Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Return of RoF

Author Topic: Return of RoF
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently Realms of Fantasy will live on after all:
http://www.locusmag.com/News/2009/03/warren-lapine-buys-realms-of-fantasy.html

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starweaver
Member # 8490

- posted      Profile for Starweaver           Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful!
Posts: 52 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not get too excited. Warren Lapine has some detractors. I have never had any personal dealings with the man, and for all I know he's an honorable person, but there's a lot of disgruntled people out there that don't think highly of Lapine.

This is the internet, so everything should be taken with a grain of salt, but I'm not too keen on the way Lapine handled himself on the following thread:

http://james-nicoll.livejournal.com/1648358.html

It should also be noted that one of the people who never received a check for a published story emailed Lapine and received a check for the story.

http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.publishing.dnapublications&artnum=4447

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Great! When I have play money, I'm subscribing.

Rich, I don't see what's wrong with Lapine's email. He's asking for help in rumor control, and I read "Resurrection Of A Lie" as an attempt to lighten the email. The posting of his email seems strange (and uncivil) to me, though.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Symphonyofnames
Member # 8283

- posted      Profile for Symphonyofnames   Email Symphonyofnames         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent some stuff to them, which they did not like. Hm. Maybe I should try again now.
Posts: 69 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduizt
Member # 5804

- posted      Profile for baduizt   Email baduizt         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think his email was particularly bad, TBH. I *do* think sharing his email in an online forum is a bit bitchy, though. More power to the man!

I can't seem to find a website for Tir Na Nog Press though :S Any links anyone?

Also, Symphonyofflames, it still has the same editors, so there'd be little point sending the same stuff. Although, you can give them a chance with something different.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking more along the lines of his comments in the comment section.

And I thought the reasoning behind sharing the email was...ok. Actually, I'm just assuming the reasoning. Could've been 'cause the guy that did it was a dick. But I have issues when one sends an email to the owner of a blog asking for the links from people who may be saying bad things about him.

I have a problem with that because

1) It's not too bright. He sends an email to a blog owner who specifically asked for anecdotes about this guy wronging people. Anything he sent the blog owner was going to go up. Like if Rommel sent a note to Patton asking if anyone said anything bad about Hitler. (ok, not a very good analogy 'cause Rommel wasn't exactly Hitler's #1 fan, but you get the idea)

2) "At the time, there was nothing I could do about it." Sure there was. You address the untrue statements AT THE TIME. This is the Internet. People argue and say stupid s*** all the time. You make your case and then let it go.

3) It's a little underhanded. I mean, just confront those that are badmouthing you, and/or let it go. Veiled threats of lawyers and legal terms that don't mean anything are not the way to do business.

Again, though, it's more what Lapine says in the comments section that kinda raises my eyebrows. And, again, I've had no dealings with the guy so this is all anecdotal, and it does look like the guy's trying to make amends by paying those that didn't get paid.

I'm just saying be cautious in your dealings with this mag.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted something a couple of weeks / months back when Lapine first resurfaced. Too many busted subscriptions and dead magazines for my taste...and, besides, in the mailings he sent out, my name and address were never correct...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
The swine! Hanging's too good for him!
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.