Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Children's Story Contest

Author Topic: Children's Story Contest
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about this through my First Book contacts. I thought some of you might be interested. I would, if I could write anything intelligible in 500 words.

The contest is sponsored by Cheerios. It's called Spoonful of Stories. http://www.spoonfulsofstoriescontest.com/registration_form/

It's for children's stories. You must be an unpublished author and the story must be no longer than 500 words. It doesn't cost anything to enter.

Last year's winner got $5000 and is having her book published by Simon and Schuster.

The contest closes July 15, which should give you plenty of time for 500 words.

Good luck to anybody who's entering.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, thanks.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

WARNING on the contest rules:
"By submitting your story, you accept all contest rules and agree to be bound by the decisions of the judges, which will be final. You also agree that if you are a Grand Prize or First Runner-Up Winner, your story becomes the sole property of General Mills, and General Mills reserves the right to edit, adapt, copyright, publish, transfer and use all or a part of your entry without further compensation."

It sounds like they wouldn't even have to put your name on it if they didn't want to, because you're selling every ounce of the copyright.

The following seemed a little weird too, though probably not as bad as the first blurb:

"Except where prohibited by law, each winner will be required to sign a release giving General Mills, the book publisher and their respective advertising and promotion agencies full rights to use the winner’s name, likeness, image and voice for Contest related advertising and publicity, including such usage on the Internet."

It sounds like they could use your likeness/voice/name in any way they want without consulting you: I would at least like to be in the loop for something like that.

Also, you do have to be a US resident.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

You are not eligible if:

You have authored a work of fiction that has been published or is about to be published in exchange for payment.

Blah, blah...

Counts out most of us then.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Not me, but I don't like the idea of signing away all my rights to my work... not saying I'd win. Far from it, I'm sure.
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know--$5000 for 500 words--that's $10 per word, at least.

Not bad pay for one story, even if they do keep all the rights. I don't think I've ever seen work-for-hire come close to that kind of money.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited March 27, 2009).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. $5K for 500 words is astounding.

I'd happily part with 500 words forever, if it netted me $5K

I can always write more words. I can't always score $5K for such a tiny amount.

=^)

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
And how big is the audience? Millions at least, Cheerios was the number one breakfast cereal in 2008 accounting for 12.6% of market share.

I've purchased Cheerios and found story booklets inside the boxes. The authors' names were on the bylines.

Anyone looking for story inspiration, here's a link to Topher's Breakfast Cereal Character Guide. An archive of advertising motifs for all the brand-name cereals is accessible below the statistics.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/cereal-stats.html

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.