Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Jobs in politics

Author Topic: Jobs in politics
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

In the course of my latest novel (Graveyard, for those who know me), my MC gets a job working in a governor's office during election season. Trouble is, I've never worked in politics, so I have no idea what kind of work she might be doing. Is there anyone with any knowledge of this field that would be willing to answer my questions, either here or by email?

Some details:
-it's a secondary world setting, with technology aproximately equivalent to the 1970's and 80's (aka no computers)
-it's a one-party system, so there are two candidates from the same party to 'choose' between
-media is government-controlled
-the job the MC gets is kind of a make-work job, because the governor hired her as a favor to her mother, and the MC has no previous experience in politics

It's a very small part of the novel, but I just want to add some realism.

Thanks so much!

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, there were computers around in the 70s and 80s... my mom got a degree in computer science in 1973 and I think such programs existed back in the 50s and 60s as well (at least in the States).

I've never worked in an office, but I've done some volunteer beat stuff around election time. For the volunteers, there's lots of door-to-door stuff, leaflets, phone calls, putting up signs, handing out flyers and stickers, etc. So behind the scenes you'd need someone to coordinate said supplies, volunteers and/or phone calling (which all seems pretty grunt-work to me).

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my first job, post University, in 1978, working with computers; they were already well established in business at that time. But as a secondary world you can do pretty much what you want, technologically speaking.

Most political campaigns, as noted, just need grunt work. However with your two-candidates-in-the-same-party system, I'm not sure how things would differ, especially if you have state-controlled media - is the state trying to create an illusion of choice for the public, or what? Does the state favour one candidate over another (usually, in one-party systems, that tends to be the case, openly or not). Without knowing more about your social system I am trying to work out just how the election you're talking about would actually work and why there would even BE campaigning (campaigns cost money and a one-party system without opposition wouldn't need to divert money to campaigns, nor does it seem likely thata one-party system would allow prospective candidates to spend/use their own, or publicly raised, resources, on campaigning).

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Kitti - Yes, I know there were computers around then; my parents met in the late 1960s through computer dating. But it's my bad for not being clear enough about that. So other technology was more like the 70's and 80's, but in my world, there are no computers, cell phones, blackberries, or other wireless technology.

I'll have to think about how much campaigning there would be. I suppose it's lame that I'm only thinking about this at this point, but come to think of it, the public doesn't have any say in who gets elected. It depends entirely on a Council of religious figures.

On the other hand, the current governor is unusual in that she actually cares what her constituents think. So maybe I'll use the phone call and door to door area after all. The Council might frown on it, but the governor would ignore them.

Any other thoughts? Maybe less about campaigns, and more about what a governor's staff might do?

Just thinking aloud about this is helping me greatly, so thank you!

[This message has been edited by BoredCrow (edited June 01, 2009).]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
You could also have her just taking constituent phone calls or answering letters. That's something simple that politicians need staff to do.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. Gotcha. Having not personally been around in the 70s, I don't know much about it, just happened to know about the computers from family history.

Thinking more about it, you could also have your girl stuffing envelopes or compiling informational packets. I can't think of anything more mind-numbingly boring that still has to get done...

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for Mig           Edit/Delete Post 
There are plenty of jobs in a state governors office. Not all, and probably most, are not involved in the politics of an election. They are certainly interested and aware of the political implication of some of what they do, but most of the work is non-political and would get done the same way regardless of the party in power. I live in Florida, so check your own state's governors website for more ideas, but try this link to Florida Governor Crist's website that lists various members of his staff and the jobs that they perform: http://www.flgov.com/meet_staff

I hope this helps.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some ideas for odd jobs that may be needed around an office type place, since she's the governor I'm sure she'll have an office. I'm assuming she has a staff who will also have offices.

Organizing, alphabetizing, filing - reports, books, assingments

Copying, either handwritten or if there are copy machines

Getting coffee, or food

Sharpening pencils, getting office supplies, delivering office supplies

Stuffing envelopes with pay stubs, reports, assignments

Delivering memos, messages, running errands

Getting the mail, sorting the mail, hand delivering the mail, sending mail

Answering the phone, taking messages, keeping track of appointments

Custodial work, emptying trashbins, cleaning the eating area

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Mig - D'oh, that is an excellent and obvious idea! Silly me for not thinking of it, but thank you for pointing it out to me.

Satate - I think Celeste would not deal well with having to get coffee for everyone XD. But she would have to deal with the mail. Thanks for the ideas!

And thanks again to everyone; I think I've got what I was looking for.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
writing speeches
recording opponents speeches
calling donors for money
analyzing opponents for weaknesses
rewriting speeches to attack opponent's weaknesses
arranging TV ads
teaching the candidate how not to look like a jerk on TV
calling donors for more money
rewriting speeches in convenient 5 second soundbites
getting the candidate on the Late Show
teaching the candidate how not to look like a jerk on TV, part 2
researching policy
rewriting speeches to include some policy ...

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.