Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » March 02, 2009, Did You Write?

Author Topic: March 02, 2009, Did You Write?
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
March 02, 2009, Did You Write?
The week is over already? where did it go??? Luckily, I did write. Someone else did not write, as we are getting hit by a cold front right this instant that might set some records for this day of the year. Fess up, who messed up our climate?
This note is a prompt to get everybody to write at least once a week, or go through the embarrassment of explaining why one did not write.
I list each week, suggestions of what may or might not be writing, as a way to give you some ideas. Many don't consider certain activities as writing, when they very well could be.

I finished a scene for an upcoming Waxy Vacation story. I had a good start on it last week and was able to bring it to the end. It needs rewriting, but that is for later. I added a page, and 729 words to finish it at 4 pages. At least I wrote something. I had written a story based on the vacation before. My writing partners rewrote it, split it into two sections, and punched it up. I read it over, then listened to it with Yread, and am satisfied that it is good enough. It could use more work to fix a couple scenes, but I am not sure how to go about doing that because of the way the story goes.

On my story ideas, I had a very good month. The month had 29 days, and I wrote 30 story ideas!! I am now two ideas ahead for the year!!! good start. It came out to 53 pages of pure drivel, at 31,733 total words. One reason I came out ahead, was that one of the boards I frequent has writing exercises based on pictures. Last week's prompt seamed to require two different stories. I wrote them as story ideas so that is how I got two ahead.

I have found that many older books and encyclopedias go into more detail on things than the more modern books do. Several weeks ago, I ended up with two HOW TO DO IT encyclopedias. They were 1979 and 1955. The 55 books went into very good detail. This weekend, I was moving books and stuff around in my shelving to make room for the new sets of books. Right there in front of my face was a how to encyclopedia done by a different magazine. It was 1961 and has information levels between the two other sets. I never even knew they were there. I have had them for quite a few years.
All these books are great if you need to do something, or write about how your character does it.

I had seen a bat carving in Ivory at an antique store, several months back. I was not about to put out the price they were asking for it. I decided to carve one of my own. I finished it this weekend, except for some minor detailing and major sanding. It is so good that the people I have shown it to, knows what it is... This week, I am planning to go to that shop and have another look at their bat, and compare it with mine, to see where I went off. I am satisfied with this one already.

As to the question of the week,
I can say YES, I DID WRITE.

Did you write?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denem
Member # 8434

- posted      Profile for Denem   Email Denem         Edit/Delete Post 
I am still working out P.O.V issues and adding to unfinished chapters of my epic fantasy. I'm pretty sure I did more unedited writing last week, but I still accomplished a significant amount this week.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Some, in spite of my cold. Mostly on a story I'm still just playing around with, so I can write odd scenes and join them up or discard them later. And some work on characther scetches for another story. With the cold, that was easier than trying to plow through the first part of Book Three. Now that I'm almost better, I need to get serious about Book Three, though.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited March 02, 2009).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I took up revising my story at last, and over Saturday, Sunday, and Monday I managed to plow through about a third of it, with every hope that I can carry on.

Of course, my story doesn't seem to be getting any shorter. I'd hoped to cut, but it seems to resist it. Mostly I'm inserting this detail or that, and changing verbs to the most immediate form. (Y'know, "had done" to "was doing," and "was doing" to "did".")

I'm none too sure that a twenty-thousand word story will sell in these days---actually I'm none too sure it'll sell on its merits, but that's beside the points---at any rate, I think I'll finish it, send it off somewhere, and try to move on to the next thing.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I did. I am.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I edited two stories and started re-plotting character arcs.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I can actually say I did.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
we are getting hit by a cold front right this instant that might set some records for this day

Doesn't it make it seem like we should subsidize global warming?

Oh and speaking of records, you should let being stuck indoors lead you to making a new personal record on words written in a single day.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I started a new fantasy project this week. I fiddled with the plotline to get it consistent (perhaps coherent!) Mapping out the premise exposition had to be done so the book would be less effective than a sleeping pill. Then I set fingers to keyboard and got a healthy 12,000 words written in four days. Only 70 or 80 thousand more to go!

Starting is the easy part. It is like skimming off the cream...

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited March 03, 2009).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote this week, almost every day.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I've been hard at working revising my to-be-entry for WotF this quarter. Hopefully by next week I'll have dropped it in the mail!
Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I havent managed to write in the acutal computer this week though, the high fever has left it hard on the mind to focus on the laptop for more than a few minutes in one sitting. I did write a story in my sprial, 10 pages, all the main scenes and settings. Should be about 3,500 words when all said and done in the laptop. Hopefully this week I can begin and finish it. Yes I wrote.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Starting on something new. Yay!
Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnMac
Member # 8472

- posted      Profile for JohnMac   Email JohnMac         Edit/Delete Post 
Do critiques count?
Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Had to wait till March 4, today. I had my current work locked up AGAIN!!! on a failing computer. You'd think I'd eventually learn my lesson about backing up on memory sticks, wouldn't you?
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greenscreen
Member # 6896

- posted      Profile for Greenscreen   Email Greenscreen         Edit/Delete Post 
So I am partly embarrased this week. I did juggle a couple lines for poetry last night but I nee to study sopme poetry to get anywhere. I actually have no reason why I can't. I can't sleep until 3AM so I have no excuses as to why I can't work, I just need to work until 3 then go to sleep then get up at 8 and work some more. (I really only get 5 hours of sleep sometimes less, I just wake up like that) I think sometimes it's am etter of priorities for me and dedication and working. So see you in seven days.
Posts: 61 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad week... only about 500 words or so.
Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.