises a feeling or volition which becomes the occasion of what follows; or where the counter-play resolves to use its lever to set the hero in motion. Manifestly, this impelling force will come forward more significantly in those plays in which the chief actor governs the first half by his force of will; but in any arrangement, it remains an important motive force for the action."

A story's plot begins movement with the exciting force (keynote). Readers are immersed through the exciting force.

For me, the priority of a beginning is establishing a sympathetic connection between a reader and a story's premises or the protagonist. The feature of which is giving a reader reason to care about the protagonist's predicament (complication of the exciting force), which should (must) elicit an emotional response in a reader, ideally a cluster of pity and fear. Then suspense is built in by posing and artfully delaying the answer to the question of how will the protagonist address the predicament, middle; and what will the accomodation to the outcome of the predicament be, which is the ending.

Any delay in establishing the sympathetic connection is, to me, fatal to a story, incorporating and maintaining suspense notwithstanding. Sympathy and suspense drive the vertical movement of plot, tension.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited February 24, 2009).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've ever given up on a book based on the first page. I usually give up about halfway through, because I stop caring what will happen and I don't like the characters.

I think a hook is still important. The sooner I'm engaged with a book the better I like it and the more I push it to other people. Also most of us on this site love reading but I know lots of people who think of reading like exercise. They think it's a good thing to do and they want to get around to doing it, but they don't. A hook at the beginning helps.

I had an interesting discussion about hooks with my husband. I was writing some first thirteen lines for the contest and read it to him. He said it didn't have a hook, but I felt it was good and was thinking that most books don't really have much of a hook in the first page. So I got out two successful books, Ender's Game and Harry Potter. I read their first page and they both had clear hooks. Then he said, "Told you so."

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
So when you start reading a novel of the OSC's Shadow Saga and the first thing you see is an email, does that act as the hook? If I choose to use such a beginning for a chapter, should I send a story to the agent without them?
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

quote:
So when you start reading a novel of the OSC's Shadow Saga and the first thing you see is an email, does that act as the hook?

If your name is Orson Scott Card it does.

And I'm honestly not trying to be flippant; it's just that the hook is the author. We usually give authors we trust more leeway in the beginning.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm in the minority on this.

With novels you better have an interesting story from page one. A good idea on the back cover can get me to try page two, but if I feel your writing is lame -- you aren't going to sell me the book. Not at the bookstore. The library -- I might give you a few pages, but the idea should be interesting and the execution at least on a journeyman level.

I do read some mind candy. But even there the writing has to be a professional level of competence.

I'm not forgiving of a hack piece. There are several authors whose work dropped in quality and I subsequently stopped buying.

There enough well-written novels out there that I don't feel any obligation to suffer through something that wouldn't rate even an honorable mention from WOTF. I'll read poor work to critique, but not for leisure.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited February 24, 2009).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a time when I too would read every piece I started until the end, through a sense of respect for the writer. Too often I found that respect not returned, by a story that failed to deliver its promise, or one that started okay and, instead of improving, disintegrated. Now, I value my time more highly. I want to be engaged early, and continually, without flagging, or it gets abandoned unfinished and without regret.

For me, "hook" is a very general term. I can be hooked by a concept, an idea, a problem, a character, strong imagery, surreal juxtaposition, attractive writing style, optimistic energy, an author's name, intriguing blurb or an editor's recommendation, to mention but few.

I may give it more than our thirteen lines (which is about being an unknown author trying to get a slush reader to turn the page) but not much, not even for a novel. That's because I have the attention span of a two-year-old, I know what I like and what repels me; also, the internet and the BBC iPlayer have sharpened my impatience--I know what I want and I want it now.

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely think a hook is important, particularly for a short story. I give it more than 13 lines, but if I've read, say, 5 pages and I don't care what happens to the characters, I stop reading. I once finished every short I read, but then I asked myself, why? Some of the ones, even in pro magazines, are downright terrible. What am I gaining by subjecting myself to that? I do subscribe to a magazine, and it does really irk me when I don't get interest in the 60 page novella!

For a novel, I give it more time, but it's still got to grab me. I might stop after 50 pages if the story still doesn't interest me. If the writer is clearly not to my taste I would stop sooner.

But then again, nowadays I mostly get books from recommendations. With a novel, a hook can be invaluable to get new readers. When I was in junior high, I was looking for something new to read and picked up "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan, and by the time I finished the first page I was hooked and I had to keep reading.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I stop reading things all the time. The first 13 lines don't have to be super exciting. I like things that start out slowly. But something's got to be happening--even if it's just a character squelching her toes in the mud by the banks of the river but there can't be a lot of flowery descriptions at first, or you lose me. I want to like the character on that first page, or all the excitement in the world won't hook me.

