Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Submission tracking

Author Topic: Submission tracking
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm scrounging for info for a brief article on methods used for keeping track of submissions. This is for a continuing series of tech tips for writers at Liberty Hall and Creative Nonfiction Writers.

What do you use? and why?

http://www.libertyhallwriters.org/tag/tech-tip/

Thanks!

Mike

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a forty dollar lab notebook. Most likely because I had it and I wanted it to be gainfully employed after spending the money on it.

In it, I keep Adresses for the major markets, then I pencil in the title, date and market submitted to, as well as response times, typr of response etc...

The gragh lines are helpful in making a penciled spreadsheet and could as easily be done in a gragh notebook for a dollar.

I suppose an excel file could be good because besides being digital you could implant links for quick online submissions.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bycin
Member # 8297

- posted      Profile for Bycin   Email Bycin         Edit/Delete Post 
I created a database in Filemaker Pro to keep track of all of this information. Of course.... I've never actually submitted anything, but the database looks great!
Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Excel with columns for Query, Acknowledgement, Request for Writing Sample and Request for Manuscript... then editor/agent information. The last column is for submission details i.e. Email Query, 5pg, synopsis

I've used it for four submissions. Seems to be working well for tracking.

It hasn't increased my hit rate.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys!

Anyone else?

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
I started with a smattering of post-its all over my desk, which eventually found their way into a spreadsheet.

This site is interesting though.

http://www.querytracker.net/

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

I've created my own web application to keep track of my submissions. With a glance (or a click or rollover), I can see what story went to which publication / agent, how long it has been out for, who had it previously, and all my notes on what my plans are for it.

My list of publications and agents is dynamic, as well.

I am adding enhancements to this app, as they come to me.

Oh...and I also back up the database once a night...just in case.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduizt
Member # 5804

- posted      Profile for baduizt   Email baduizt         Edit/Delete Post 
Duotrope has one built in. Simples.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
I use two things to track submissions:

1. Duotrope's submissions tracker: because it can give me information on average market response time, the difference in average response time for rejections and acceptances, the "responsed to submission sent as late as", and other things.

2. An Excel sheet I keep myself, this helps me keep track of which markets one story has gone to, and keeps stats based on my own submissions that track the min/avg/max response from each market so I know when to start watching the mailbox like a hawk.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, by using the Duotrope tracker, I contribute to their statistics base, making their information more complete for other users, which is a good thing.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Good stuff, guys. Please keep 'em coming.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to type up an index card...when I switched over to computers, I just created a word processor file with each page the size-shape-and-orientation of an index card. I really should switch to something else, now that I'm more familiar with computers and what they do...of course I don't submit that much these days, either...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Sonar3, which is purpose made by the guy that developed Ywriter. He also runs ASIM's website...

http://www.spacejock.com/Sonar3.html

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited March 09, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Excel. A row for each story, a column for each market, and in the cells, status for that story, that market.

Status is:

? - this market might take this story
s - this story submitted to this market
r - this story rejected by this market

To avoid multiple/simultaneous subs, each row and column has only one 's' at a time.

Submission dates are in Outlook with reminders programmed a few weeks forward.

Haven't found a use for 'a' yet ...

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.writersplanner.com/

Lets you keep track of submissions, previous submissions and their results, and where you might want to submit to after you get that next rejection.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I use a spreadsheet that has its source in several LH'ers. I adapted it for my own uses and inserted some of my favorite Excel tricks (e.g., conditional formatting.) I'd be happy to share it if you want it.

I am also using Duotrope, though I found I wanted more than the built-in system included so hence I went with a spreadsheet.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Thanks again!

Yep, Kayti, I'd love to see what you have. Er... the spreadsheet, I mean.

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I use SpaceJock's Sonar2, because I haven't upgraded to Sonar3 or looked at Duotrope's tracking option.

I've based my paper filing on how I file job applications. After printing a copy of each submission, I attach the copy to any correspondence and file each packet in the appropriate folder: Submitted - No Response, Approved, or Rejected. That way, if I want to see what an editor said or how one sub differed from another, I have the information without having to type it into software or keep multiple electronic versions of the same story.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.