Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Story Format Question

Author Topic: Story Format Question
Dogmatic
Member # 8425

- posted      Profile for Dogmatic   Email Dogmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I'm sure this is addressed somewhere on this site but I couldn't find it. Are there any standard formatting rules for short story submissions as far as page margins, line spacing, etc...?

Thanks in advanced!

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I don't have the link to it anymore but I think theres actually an article on the SFWA site that nicely details Standard Manuscript Format. You should be able to google those three words and come up with something pretty easily.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
The SFWA format page. It also depends on what program you're using. And this is the other manuscript page at the SFWA website. And, while I'm at it, here is the word count directions.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited April 16, 2009).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
However, concerning your story The Landing, I'm not sure all the rules apply, or should apply, that is. If every section had been typed in the standard Courier font, I would've had trouble distinguishing the computer readouts from the rest. The use of the two fonts was fitting and engaging. While I was critiquing, I did wonder how you would handle the Standard Manuscript Format issue. I'm sure this way of presenting story information has been done before, but how to handle it during the submissions process? Follow the rules? Break them, b/c the story demands it? Hmmm...

Who else has gotten away with two fonts successfully? And was that an editor's/typesetter's decision rather than the author's?

Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogmatic
Member # 8425

- posted      Profile for Dogmatic   Email Dogmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
My other thought on my story was to put the main part of the story in Courier and the computer generated text in something like Times New Roman. It doesn't look as good as the opposite way but it may be closer to correct formatting specs.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
In an alternative, text that is excerpted, quoted, or representative of a printout, for example, could be block indented in the same typeface as the body of a manuscript.

In me experience as a typesetter, editor, student term paper writer, if, say a letter, a newspaper report, an excerpt from an external source, or a false document is incorporated into a manuscript, my style manuals all say that block indentation is the recommended way to set it off.

One line with only a typesetter's line space character, #, either flush left or paragraph indented precedes and follows a block indentation in a standard manuscript format, but not in a term paper.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.