Sometimes I keep reading a book even if I'm not totally hooked, but I often find that books that don't hook me on that first page aren't much better further in.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never bought a book or a story for the hook on Page One. Other factors intervened.

I did buy a book today after looking at Page One. The hook did intrigue me. But the main reason was the track record of the writer---the book itself was a collection of old (and some very old) short SF stories by a writer I generally like to read (though not a writer in my top ten or twenty.)

(Actually, the story didn't amount to much after the hook.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
"I want to like the character on that first page"

Yeah, I forgot that. I have often discarded a story having suddenly realized that I don't care about any of the characters. That happens at the very latest about one third of the way into the work, so a novel may get more of my limited patience than a short.

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
Swords can be swinging and magic can be flying, but for me, if the quality of writing is not up to snuff, I'll drop a book flat. If I start editing a published book, then it's not worth reading, and I get angry. For example, I tried to read Brooks's Sword of Shannara(it's been around a long time, so I thought I'd give it a try), but I started cutting off the ends of most of his sentences, found it to be a LOTR rip-off, and actually threw it away.

Since joining Hatrack I've started judging books by the opening page, which is probably not so good, since novels have the leeway to get moving a bit slower. Still, I've discovered some pet peeves after all this critiquing, and if I find them in abundance in a book, I'll usually put it down. Another example, I tried to read Dune. I love the concept, the second movie, etc. but nearly every scene has major POV shifts. I realize the book was written in '65, apparently before the single-POV-scene became the standard, but still, I got dizzy and couldn't go on.

Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
is because first readers in a publishing house have so many stories they have to read in a limited amount of time. That's why they normally don't read past the first page if the story doesn't grab their interest.

My experience has indicated to me that this just isn't always the case. Now you do say "publishing house" so maybe your refering specifically to major publishing companies...but my experience submitting to a wide range of both online and print magazines has indicated that many of them do NOT have some sort of rule about only reading the first 13. A friend whose a slush reader for a minor publication told me he almost always reads the entire thing. I've gotten many personal responses from various editors that included feedback that indicated they had to have read all or most of the piece.

So, I agree with rich...I think here on Hatrack a bit to much emphasis is placed on the "hook" whereas in the end the most important thing is the story as a whole.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnMac
Member # 8472

- posted      Profile for JohnMac   Email JohnMac         Edit/Delete Post 
I give up on books if they don't grab me right away unless I know the author or am doing research by reading the book. (ie forcing myself so I can see what else is in the genres I write.) Though I HAVE put down books by big name authors when they didn't grab me right away. I have two in my desk right now and one is by a big name the other got a lot of good reviews and I just /can't/ make it through the first five pages for some reason - but then again I put down Tolkien when I was 12 and got into him later. Maybe I'm just not growed up enough yet for these books?

Personally, I've been reading so much lately, that I just don't like having to wait 10-30% or even 50% of the book before it gets to what the heck is really going on. Give me something worth investing in NOW. I don't NEED 50+ pages of "set up" I know we're writers and want to show off how much work we put into making the characters and the world they're in but ....*sigh* we can do better to entertain from the get go and we can keep them hooks on every page. (Ever read a book you just COULDN'T put down? THAT's what I'm talking about.)

Just my two bits

-John

Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

The following transcript gives a bit of an insight into what the editors at the bigger spec fiction magazines (both online and print) think.

http://www.abyssandapex.com/200704-editorial.html

My interpretation of their discussion of the hook is as follows:

1) A bad three or four paragraphs is going to get your story put down straight away. By "bad", it clearly has to demonstrate that you can't get the simple mechanics right. After that, how much time they give the story depends on how big the magazine is and the slush reader's patience. A good 50% of editors at the bigger magazines will only give it a page. If they've got 1000 stories to read through, 10 that are good enough to publish and 1 slot for publishing a story by an unknown, it's not the story that takes until page 5 to get going which is going to be chosen. In all cases, it's better to have a good beginning than not to have one. They're not going to wait until the end for the story to "make sense" because their readers won't either. They read until the point where they think their readers will. If all goes well, they forget about the hook and go deep into the story.

2)A "hook" can be a lot of different things. As per a quote from the transcript, if you write well enough, you can get away with anything.

Regards,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

I've only put down three published novels I picked up, got back to and finished two, one is still at hand. I won't read a novel manuscript anymore, unless hired to do the copyediting, too many bad experiences.

Short stories that come my way, if published, I'll read regardless. Stories offered for publication consideration, I'll give them a chance. If the first sentence doesn't contain dramatic movement, that's it, I'm out. Having read many, many manuscripts for scrutinizing what works and what doesn't, if the first sentence doesn't contain dramatic movement, the rest is unlikely to be worth reading. I know that's harsh, but after seeing the same defects in multitudes, there's going to be little benefit from reading on and finding only further identical defects. I'm burned out on critiquing in general.

