Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Using all the tropes

Author Topic: Using all the tropes
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to a cool flash contest (max 750 wds)that challenges us to untrope the tropes. Strange Horizons published an article about stories they've seen too often and don't want to see anymore, Brainharvest challenges us to use the banished tropes to create art:

http://www.brainharvestmag.com/2009-brain-harvest-mega-challenge/

Here is a link to the article that inspired the contest:

http://strangehorizons.com/guidelines/fiction-common.shtml

Sorry, I don't know how to make these links more UBB friendly.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

OOPS! upon further reading, I noticed that there is a $5.00 'reading fee' per entry. That kind of puts a different spin on the 'contest', doesn't it. Might be a good idea to have our own version on HatRack in the challenges.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. This inspired me. I combined two tropes, first-person-POV, and present tense to write what might win a Most Annoying award here at Hatrack.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I combined two tropes, first-person-POV, and present tense to write what might win a Most Annoying award here at Hatrack

Just don't submit it for the contest -- I don't think brain harvest would consider that a trope. Their main page has 9 stories, 6 of which are first person (and two of those are present tense).

I agree with most of Strange Horizon's tropes, but there are a few that make me go "hmmm...". Like 35. Twee little fairies with wings fly around being twee. Really?

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
How about that movie "Battle for Terra"? That's a perfect example of "twee little fairies fly around being twee". It also delves into "Evil humans destroy their own world and come to another one to live and (probably) destroy", another common plot you see in movies and stories these days.

On a different subject, I'd be interested in having a contest like that for Hatrackers. Looking down that list at one point or another I did a mental scene or full-blown story about at least half those tropes.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I used the tropes from the Strange Horizons list:
1. Creative person is having trouble creating.
2. Visitor to alien planet ignores information about local rules, inadvertantly [SH's spelling] violates them, is punished.

I'd thought first-person-POV and present tense were a particularly loathsome combination, but maybe not. An offline critique group praised my story.

(Sidenote for Cheyne: The UBB codes are explained here. Simply posting the urls works.)

[This message has been edited by aspirit (edited June 22, 2009).]

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

Thanks aspirit. I will definitely study that page. I've never really checked into it before; just too lazy I guess.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.