Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Determining a novel's viability

Author Topic: Determining a novel's viability
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
As I said in another thread, I have once again hit The Block for my current novel. I first developed its plot well over ten years ago and I feel that it is outdated. It is a basic quest seeking an item that will defeat the great evil, a cliché.

So, I am again debating whether I should continue this project. I'm confident that I can complete a novel; I have in the past. However, at what point do you allow yourself to quit a novel because you realize that it will not work? How do you tell the difference between an "unworkable plot" versus "just giving up?"

I've tried reworking the plot for this novel so many times. I am curious to know if anyone here has given up on a novel because you realized it just could not work. Or am I simply seeking validation for quitting.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
The quest has not gone out of style and it likely never will. The story resonates too deeply with all of us. You want proof? Look at a few recent movies or books.

Taken is a quest--he's looking for his daughter, not to save the world, but it's still a quest.

Name of the Wind, which I recently finished, is shaping up to be a quest, too. He's looking for the reason his parents were killed and who did it. From the story as far as it's gotten, I think it's entirely possible that he'll find something else, rather than what he's looking for. Or maybe in addition to what he's looking for. Or maybe what he's looking for will find him. It's still a quest.

True, you have to differentiate YOUR quest from all the others. But that's in part what your characters and milieu do for you.

I wouldn't abandon it just because it's a quest. Just make it different from the other quests because of the motivations or obstacles or the richness of the characters, etc.

JMO

Not to mention The DaVinci Code (the search for the Holy Grail, possibly the quest.)

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited June 23, 2009).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you should quit. I think you should write it as if you know you have quit. Don't worry about how amazing and sellable this story will be, and give yourself permission to just write in it whatever they heck you want. You could make one of the characters your best friend from high school. You could write in fragments. In fact, you could write poor quality.

But then you will have had practice tying all the loose ends together, finding a successful conclusion to the story, and practice with characters, description, action and storytelling.

Then when you type, THE END, you can shelve it, and move on to your next brilliant successful great american Scifi/fantasy novel with a stronger set of tools.

Someone very wise once told me that everyone has at least five crappy books in them, and the point is to write them before your published. Good advice, I think.

~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, at what point do you allow yourself to quit a novel because you realize that it will not work?

I cannot say I've ever ceased working on a story just because I suddenly realized the plot would not work, but several of my manuscript files have been dragged-and-dropped into the dreaded Archives folder because I simply lost interest in them.

Oftentimes, while I am first learning about a particular technological or physics or scientific or metaphysical concept, a storyline based on my understanding of that concept at that time pops into my mind. I’m sure everyone here understands the condition of: once an inspiration makes its presence known, pen must meet paper (or, fingertips must meet keys), or else the writer loses what’s left of his/her mind.

Unfortunately, nearly as often, I’ve written over half the story, only to realize that my understanding and/or beliefs of that particular concept has multiplied geometrically since I started. Reading back on what I have done, I come to the additional realization that the plot now reads like an elementary school essay that was written by someone who spent more time playing kickball during recess than he did with his nose in a textbook. The next logical move might seem to be retrofitting this story with my new understand (or beliefs), but that has just about always led to a story that ends up a bigger mess than it is worth. Ergo, off to the Archives folder it goes.

Every once in a while, however, I’m able to find a worthwhile way of resurrecting the old plot with my new understandings and beliefs. Exempli gratia: a story based on my understanding of temporal science went through the exact same scenario I described above, and I burned much more time attempting to 'fix' it than I should have. But, on its eventual way to the Archives folder, something weird happened: I got an idea for a sequel, using the same characters, picking up right where I left off, and based on what I understood about temporal science now. The first 13 got fairly encouraging reviews on this board, so I kept with it. Now, it’s one of my favorite upcoming stories.

S!
S!

[This message has been edited by Crank (edited June 23, 2009).]

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in agreement with Algis Budrys, OSC and David Farland on this matter: Writer's Block occurs when (a) The characters, plot, or some aspect in not thought out well enough, or (b) You haven't made the commitment to write every day. The more you write, the easier you mind and body becomes accustomed to it.

One of the most common novice mistakes I've seen is waiting for inspiration to strike. Writing is work. Period. Sometimes it is uninspiring, sometimes there is a flair that reminds you why you chose to do it. Same thing with writing: If you settle down to accomplish something regularly, struggling on loveless days, there will be a lot less of them. Everything will eventually pan out to an average. If you don't, you'll always have days you want to give it up.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't give up. You're putting too much pressure on yourself with that decision. You don't need to give up, you just need to put that piece on the shelf for a while longer and MOVE ON. Moving on is freeing, liberating, exhilarating. You can write something else entirely. Something new. New characters, new ideas, new problems, new quests.

Often having something new to work on can unblock you on a previous project. If nothing else, at least you'll then be making forward progress - on a new project, but still forward progress. You can always go back to that old novel, but you may, in time, decide that it's unnecessary. For now, just put it aside.

Good luck!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate all of the comments. In many ways I haven't done enough world building; that much is certain. Even so, I sometimes feel that I'm writing a cliche with this story. That has been difficult to overcome.

In addition, it's hard coming back to writing after more than a decade. I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that my skills are not what they used to be.

I'll continue with this novel I'm sure. I don't have any more solid ideas at the moment anyway. I think I'm still in too much of a hurry to get the book done and so I'm taking shortcuts to get it completed. I haven't done the worldbuilding I should have.

Again, thanks for the comments.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
The hero's journey has been around before Beowulf . . . Gilgamesh was around thousands of years earlier. Yet look what Tolkien managed to do with the same sort of quest.

Of course Tolkien had an incredible milieu and fresh, interesting characters. If your characters are cliche, then you need to find something other than a quest for them.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that you shouldn't give up on an idea just because it's been done before. The conventional ideas have been worked to death, and what was novel and original 50 years ago is well represented today. But that said, many of the best writers out there are filling a niche that's been done before, and making it their own. R. A. Salvatore comes to mind. His books are typical sword and sorcery. Group of adventurers encountering a villain which they have to defeat. But they're some of the funnest books I've ever read.

However, if it's more than just a fear of being cliche, and if the story itself is bothering you, maybe it means some changes are in order.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Nate. Don't quit because the story may or may not be cliche, but if the story, for you, is dead then maybe it is time to move on. If the story doesn't inspire or move you then it will be difficult write well. Don't be afraid to shelve it and move on. The hard part is deciding if the story is dead or if it is simply a rough spot that just needs working through.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
How about if you try working on something else for a while? Let this one sit. You may come back to it with fresh eyes, or you may not want to come back to it at all.

In my opinion, no writing is wasted. All of it helps toward making you a better writer. The characters and themes that resonate with you fill find their way back to you in other work.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.