The ones that stall after a good first sentence, I'll give a longer read. If dramatic movement progresses, if the story continues to moves forward, I'll read it for the enjoyment of it. If not, I switch hats and disappointedly assume analysis mode. If the story throws me out sooner or later, doesn't move me, I decipher why, and figure out what might be done about it. If I've read all the way through without noting any egregious disruptions, I'll go back and look for less apparent defects and determine where the story went awry. I do that last with published stories, too.

Otherwise, I'm focused on applying what I've learned from those and other studies. I do see the failings of everything I've written to date, that, now obviously, resulted in their rejections. I'm able now to see why, and more importantly, how to revise or rewrite them.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've dropped a lot of books without finishing them---sometimes it's that these books don't grab my attention, but more often it's other books competing for my attention.

It's not always the book. Last summer (mostly) I was working my way through War and Peace. A very interesting book, I found---it thoroughly lived up to its reputation, and then some---but I only got to the end of Part One. I may get back to it sometime soon. (That's still a better gulp of it than when I tried it as a teenager---I only got partway through Chapter One that time around.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious extrinsic, how do you define "dramatic movement" in the context of a single, first sentence?
Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty much like everyone else when it comes to novels. I'll read the first few chapters or so, or sometimes a hundred pages or about halfway through the book before I will stop reading if it hasn't grabbed me by then. Sorry to say that I read very few short stories. So I can't honestly give an opinion on that part of the equation.

But there is another type of book that will feel like it's leading up to something climatic. I call these types of books sleepers. They seem very uninteresting and not saying much at all at the beginning, but something in the back of your mind tells you to keep reading, and the author will drop a bombshell off in your lap that'll knock your socks of and leave you saying, "Oh... my... God!"

I love these types of novels, and one of the best I've ever read was TREASURE BOX by our very own Orson Scott Card. I was so bored with the first few chapters and almost quit reading when Mr. Card hit me with that bombshell. The rest of the book was one of the best I've ever read and did not disappoint.

The thing is I've read some novels that could've been sleepers but never woke me up. I keep reading expecting something incredible to happen when I reach the end of the book thinking, "Huh?" I hate it when this happens and feel extremely cheated by the author. It makes you wonder how books like these ever get into print.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

quote:
Just curious extrinsic, how do you define "dramatic movement" in the context of a single, first sentence?

A workable definition is a feature that stimulates emotion. How's it done? Situating contrasting ideas, a collision of characters, robust verbs and nouns, in medias res, struggle, passion, at least one of any of many possibilities is needed. There's no singular method, per se. How's it defective? The weakest I see regularly is a static tell of what a character is doing, He sat on a stool watching the bird on the branch. The gerund verb is a tip-off, the nouns and pronoun nondescript. Sitting, standing, waiting, watching, etc., telling static action that's not dramatic, per se. Forms of to be constructions are another tip-off, but not necessarily so. He was sitting on a stool. But the opening of many entertaining stories begin with such constructions. From Charles Dickens A Tale of Two Cities;

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,
it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness,
it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity,
it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness,
it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair,
we had everything before us, we had nothing before us,
we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct
the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present
period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its
being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree
of comparison only."

Beautiful prosaic aliteration in repetition of "it was," however, the concepts sing with contrast and opposition, resonate with my experiences and stimulate my emotions. As an introduction, for me, it promises a story full of emotional strife and potently posed questions that I'm eager to see answered. Conspiratorial first person plural, too, a sublime appeal for sympathetic resonance. In the old style of drama, an introduction establishes the backstory and introduces settings and principal characters at the beginning and eventually gets around to the first cause and exciting moment. Today's fickle readers don't care for that structure, but it still works for me as long as there's dramatic movement from the first sentence.

My favorite of Aesop's Fables, "The Miser and His Gold."

"Once upon a time there was a Miser who used to hide his gold at the foot of a tree in his garden; but every week he used to go and dig it up and gloat over his gains. A robber, who had noticed this, went and dug up the gold and decamped with it. When the Miser next came to gloat over his treasures, he found nothing but the empty hole. He tore his hair, and raised such an outcry that all the neighbours came around him, and he told them how he used to come and visit his gold. 'Did you ever take any of it out?' asked one of them."

In the first sentence is the enticements of wealth, the vice of greed, establishing an emotionally stimulating beginning. A collision of characters in the second sentence.

Excerpts from Project Gutenberg.

Starweaver
Member # 8490

- posted      Profile for Starweaver           Edit/Delete Post 
From Steffenwolf on the splinter thread:

quote:
In my critiquing experience, I've seen quite a lot of stories that start out with an ordinary character, doing his everyday ordinary routine, and the prose itself is good but nothing out of the ordinary. With many stories I suggest starting the story at the time when the protagonist's life changes. Starting with a day like any other makes it very hard to draw the reader in.

