Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Equal "Screen Time"?

Author Topic: Equal "Screen Time"?
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on a novel written with two different POV characters, and I'm having trouble giving them both (roughly) equal word count. I fixed part of the problem by adding in new subplots for one character, but she still doesn't have equal screen time with the other character (who, in my mind, is the protagonist and catalyst for the novel, so at least that's good).

SO, I guess my question is how to write with multiple POV characters? Do you work hard to give them equal screen time, or let the novel unfold as it will? Does it drive you crazy when there's a clear discrepancy between how much you're getting from one character versus the other? Any thoughts on this (or related multiple POV stuff) would be appreciated...

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly wouldn't force the novel into an artificial mold by counting how many words or pages each character gets. Let the story dictate that.

Unless there's some specific reason that you really want both to have equal weight, I'd expect the protagonist's story to take more of the book. I'd treat the other as a subplot, myself.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I wouldn't force it either. All though, truth be told, I do it all the time. I use Ywriter for my novels and it can break down the percentage of scenes and word count per character and such. Very addictive. But watch forcing a scene. My suggestion, if you have an idea for other scenes, try them, sometimes you suprise yourself and they work, but other times, well, they feel forced.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
From analyzing stories with multiple point of view characters, I've noted several features they have in common. Auxilliary point of view characters directly influence a focal character's struggles and progresses. An auxilliary character's backstory provides context for those affects upon a focal character. Broader stories with larger casts depict a wider view of a milieu from auxilliary characters' perspectives (as in Lord of the Rings), sweeping panoramic views versus narrow pictorial views. When a milieu is pictorially depicted through one focal character's perspective (as in Harry Potter), villains' perspectives are routinely portrayed from auxilliary points of view.

Character oriented stories are generally narrow pictorial depictions.
Milieu oriented stories are generally sweeping panoramic depictions.
Event oriented stories are generally dramatic depictions of focal actions.
Idea oriented stories are generally time- and character-spanning depictions.
One noteable distinction for a story's primary orientation is who or what's most changed from the beginning to the ending.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.