Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did You Write? 03-09-09

Author Topic: Did You Write? 03-09-09
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Did You Write? 03-09-09
I have to make this short as I am short on time.
The purpose of this note is to give myself, and the rest of you, an incentive to write, anything, just to say you wrote. The hope is that this becomes a habit, to write something each and every week.

As for me, I did write. I finished a scene in my Waxy Dragon series, adding a page and 600 words. It needs a whole lot of work to make it live, but at least I got the bare bones of the scene created.

On my story ideas, I am keeping up this month. I just wrote an idea that went on five pages, 2685 words!!! that is a good rough draft for a short story. I was excited about the concept and got writing. I somehow lost the core of what seeded the idea, but it was pretty good anyway. That is the longest story idea I think I have ever done.

I have a leaf vase half made. I have to now do detail sanding and lots of finishing. It was a vase I created just for carving leaves into it, and it is already better than I expected. I know every mistake in the piece, but since the overall effect is good, few would notice those errors.

As to the question of the week,
Yes, I did write

DID YOU WRITE?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a flash last night and started on a longer story today.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote some new scenes in Book One. Some notes for things to change in Book Two. A start on a synopsis or prologue for Book Two, if I decide to go that way.

Nothing, of course, on the project I'm supposed to be working on--Book Three.

But I did write.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I did...and am planning to continue doing so.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, a little. I have a new puppy (a Border Collie) who is consuming a lot of time right now.

I'm still struggling with Yanno's insights to how stories end in a way that makes sense. I grasp the idea -- sort of -- but putting it into action in the basement story is not easy. Next story it will come easier and the one after that and after that....

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I managed to work on revision on every day but Friday and Monday, which proved to be kinda busy. I'm very hopeful, that if I can keep this up, that I can print out a copy and send it out before the end of March. Then maybe I can start writing up something original again...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
arriki,

Ooh, a BC. Do you by any chance do dog agility?

Have fun with the puppy.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starweaver
Member # 8490

- posted      Profile for Starweaver           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. I'm on the home stretch with the draft of my novelette "Too Far to Follow". Looking forward to doing the revision this weekend.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Meredith -- no, or at least not yet. We're still working on come and sit, four (feet) on the floor and chewing -- not to chew me. Did go for our first bike ride. Some of this is going to filter into my stories. It's not a waste on any level.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I finished revisions of this quarter's WotF entry, which I'm very proud of, and dropped it in the mail.
Now I'm working on some revisions of stories posted to Baen's Bar, and then, I'm going to take a crack at novels again. I have mixed feelings about novel-writing after getting a grounding in short stories.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still in editing mode. The extent of new story material written last week is part of a scene.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I continued on the start of my new project... 25,000 words in ten days all in the evenings, making for some late nights. I just sent it out to some readers. That will give me a needed pause in the action. Found I had to write out a quick version of the ending to give me more focus for the central part of the plot.

I had a poem rejected with some constructive comments. Rewrote that... much better.

Outlined a rewrite for another novel currently being rejected at an agent near you. Realized the beginning was significantly insipid. No help from my readers there.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
yep. I wrote. I think this week though will be polishing what I wrote so its marketable.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Um. I just wrote about twenty words before being sucked back to hatrack. Does that count?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.