Sadly, I expect that characterizes some of my stories...in the sense that the plot launches in the first scene, but not necessarily in the first sentence or first paragraph. As a reader, it would never occur to me to balk at reading four or five paragraphs of a character's daily routine before an intriguing, irreversible event happens. (In fact, I kind of like the sense of orientation it provides.)

Clearly something I need to give some thought to.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually finsish a book, but that's mostly out of pure stubborness.

The only books I can recall not finishing are:

"Atlas Shrugged" mostly because Rand's philosophical ideas were moronic and heavy handed.

"Dark Tower: Book 1" by Stephen King, because I didn't like any of the characters, and didn't care to read 7 books about them.

So, for me, hooks aren't super important... I just like memorable characters and a nice pace.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to consider about hooks and writing is that there appears to be two audiences for your work...

The agent/editor and the reader, who's bought the book.

If you don't get the start right for the agent/editor, you'll never make it to the reader. So as a survival technique, the interest has to be piqued as soon a possible.

It's a pretty safe bet that readers are more tolerant. However if you bruise their interest, they will put it down.

On a personal level, nothing makes me drop a book faster than massive gratuitous sex or excessive profanity. I have had some hard times slugging it through on longer books like Neal Stephanson's Quicksilver. I haven't given up, but it's a tough read in places.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never put a book, that I intended to read, down after the first page. I have put down books that bored me(Ayn Rand's 'The Fountainhead') or offended me (Heinlein's 'To Sail Beyond the Sunset'), but I have a high tolerance for slow beginnings when they are well written. I will usually give it 50-100 pages to get me hooked. I used to force myself to finish books, but as I have aged I have decided that my time is much more valuable than that.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Ignoring the agent/editor's expectations, as to the thread title, the 'hook', as a device, is probably of less importance to me than writing style.

I'll usually pick up a book by an author I like without reading any of it at all - I expect that they can deliver.

For authors I'm unfamiliar with, I'll read the first page or three in the bookstore. I'm less concerned with my attention being grabbed by something amazing (unless it's a thriller), than with the writing style and the pace. If it's going nowhere, it's too wordy, or replete with overt spelling and grammar errors (it does happen!) it goes down and I check out the next book.

Mind you, it's usually the cover, title and to a lesser extent the blurb that get it off the shelf in the first place.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Novels, I tend to read by recomendation, reputation, etc... but I read more than three hundred shorts/year and I am very much depending on the first page or two to determine whether or not I dedicate to the entire story. Not entirely based on the writing style as much as the subject matter. Some genre stuff just doesn't interest me.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Of course the reading wants of some slushpile reader will be different from the consumer who's bought something to read it---maybe contradictory. The joke goes that while they're reading, they're reaching for matches and thinking of the energy crisis. You might grab someone in the editorial staff with a hook---but it's not necessarily a high priority once the story gets past them and hits the consumer marketplace.
bemused
Member # 8465

- posted      Profile for bemused   Email bemused         Edit/Delete Post 
For me the real "hook" is not the first thirteen lines, it is the style of the writing. Of course most of the time I am busy exaughsting the works of authors I know that I like already. But, when I am looking for a new book/author it is the writing style that I look for. If the writing is good, I know that they will keep me engaged even if I dislike some of the characters.

As such, I typically read the first page or so of a novel, and then flip randomly to somewhere in the middle and read an excerpt. Too often have I read a book that started off great and that nosedived in the middle but I slogged through for stubborness alone. Some may call this a dangerous habbit (the random middle reading) because you can accidentaly learn something that was supposed to be a suprise, but it helps learn whether a book is written consistently well or if it just has a polished opening.

For short stories, I am far more lenient and will read the whole thing once I've started. Though a good start always improves my enjoyment of the story.

If I have read a work (short or long) by any author that I like, I come to the rest of their work with far greater trust, and am willing to overlook rough starts or even middles to see it through to the end.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
"On a personal level, nothing makes me drop a book faster than massive gratuitous sex or excessive profanity. I have had some hard times slugging it through on longer books like Neal Stephanson's Quicksilver. I haven't given up, but it's a tough read in places."

I will second that. I don't know who's read "Wicked" but the use of sex in that really annoyed me (among many other things). His use of sex, instead of a tool to accentuate the plot, was like a pink flamingo lawn ornament--it served no purpose, and was more annoying than intriguing.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

I'm the complete opposite. I wish there were more gratuitous sex and profanity in a lot of books. I mean, if it was good enough for Chaucer, right...? Plus it makes bad ones go by faster.
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on my investment. If I have paid for a book I will try and read it--therefore give it longer. If it was free (or I was a slush reader) I would keep an ongoing cost benefit analysis running--if the story began to cost too much I would drop it--and I would only start if it was a least engaging in someway immediately.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.