Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Hijackers Thread. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hijackers Thread.
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
It's one thing to disagree with the review, but quite another to go on and on about it, to the point of posting the reviewer's phone number and email so that your fans can flood the reviewer with snarky messages. No class.

And this isn't just bad behavior for Alice Hoffman. I've seen other writers do the same with bad reviews.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
*Man in ski mask with marshmallows and hotdogs returns.*

The A Hof sure can't take a crit, can she. Funny when some find a little success they think they are the all knowing and all seeing of their craft. Sometimes they move to Mexico. I am told that writers can be so sensitive. Lucky for us they don't hang out here. Right guys?

I do like these inferred titles attached to mysterious members. It is fun to try and figure out who is who. As great as the critiquers are here there is the one that is So Not Able to write a Proficient Prose yet hides his Empty Resume from everyone. Poser.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SchamMan89
Member # 5562

- posted      Profile for SchamMan89   Email SchamMan89         Edit/Delete Post 
LOUD NOISES
Posts: 105 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The Alice Hoffman thing made Page Six of the (NY) Post this morning...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Or She who Has Infinite Mundane Idiotic Quotes that Usually Annoy.

Man, she bugs me.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betsy Hammer
Member # 8139

- posted      Profile for Betsy Hammer   Email Betsy Hammer         Edit/Delete Post 
Better than that girl who can't Even Take a Stupid joke. Yikes.
Posts: 316 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DWD
Member # 8649

- posted      Profile for DWD   Email DWD         Edit/Delete Post 
Good blog post on the Alice Hoffman meltdown in JacketCopy. Includes Hoffman's official statement via her publicist, which, as one commenter points out, is a model for those aspiring writers who want to learn how to make non-apology apologies.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

I just received word that I am named in Michael Jackson's will. I will be receiving one (1) white glove--never worn; two (2) tubes of Jheri Curl Moisturizer; a gift certificate for plastic surgery (valued at $11,326.99) from Dr. I.M. Kuttem; and two words from the Beatles Catalog ("raccoon" and "barrow"--I've also been given some of the background noises from the Beatles' "Revolution #9").

Oh, and I've also been given lessons on moonwalking, but I think I'll just eBay those.

All in all, I've made out quite well.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
This topic is getting more and more like the ones in the Grist for the Mill area.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

There's a topic here?
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jack!

I want to voice in about crits. I don't spend much time in frag and feed mainly because I have been in a writing slump, and I don't have time. But if I give someone a crit I do it because of the work, not because I feel some sort of obligation to the person. If I care about the piece enough to say something about it I do. That includes if it's bad. Sure sometimes there is something I hate, and that's caring too, and I rip it apart. I love reading crits for me, even when it's "that's the most banal thing I've read" (true story) it means someone cared enough to read my thirteen lines and click the reply button.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy! I'll be lucky in the near future to visit Hatrack more than once a week, which means I'll often come into discussions late (if I post). This is my apology, in advance, for not keeping up.

Here are my thoughts on critiques. Critiquers should provide the kind of feedback the author requests for the piece. However, I've noticed most authors don't say what kind of feedback they want.

If you don't want short and shallow critiques, then say so when you ask for feedback.

"Bless, address, or press." An in-person workshop I've attended once (so far) uses this for critiquing. "Bless" is for when your story is finished and all you want to know is who likes (blesses) the piece and who doesn't.

"Address" is for when you have another question you'd like critiquers to address. For example: Is the science believable? A polite critiquer wouldn't address anything else unless the author asked for more.

"Press" is the default in our forums, I believe. It's for when you'll take any and all (honest) feedback. If the author asks critiquers to press the story, critiquers may simply state whether they like it or not, point out possible or apparent spelling and grammar errors, analyze the plot, discuss the characters, or comment on any other aspect of the piece.

Another thing, if you've posted your utter hatred for short critiques somewhere and some when on Hatrack, don't assume anyone will remember. Every time you ask for feedback, tell us what kind you want. Otherwise, you're asking for a "press" and should gratefully accept what you get.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Betsy, I liked your breath comment and laughed when I read it. That's a perspective I hadn't considered. Thanks.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
[2 cents]

This is an open forum. Submitters, empower yourselves. Ignore crits that aren't helpful, and realize that even if a critiquer states something as fact that it's still just their opinion. But to try to insist on a certain level of "quality" in crits, or that people always state, "I think..., It's my opinion that" is disingenuous. Of _course_ it's someone's opinion.

I guess I subscribe to the skadder school of crittin'.

Now, let's all stop complaining about crits and just start writing.

[/2 cents]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I went to Skadders school of critiquing. The final was a one page disertation on the best way to insult someone while feigning contructive politeness.

He gave me a C minus with a nine page reason why. I found it nice and helpful but I did feel depressed after I read it.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I never went to a school of critiquing. It shows.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned my critiquing out there, out on the streets. Runnin' with the critiquing gangs... gettin' hassled by the man because we didn't use no stinkin' adjectives. Except for "stinking", 'cause we kinda liked that one.

I seem to have this innate need to help people, and whenever I offer a critique, I genuinely hope the critiquee gets something useful out of it. Most of the time, rather than tell them what they should or shouldn't do, I prefer to offer suggestions or give them things to think about. But that's just me. I find the hardest part of critiquing is keeping in mind its their story, not my story.

Actually, I find that giving a detailed crit helps me, maybe more so than the recipient! It's easy to read something and have a subjective and visceral reaction to it - I like it or I hate it. But then asking myself why I love it or hate it forces me to really think about what works or doesn't work in a narrative. And that helps my writing.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
You know in ancient Athens they would actually vote on whom to exile. I'd suggest that as a solution here except I'd probably be first to go.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
I learned my critiquing out there, out on the streets. Runnin' with the critiquing gangs... gettin' hassled by the man because we didn't use no stinkin' adjectives. Except for "stinking", 'cause we kinda liked that one.

How's this for a crit. This made me laugh out loud.

Oh BTW, we did a quick head count, still under the quota. So Zero can stay.

monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Just read an excellent post about crits over at Jon Gibbs blog which reminded me of this thread. He makes a lot of excellent points in his "Critiquee's Charter"

http://jongibbs.livejournal.com/2009/07/22/

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.