Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Nomenclature Blues

Author Topic: Nomenclature Blues
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you may have heard me grouse about having to come up with a scientific name in the latest thing I'm working on. For the longest time, I just had the bracketed words [Scientific Name] holding down its place.

Well, I finally reached that point in my revision. It's for a kind-of plant, and I want it to mean, more or less, "bluish-pink squat-barrel," or somesuch approximation. (That's the way the thing looks.) I consulted a couple of Latin translation sites (I tried Greek but had little luck with it), and wound up with coeruleroseas compactucadus, which means, I think, what I said above.

Only I know no Latin. I found the words for "blue," "pink," "squat," (or "compact,") and "barrel," and kinda mushed them together. But what do I know? I'm aware Latin is a marvelously complex language---but I don't know enough to even be sure I'm faking it correctly.

Anybody got any thoughts on that? Or, for that matter, any thoughts on how to put scientific names in one's work?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega
Member # 8502

- posted      Profile for Omega   Email Omega         Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you ask me it looks PLENTY convincing. I don't know Latin either but I don't think many people do. Sure, it's nice to be accurate but you can afford things like that from time to time. Still, I might be able to get the Latin teacher at my school to look at it and see if that makes sense and then if it doesn't have her make it work.

If you want of course

Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
What Latin I have makes that plant name seem sensible. In the alternative its meaning is not as accessible as I might want for a story. Have you tried botanical taxonomy? "The value of a scientific name is that it is an identifier; it is not necessarily of descriptive value, or even accurate." [Wikipedia: International Code of Botanical Nomenclature]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Botanical_nomenclature lists seventy-one pages related to botanical taxonomy.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 3701

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine         Edit/Delete Post 
The person who discovers a new species gets to name it. The fancy names you hear are a sort of pseudo-Latin. If you Google the history of naming and browse credible sites, you will find that people have even named plants and animals after their heroes and their enemies.

Edited to add: My point is, it's your story and you can name it whatever you want. History will support you in this.

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (edited March 06, 2009).]

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 3701

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine         Edit/Delete Post 
To illustrate my point, here is an article about an auction. The winner gets a new bat or turtle species named after them.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2008/12/09/unique-gift-idea-name-your-own-bat-species/

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of sticking a Latinized surname on the end of it all, but then I'd'a had to think of one...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starweaver
Member # 8490

- posted      Profile for Starweaver           Edit/Delete Post 
The words you coined look fine, except when making compounds you would use the stem form of the first word (which ends in o for both your words. Also, you want "roseus" with a "us" ending to agree with cadus. And if you want it to be a proper binomial, like botanists and zoologists use, you want to put the noun (genus) first and capitalize it:

Compactocadus coeruleoroseus

Posts: 52 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Yup. I had been so wrapped up in the Latin angle on it that I forgot (if I ever knew) the proper way to put it in order. Certainly it matches up with the little I do know about it. Thanks, Starweaver.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.