Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » If I had a dime for every nickel I'd spent

Author Topic: If I had a dime for every nickel I'd spent
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have spent nothing, right? And if I travel back in time but this time I turn to the right instead of to the left, I would never have turned to the left, correct? Is every possibility playing out? Does it have to, just to bring reference structure to that which, by nature can have no structure, like free moral agency for example. It seems easy to hate things for no reason or just because someone told you to hate it, remarkably easy in fact of human history. But love is so much more complicated. You don't have love crimes do you? ( the term defies itself but you know what I mean) Random gangs who would do anything for you just because of your ethnic background - not out of self-serving fanaticism but out of selfless love. That was the one thing Aladdin's (Solomon's) Genie couldn't give wasn't it? Love, because once you force it, it is instantly no longer love because love is a voluntary emotion derived from appreciation and respect. But using the word love to explain love is like using the word food to explain food. I don't know what in the world I'm talking about but all of this is tied together somehow. Perhaps I'm making the simple complicated - or Visa Versa. Hmmm.
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
...and the moral of the story is don't mix tequila with Tylenol PMs?
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
This is more random than the Random Threads thread.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Haha, nope, no drugs or booze here. There is a thread through all this, I know it. It's getting clearer to me today. Something about how none of us give serious consideration to the idea that infinite dimension fractions host every possibility (and I still don't) but some worthless realities DO have to play out in order to stabilize the real one - like the one we're in right now. You see, if I had a dime for every nickel I'd spent it wouldn't change the fact that I had spent the money in the first place, only mask one aspect of that reality (and most important, I would remember that I had spent the money). Traveling in time won't change the fact that you did in one reality thread, turn to the left. And here's my real point. Lazarus was dead, he did die and every cell in his body was in decay beyond repair by any conventional medical means and at every other time in his life Peter would have sank (and it's important that he did so the fact that once he didn't sink can be used to stabilize what by itself would be an unstable reality). So the altering of a reality does what? This is a writing concept in the right vehicle. I would think some here would connect with this pretty quickly. Sorry, sometimes I have to squeeze thoughts out like juice from a Lemon.

So ultimately a single tree proved insufficient to stabilize an entire reality that had enough freedom of movement to go right or wrong. Especially when hating (which tends to accelerate on itself) is so easy and loving takes so much more effort.

I wonder if love would accelerate on itself if it met no resistance?

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited April 04, 2009).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would. Every action creates a negative ripple or a postive one. Someone is kind to you, then you're in a better mood and more likely to be kind to someone else. You had a good day at work so you come home and hug the kids and ignore the mess where if you had a bad day at work you might come home and scold the kids for the mess. I'm not sure if this is entirely what you mean or are wondering at, but it's a part.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you had a dime for every nickel you spent, it could mean simply you've spent only one-third of your money!

I think many churches, for example, would serve as a counter-example to violent gangs in terms of being willing to help "randomly". There's a lot out there that escapes peoples' notice. Just like in fiction, news stories like to be about conflict. The "and they lived happily ever after" part is boring.

It would take a new set of laws to create "love crimes", but you could do it I suppose. Sounds like the title of a soap opera. Laws are like a box we're supposed to stay in, move the lines and anything can be a crime.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Whats hardest to comprehend (although I absolutely accept it as true) is that the original reality when it returns will stand invincible on the failure of this one. That this was the only way forward just goes to show that when you create a reality, even you as the creator become bound by the laws intrinsic to your own creation. That you can grieve in your heart at the pain of the now unavoidable path to success. Either you find a way to work within the boundaries to rescue it or abandon it all together. Light really is meaningless without dark, even if it only a memory of dark. Love and good are weak without at least a flash of hate and evil to make love and good supremely powerful. I'm losing all of you aren't I? Understanding this point depends a great deal on what you see when you open your eyes.

rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a story idea that I don't have a full handle on where a guy keeps going back to try and change history, and it does not work. It turns out that time is controlled by a "puppet master" who has a twisted mind. My problem is figuring how how the hero figures it out.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
If you had a dime for every nickel you spent, wouldn't you try to spend them, too? (Ah, the miracle of compound interest...)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had a dime for every nickel I spent, I would have $500 dollars. Sadly most of my spending has been in pounds...so I would lose out big time on that deal.

Damn my bad luck.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.