Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Hook & Conflict - Need to be connected?

Author Topic: Hook & Conflict - Need to be connected?
keithjgrant
Member # 8678

- posted      Profile for keithjgrant   Email keithjgrant         Edit/Delete Post 
What are your thoughts on a hook that has little or nothing to do with the conflict in the story? In the story I'm working on now, the hook introduces a conflict that is resolved (or rather, rendered irrelevant) within the first page or two, but this sets up the premise of the story so I can begin to introduce the true conflict immediately thereafter.

Is it a cheap ploy, or do you think it can be done well?

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no one right way to structure a short story, I think. You have to write it in the best way to serve the story you're telling. You yourself said the first conflict is rendered irrelevant rather quickly. I think in a short story, everything you include needs to be relevant. It needs to have a reason for being there.

If that first conflict is necessary to the overall arc of the story, then I see no problem with it. If, however, you can delete the first two pages and still have the story do what it needs to in terms of the characters' development and fulfillment of the plot and theme, then you don't need it.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
If you break a story into three elements: plot, setting, and character, I think you are best served to have the opening related to at least one of the three. Tension is a type of relationship between the elements and would be a good thing to link the opening with, but I don't think it is mandatory.
Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
The key, I think, is not to be manipulative. If the reader reads the first few pages and thinks you have misled them, it's bad. If it sets the stage for the story, it's better.

If you think you've done it right, the best way to find out is to have someone else read it and tell you what they think.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
My gut reaction is that the conflict should be the hook. If you hook me with something else (say, some other conflict that gets resolved before the "real" story starts), then what have you actually hooked me to? I've gotten hooked into that first conflict, and then once you move on the the "real" conflict, you've got to hook me again anyways. The point of the hook is to hook me into reading your story. If you hook me into one thing and then replace it with your story in chapter 2, I don't really think that was a hook.

But, like everyone else who has replied to your question, I can't say for sure in your specific case without reading the story. Maybe it works for your story.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Your opening does relate to the main conflict if it shows something--such as a character trait, setting, or symbol--influencial in the main conflict.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Think of Clint Eastwood's IN THE LINE OF FIRE. It opens with him taking down some generic bad guys unconnected to the main action. We see how competent he is so believe in him as the action unfolds.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.