Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » “well,” Johnny lied to Timmins, “ I am innocent after all.”

Author Topic: “well,” Johnny lied to Timmins, “ I am innocent after all.”
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I say this, or more correctly, can I write this?? does it sound as stupid to you as it does to me? I want it to flow well, but its from Johnny's POV and i feel it wouldnt be right if the reader didnt know johnny was lying
Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Use periods instead of commas, and I think that will help.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Putting "Johnny lied to Timmins" between the discourse marker "well" and the lie itself reads as if "well" is Johnny's lie.

Developing context to show that Johnny lied about being innocent would obviate the need for the narrator to tell that Johnny's lying.

As it is, it's punctuated as a dialogue attribution instead of an action tag or internal discourse. //well." Johnny lied to Timmins. "I am innocent, after all."//

"After all" in this usage is a parenthetical aside that a comma separates from a main clause for clarity. Otherwise it reads as though Johnny is innocent after all else or other guilty parties? I don't know, innocent after all other consideration? "After all" in the original seems to be an adverbial clause without a verb to modify.

//"well, after all, I am innocent, you know." Johnny lied to Timmins.// Even that last is from a narrator's point of view rather than Johnny's.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited May 14, 2009).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

Yea, that last one Extrinsic, I want it like that one, but im having trouble not stumbling on the word lied, seems out of place when in the POV of johnny no?
Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
What about taking out the "to Timmins" or do we need that information? That moves "Johnny lied" back to being a dialogue tag instead of an action.

"Well, after all, I am innocent, you know," Johnny lied.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

or how about

"Well, after all, I am innocent, you know," lied Johnny.

it doesnt come across as being kind of cheesey?

extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Johny's point of view seems like one not suited to directly tell that he's lying. Tobias Wolfe in This Boy's Life gets around outright telling he's lying by an introspective dip in personal psychic access, in first person no less, where it's easy to slip into detrimental telling. He meditates on his tendency to reinvent himself and try on different public personas through his lying, well, prevarications anyway.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
“Well,” Johnny said to Timmins. “ I am innocent after all.” The truth would only hurt him, wouldn't it?

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 16, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if we're in Johnny's POV, is it possible that we would already know he was lying based on what happened before?

If not, something like this might be less cumbersome:

Johhny lied. “Well, I am innocent after all.”

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
What about instead of simply stating Johnny lied say what Johnny thought about lying.

"Well, I am innocent after all." Johnny knew Timmins would buy the lie, the man was too gullible

Or

"Well, I am innocent after all." Johnny hated lying to Timmins.

Or

"Well, I am innocent after all." Johnny felt his stomach clench. He was never comfortable lying.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreeing with what's come before, I'll throw in a couple more ideas as I think it's a fun exercise to categorize different ways this dialogue might be used in affecting a reader's understanding of the story.

• Telling the reader what, because they won't guess...
    "Well, I am innocent after all," Johnny lied.

• Telling the reader why, because we've not told them previously...
    "Well, I am innocent after all," Johnny said, hoping Potter would not realize that it was, in fact, he who had stolen the X33 super space missiles with bonus coffee dispensers.

• Foreshadowing (with different levels of subtlety) so the reader doesn't burn our book when they find out later...
    "Well, I am innocent after all," Johnny said, quickly shifting his gaze to Watson's secretary.

or

Johnny blanched at Watson's suggestion. "Well, I am innocent after all."

or

"Well, I am innocent after all," Johnny said.
    Watson raised an eyebrow as he paused to review his notes. Johnny forced himself to ignore it, mentally working through a relaxation exercise.

• Using an unreliable narrator to reshape everything that went before the reveal...
    "Well, I am innocent after all."

• Using first person to change our distance...
    "Well, I am innocent after all," I said. I hoped he'd buy it, the last thing I needed was...

• 3rd person omniscient...
    "Well, I am innocent after all," Johnny lied.
    As Watson raised a disbelieving eyebrow and reviewed his notes neither he nor Johnny could foresee how much trouble this half truth would soon land them in.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

This is fantASTIC!

FYI - this is the first time that Johnny's innocence is disproven; throughout the pre story it can be assumed that johnny is innocent

skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
"Well, I tell you," Johnny said, "It was me, I killed them all--your whole family--and now..." He stepped towards Timmins. "...I am going to gut you, too."
He pulled out a small swiss army knife from his pocket and clicked open the tiny blade.
Timmins didn't move, just continued munching on the carrot and watching him with big brown eyes. The other rabbits seemed to know and bounced back into the hutch.
Yeah, he was always the dumb one, Johnny thought as leaned over the wire to grab him.

(I just thought that since he was guilty, he ought to admit it in one of the universes)

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 16, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

An hour later, Johnny was using the same tiny pocketknife to slice Timmins' remainders into strips small enough for a stew. He wasn't a bad guy, he told himself. Why should it bother him? It didn't bother him. Timmins was a rabbit, for Pete's sake.

And then he realized he was talking to himself out loud: "Timmins is a rabbit, for Pete's sake," and he had to take that as an indication that it did bother him.

He sliced off a strip of Timmins and flicked it into the stew pot.

Well damn it, why shouldn't it bother him? Sure he was a professional, and he didn't, as a matter of practice, let himself get attached to his targets, but this one had been different. He hadn't wanted to take the job, but when the rabbit he knew only as "Bogart" had pushed the envelope across the table, and when Johnny had flipped through the contents and counted the bills...well, how do you turn down something like that?

Johnny was a hitman, though, not a con artist. He had spent many years developing the moral numbness required to kill a complete stranger, but betraying a friend was different. And there had been a time when he had called Timmins friend.

But that was a long time ago.

[This message has been edited by wetwilly (edited May 16, 2009).]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, wetwilly, that is definitely longer than 13 lines....
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Sorry. I thought that only applied to "real" writing.
ewpierce
Member # 8568

- posted      Profile for ewpierce   Email ewpierce         Edit/Delete Post 
Devnal - If this is the first time that Johnny's innocence / guilt is proven, why are you using an attribute tag to show this presumably important development? IMO, it'd be more effective to let the reader think he's telling the truth, and then reveal the truth in a scene - internal dialog or something else.

Even better might be to show him lying about something unrelated, as this raises issues of character and gets the reader wondering if he's lying to Timmins too.

My $.02.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

wetwilly, you never know when some just-for-fun writing around here can turn into "real writing" (or, should we call it "creative writing"?) Besides, all writing is real writing, because it's written.

You'll notice that I didn't cut it to 13 lines.

wetwilly
Member # 1818

Hmm... I have been wanting to write a hitman story for quite some time, KDW. I've just never developed it any further than wanting to write about a hitman. It's been done so well so many times that I can't think of anything to add to to it. Maybe this is just it: a hitman with a moral dilemma over having to whack his childhood pet.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Don't tell me that, wetwilly. Then I'll have to cut it to 13 lines.
Devnal
Member # 6724

LoL - we should have set the line up as a challenge. Thanks for the input everyone!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.